Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-06-2007, 06:50 AM   #1
Clemenseken
eWriter
Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PB-IQ / Sony PRS-500
PDF features supported by iLiad? (like JavaScript, Jumping ...)

I do not have an iLiad yet but planning on getting one soon.

Is there a thread here that contains a "compatibility list" of PDF features?

Or, can anybody of you iLiad-owners tell me what features of the PC/MAC-Adobe-Reader is supported by the iLiad?

(I am thinking of the more advanced ones like Field-JavaScript, jumping etc.)

I'd be glad for any information!

Clemens
Clemenseken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:10 AM   #2
firekat
Groupie
firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

There is linking available in PDF documents. Internal document hyperlinks will work, but there is no "back button" so now you are left in the middle of your document with no easy way to get back to the original page. Very frustrating.

I have been waiting a long time for pdf bookmark support - still no idea when this promised function will or ever be implemented. This issue is my biggest frustration due to the size of some of my documents. Not having this function makes navigation of these documents very impractical and cumbersome at best. For the most part I don't use the iLiad as much as I would like because of this issue - other than the long boot time.

I have not played with the mobipocket format yet. As slow as the PDF functions are at times I like the fact that in the most basic sense they are plug & play. Just throw the document on it and you can read it. Monkeying around with formatting another type of file is just too time consuming right now. The small amount of experimentation with the mobipocket format I have conducted does not leave me overwhelmingly impressed. A lot of my documents have embedded images, charts, graphs and these do not translate well on mobipocket without what seems outwardly as a lot of finagling. Straight text documents seem to work fine.

The iLiad has been getting better with the occasional & incremental issuance of firmware upgrades. As far as I am concerned it is still very much a beta device. It will be close to a year since I purchased it and there is at least 30% to 40% of the functionality that was promised that has yet to be properly implemented. There are some hacker types here that have been able to do a fair amount with the device but for the lay person or someone who does not want to take the risk of bricking it there is not a lot out there other than waiting, and waiting for sporadic updates from iRex.

It is a nice device in that it limits the amount of paper that I have to carry (I use it mostly on my job). The only worth of it currently is that the weight and bulk of the paper that I would need to print out exceeds that of the iLiad. That is the only real redeeming factor for me right now. You can color me pessimistic but IMHO with the current functionality the iLiad is is certainly not worth the price of admission. If it would work as advertised (initially) I would be much happier. The idea was good, the implementation is just not there yet.

Funny though, I would still be very loath to be without the device at this point in time - go figure!

Good Luck To Us All!

Last edited by firekat; 07-07-2007 at 11:22 AM.
firekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert