Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-08-2012, 10:38 PM   #1
bugjd
bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, paperwhite, iPhone 4s, iPad
Will 'Time to Read' be implemented on older Kindle models?

Has anyone heard if there are plans to do a software update for the older Kindle models to get that new 'Time to Read' feature that is on the Paperwhite? I have no issues with my old Kindle 3G, but I'd really like that feature.

Thanks.
bugjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:52 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

I haven't heard. The text for those notices is very tiny so I'm not sure it would be legible on the lower resolution Kindles.
Advert
Old 10-08-2012, 11:07 PM   #3
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugjd View Post
Has anyone heard if there are plans to do a software update for the older Kindle models to get that new 'Time to Read' feature that is on the Paperwhite? I have no issues with my old Kindle 3G, but I'd really like that feature.

Thanks.
I'd be glad to lend you mine...
Why, oh why, can't it have page numbers?
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:09 PM   #4
bugjd
bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I haven't heard. The text for those notices is very tiny so I'm not sure it would be legible on the lower resolution Kindles.
ah, i hadn't even thought of that. thanks.

how do you like that feature? does it seem fairly accurate? that's one thing i miss about paper books, being able to easily see how long a given chapter will probably take before diving in for that "one last chapter" at night.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:13 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

I like the feature. It seems fairly accurate. I think the more you read the better it can gauge your reading habits and speed. I've been reading more slowly because I keep messing around with the new PW and features, but the more read w/o doing that the more accurate is seems to be.
Advert
Old 10-08-2012, 11:24 PM   #6
bugjd

Quote:
I like the feature. It seems fairly accurate. I think the more you read the better it can gauge your reading habits and speed. I've been reading more slowly because I keep messing around with the new PW and features, but the more read w/o doing that the more accurate is seems to be.
cool, thanks for the info.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #7
peartree
Enthusiast
peartree began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
I have a similar question about that feature. I have the Kindle Keyboard, with the little dots on the progress bar marking where the chapters begin and end. Sometimes, a book will be split into "part one," "part two," and so on, with smaller chapters in between. On the progress bar, though, those parts are the only chapter dots (although you can skip ahead with the d-pad to see how long a chapter will be). Is the time to read feature calibrated the same way? If it only divides the book into three or so parts, seeing something like "4 hours left in chapter" won't be especially helpful, you know?
peartree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:54 PM   #8
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugjd View Post

Thanks.
It has "unofficially" been there on the Kindle Touch long before the Paperwhite was even out, but I doubt that it will ever become officially available on the Kindle Touch, or on any other model. After all, Amazon wants to sell their Paperwhites now.

PS: The developer's forum has "uncovered" many new features of the Paperwhite way before Amazon officially announced them. Quite simply because most of the features were already present in the Kindle Touch 5.1.x firmware (light support, 758x1024 resolution, reading timer). Obviously, Amazon has been running the 5.1.x firmwares on their pre-production Paperwhites.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:32 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I think the feature's a bit silly myself. But as long as it doesn't take up any of the screen real estate that can be used by the book's text. They can implement all the silly features they want.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:38 PM   #10
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I think the feature's a bit silly myself. But as long as it doesn't take up any of the screen real estate that can be used by the book's text. They can implement all the silly features they want.
I would prefer a Page x of y myself, or the option for same on the bottom left, but Amazon seems to be adamant about concealing page numbers until the Menu is displayed. However, I have to say that xx minutes left to finish the chapter does give me a feel for how much longer the chapter continues. My favorite indicator was the strip along the bottom of K3s which gave us a visual indication of where we were in the chapter and book. I wish they would bring that back.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:14 PM   #11
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
I would prefer a Page x of y myself, or the option for same on the bottom left, but Amazon seems to be adamant about concealing page numbers until the Menu is displayed. However, I have to say that xx minutes left to finish the chapter does give me a feel for how much longer the chapter continues. My favorite indicator was the strip along the bottom of K3s which gave us a visual indication of where we were in the chapter and book. I wish they would bring that back.
I wish they would bring that back too. I really preferred that. We have the dotted line thingie on the home page, but it's not nearly as nice as having the chapter/book indicator at the bottom of the book.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:29 PM   #12
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
The 3.4 firmware shrunk the % complete indicator, yet it's still readable. I suspect that it could be implemented in a readable way.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:31 PM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
My favorite indicator was the strip along the bottom of K3s which gave us a visual indication of where we were in the chapter and book. I wish they would bring that back.
It never left. You did.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #14
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
It never left. You did.
That is true!

I find it interesting that while looking on the Amazon website last night I noticed the Kindle Keyboard still maintains the highest user approval of the all the Kindle eInk e-readers. That speaks highly for the quality and engineering with which it was built!
Old 10-13-2012, 11:05 AM   #15
Antoinekamel
Addict
Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ABC W p2
Thumbs up

Quote:
I find it interesting that while looking on the Amazon website last night I noticed the Kindle Keyboard still maintains the highest user approval of the all the Kindle eInk e-readers. That speaks highly for the quality and engineering with which it was built!
Yeah, public acllamation says it all. Britney Spears sells much more than Mozart because she's simply better after all.

[troll mode off]
Antoinekamel is offline   Reply With Quote