Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-01-2010, 06:56 AM   #1
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
New Recipe features supporting Kindle masthead images

0.6.37 introduces the ability for recipes to specify a masthead image to be used when generating a periodical for the Kindle.

The masthead image is displayed in three locations on the Kindle:
  • From the Home page, toggling right while the periodical is highlighted
  • At the top of the Section List
  • At the top of the first article in the first section

You have two options for generating a masthead image:
  • Add a 'masthead_url' property to your recipe, pointing to an online image resource to use as the masthead:
    Code:
        masthead_url = 'http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/misc/nytlogo379x64.gif'
    To identify a suitable masthead image, go to the site your recipe downloads from and look for a logo with proportions approximately 6:1, e.g., 600 wide x 100 tall. The exact dimensions are not critical, only the proportions. You may need to experiment to find one you like. Tested formats include GIF, JPG, BMP, and PNG.
  • Add a get_masthead_title() method, specifying a text string to be rendered as the masthead image:
    Code:
        def get_masthead_title(self):
            return 'My Custom Masthead Title'
    If 'masthead_url' is not defined in your recipe, or it fails to load, then the BasicNewsRecipe() will render the text returned by get_masthead_title() as the masthead. If you don't have this method in your recipe, the friendly name of the recipe will be used.

By default, existing recipes will use their name property as the text for the customized masthead.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:43 AM   #2
cisaak
cisaak began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
0.6.37 introduces the ability for recipes to specify a masthead image to be used when generating a periodical for the Kindle.

The masthead image is displayed in three locations on the Kindle:
  • From the Home page, toggling right while the periodical is highlighted
  • At the top of the Section List
  • At the top of the first article in the first section

You have two options for generating a masthead image:
  • Add a 'masthead_url' property to your recipe, pointing to an online image resource to use as the masthead:
    Code:
        masthead_url = 'http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/misc/nytlogo379x64.gif'
    To identify a suitable masthead image, go to the site your recipe downloads from and look for a logo with proportions approximately 6:1, e.g., 600 wide x 100 tall. The exact dimensions are not critical, only the proportions. You may need to experiment to find one you like. Tested formats include GIF, JPG, BMP, and PNG.
  • Add a get_masthead_title() method, specifying a text string to be rendered as the masthead image:
    Code:
        def get_masthead_title(self):
            return 'My Custom Masthead Title'
    If 'masthead_url' is not defined in your recipe, or it fails to load, then the BasicNewsRecipe() will render the text returned by get_masthead_title() as the masthead. If you don't have this method in your recipe, the friendly name of the recipe will be used.

By default, existing recipes will use their name property as the text for the customized masthead.

G
I've used get_masthead_title to add a text masthead but the masthead truncates when viewed on my Kindle. I think I should use css to reduce the masthead's font size but do not know how. Any suggestions?
cisaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2010, 10:30 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisaak View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
I've used get_masthead_title to add a text masthead but the masthead truncates when viewed on my Kindle. I think I should use css to reduce the masthead's font size but do not know how. Any suggestions?
I know the text is a viable masthead and hopefully someone will help you with this problem. One solution would be to create a size appropriate image file with your text on it. Then point to the image.

Good Luck with a css based solution.
DoctorOhh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:17 AM   #4
cisaak

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I know the text is a viable masthead and hopefully someone will help you with this problem. One solution would be to create a size appropriate image file with your text on it. Then point to the image.

Good Luck with a css based solution.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will develop a masthead image through trial and error. When successful, how do I point to the image? I do not maintain a website.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:44 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. I will develop a masthead image through trial and error. When successful, how do I point to the image? I do not maintain a website.
There are many sites to host your image for free. Try this list.
Advert
Old 08-27-2010, 09:04 AM   #6
cisaak

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
There are many sites to host your image for free. Try this list.
I copied and edited an image from the newspaper web site and it worked!! Thanks for your help.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:08 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
I copied and edited an image from the newspaper web site and it worked!! Thanks for your help.
Your welcome, I'm glad you manage to get it to your liking.

Tags
recipe