Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-23-2010, 08:04 PM   #1
confusedgeek
confusedgeek began at the beginning.

Device: nookcolor
2 hours after getting it i bricked it, but ... all is almost well

this is a long post so i will ask the question 1st.

1. i cant launch the market after rooting i get an error about server not available. any solutions?

2. i cant launch gmail, it basically doesnt load. no error, just takes me back to the previous app.

3. the nook came with 1.0.0. can i upgrade to 1.0.1? should i?

4. what this 1.5.0 i have been reading about on the bn support site?

Ok, so got the nookcolor yesterday. after setting it up and surfing the web for a little bit i tried to root.

so i had prepared the sd card when i purchased the nook knowing that i would root it. but after turning it completely off, putting in the sd card, plugging it into the laptop, and then turning on the device nothing happened. after about 15 minutes. i disconnected and removed the sd card.

the device would not boot at all.

after searching the web for some options, i found the hold the power button and the volume keys.

finally some life, but it still wouldnt boot.

with the nook plugged into the laptop, i just stuck the sd card back in. the nook recognized it and installed the image.

the set up stuff happened, and i was able to log into all the services the instructions said to.

sorry for the long 1st post.

fyi: model bnrv200 and the serial starts with 200.

thanks.
confusedgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:11 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Sounds like those apps can't find a Google account on the device. Something got messed up along the way. I would suggest doing a factory reset and start rooting from scratch, ensuring that you're following each instruction to the letter. If you're using the auto process you should not have encountered Market and Gmail not working.

http://nookdevs.com/Flash_back_to_clean_stock_ROM

After you do the factory reset you should update the firmware to 1.0.1 and use the appropriate auto-nooter image (based on the 1.0.1 update).

With regard to the 1.5 update on the B&N website, doesn't that refer to the NOOK and not the NOOKcolor?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2010, 08:16 PM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
With regard to the 1.5 update on the B&N website, doesn't that refer to the NOOK and not the NOOKcolor?
Yeah, 1.5 is for the plain Nook.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:29 PM   #4
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
[QUOTE=confusedgeek;1290513]so i had prepared the sd card when i purchased the nook knowing that i would root it. but after turning it completely off, putting in the sd card, plugging it into the laptop, and then turning on the device nothing happened. after about 15 minutes. i disconnected and removed the sd card.
QUOTE]

do what was said above ...but you MUST follow the instructions as written ..don't miss anything and don't add anything..

when you put the SD card in and then plug the nookcolor into your computer..don't then turn the nookcolor on ..just let it sit there and wait a few mins, it will boot up by it's self
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:31 PM   #5
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
sorry ..double post

Last edited by iandix; 12-23-2010 at 08:32 PM. Reason: mistake
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2010, 10:34 PM   #6
debteb
Connoisseur
debteb doesn't litterdebteb doesn't litterdebteb doesn't litter

Device: NOOKcolor, EVO, HP Touchpad
Quote:
Sounds like those apps can't find a Google account on the device. Something got messed up along the way. I would suggest doing a factory reset and start rooting from scratch, ensuring that you're following each instruction to the letter. If you're using the auto process you should not have encountered Market and Gmail not working.

http://nookdevs.com/Flash_back_to_clean_stock_ROM

After you do the factory reset you should update the firmware to 1.0.1 and use the appropriate auto-nooter image (based on the 1.0.1 update).

I rooted my NC but couldn't launch youtube app so tried to do a factory reset as you said. I tried holding down the power button eight times but wasn't able to do that. Am I doing something wrong or not following the instructions properly?
debteb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:41 PM   #7
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You don't have to reset and re-root if YouTube isn't working. It's common for it not to work after you complete all of the rooting steps.

I hope I caught you in time.

During the rooting process were you able to login to YouTube the first time? Are you trying to access YouTube after rooting is finished?
Old 12-23-2010, 10:45 PM   #8
debteb
Connoisseur

Quote:
You don't have to reset and re-root if YouTube isn't working. It's common for it not to work after you complete all of the rooting steps.

I hope I caught you in time.

During the rooting process were you able to login to YouTube the first time? Are you trying to access YouTube after rooting is finished?
I think I kinda screwed up. I want to do a factory reset real bad and can't do it

Is my device bricked??
Old 12-23-2010, 10:55 PM   #9
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by debteb View Post
I think I kinda screwed up. I want to do a factory reset real bad and can't do it

Is my device bricked??
It's not bricked. The powering on and off eight times can be tricky.

This is why I strongly suggest installing ADB. You can use ADB to force the reboot 8 times.

http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_USB_ADB

Last edited by SCION; 12-23-2010 at 11:02 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:03 PM   #10
debteb
Connoisseur

Quote:
It's not bricked. The powering on and off eight times can be tricky.

This is why I strongly suggest installing ADB. You can use ADB to force the reboot 8 times.

http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_USB_ADB
Yeah it is tricky. Finally succeeded in doing the factory reset. Thanks a lot
Old 12-23-2010, 11:04 PM   #11
SCION
Séduisant

Yay!!! Great job.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:52 PM   #12
debteb
Connoisseur

Also, is there a reason why the pre-installed YouTube app on the rooted NC may not play? I did a factory reset just for that after rooting for the first time. Even after rooting the 2nd time I couldn't make the youtube app come up, it just dies.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:58 PM   #13
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by debteb View Post
Also, is there a reason why the pre-installed YouTube app on the rooted NC may not play? I did a factory reset just for that after rooting for the first time. Even after rooting the 2nd time I couldn't make the youtube app come up, it just dies.
That's what I was saying in the earlier post. As long as you were able to open the YouTube app the first time and login during the rooting process it's not uncommon for it not to open when you're done rooting. There's a reason behind it not opening.

I can help better if you let me know if YouTube opened the first time during rooting and you logged in through My Channel. I don't want to assume what happened.

If YouTube worked once and you logged in then just uninstall it and re-install it using this .apk file.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ql6v72qia20wkh7

Edit: I just realized you might not know how to uninstall apps (and I'm assuming you don't have ADB installed). Is Market working? If so, download and install Astro File Manager.

Last edited by SCION; 12-24-2010 at 12:03 AM.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:04 AM   #14
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
On my own NC, I rooted it using the original, manual process. I am preparing another new NC for my mother, and I used the auto-rooter this time. I'm a fairly technically minded guy, but those folks need some help on their instructions.

iandix is definitely correct on the bootup, you just have to sit and wait for it, my NC took 5 to 10 minutes before it showed virtually any reaction after plugging in the USB.

One more very important thing to note, something the developers don't feel the need to mention - one you're rooted, and up and running, you have to get that SD card out of that thing - you really don't want to reboot the NC a second time with the bootable SD card in it.
KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 02:17 AM   #15
debteb
Connoisseur

Quote:
That's what I was saying in the earlier post. As long as you were able to open the YouTube app the first time and login during the rooting process it's not uncommon for it not to open when you're done rooting. There's a reason behind it not opening.

I can help better if you let me know if YouTube opened the first time during rooting and you logged in through My Channel. I don't want to assume what happened.

If YouTube worked once and you logged in then just uninstall it and re-install it using this .apk file.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ql6v72qia20wkh7

Edit: I just realized you might not know how to uninstall apps (and I'm assuming you don't have ADB installed). Is Market working? If so, download and install Astro File Manager.
Youtube worked fine the first time. Market is working too. I think there is a problem with signing in with same account for Gmail and Youtube. I cleared Cache for the Youtube app using ES File Explorer and Youtube runs fine without login