Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-15-2011, 06:50 PM   #1
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
Side loading books on the Fire

So I dropped a .mobi into the 'books' folder on my Fire, but I can't get it to show up in the reader. Has anyone had success doing this, yet?
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:55 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweminence View Post
So I dropped a .mobi into the 'books' folder on my Fire, but I can't get it to show up in the reader. Has anyone had success doing this, yet?
Uh, oh. Maybe reboot?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2011, 06:56 PM   #3
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Side loaded books show up under Documents! Apparently only Amazon books are recognized as books - b/c they are available in the Cloud & on your device. Side-loaded books are not in the Cloud - so are put into Documents.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:59 PM   #4
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Side loaded books show up under Documents! Apparently only Amazon books are recognized as books - b/c they are available in the Cloud & on your device. Side-loaded books are not in the Cloud - so are put into Documents.
A reviewer mentioned that non-Amazon stuff doesn't show up in the Carousel. Do book covers show in the Documents section? This sounds like it'll be messy with no way to organize your "Documents". Books mixed in with true documents. Oh boy.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:00 PM   #5
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Ah, right you are. But now, syncing seems broken. Crap.
Advert
Old 11-15-2011, 07:00 PM   #6
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes - the book covers show up in the Documents section and they show up on the Carousel too!
Old 11-15-2011, 07:00 PM   #7
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Are you sure that is the correct folder? Is there a kindle folder, that is the folder my android device uses? Or maybe a documents folder which is what my k2 uses?
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:01 PM   #8
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Yes - the book covers show up in the Documents section and they show up on the Carousel too!
Thank goodness!
Old 11-15-2011, 07:02 PM   #9
poohbear_nc
Now what?

And the table of contents, etc. are fully functional - so they are handled as books - just in the Documents section.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:05 PM   #10
gweminence
Fat Guy

Quote:
And the table of contents, etc. are fully functional - so they are handled as books - just in the Documents section.
This is correct, thanks Pooh.

Now, any idea why syncing isn't working? Oh, and page numbers, either. Just locations show up.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:08 PM   #11
gweminence
Fat Guy

Uh-oh. Syncing amazon-stuff works. Syncing non-amazon stuff...isn't. This requires more investigation. I will be VERY disappointed if my non-amazon books can't sync between my fire and touch.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:08 PM   #12
poohbear_nc
Now what?

My guess is anything side-loaded is going to be treated as a personal document. Only Amazon purchased media will appear in the correct areas - b/c of that toggle switch at the top of the screen: Device/Cloud.

So I wouldn't expect side-loaded books to sync - since they aren't on the Amazon servers. And so no page numbers either. Haven't tried dictionary look up yet.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:09 PM   #13
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Uh-oh. Syncing amazon-stuff works. Syncing non-amazon stuff...isn't. This requires more investigation. I will be VERY disappointed if my non-amazon books can't sync between my fire and touch.
That's what I was looking forward to!
Old 11-15-2011, 07:21 PM   #14
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
That sounds like it is working as designed. If you want it to sync you will have to email it to a Kindle or Fire to get it classified as archiveable and thus syncable. Sideloaded books on kindles have at best very limited syncing ability, usually only the farthest page read.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:22 PM   #15
gweminence
Fat Guy

Strange, I just added another book side-wise, and IT showed up under 'books', and NOT 'docs', while the first one I tried was the opposite...wierd.

Edit:

Curious-er and curious-er, this book also syncs -- and was not obtained from amazon.

Last edited by gweminence; 11-15-2011 at 07:25 PM.