Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-09-2010, 06:54 PM   #1
BryanDanielson
BryanDanielson began at the beginning.

Device: none
Is it possible to assign books to folders designated to various genres?

Hello.

So I've just recently acquired a Sony Reader Touch and, after quickly getting used to its imperfections, am now strongly in love with it. Were the headphone jack only a tiny bit wider, I'd shamelessly prove that.

Anyways, I've stuffed an 8gb Pro Duo and a 2gb SD card into the slots and have transferred so far about 800 or so books/pdfs and whatnot. Using Calibre, I have spent hours upon hours renaming file after file to correct all the naming errors so I can have a relatively tidy collection amassed on my reader. Problem is, it still looks a bit of a mess.

I was wondering, is there any way for me to compartmentalise the collection into various folders all related to their various genres - i.e. have my history books in one folder, my classics in another, and my 'improve your sex life' self-help books in yet another? It would really help when I manage to get a lady back and quickly want to recall what the clitoris is and exactly where it's located...
BryanDanielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:10 PM   #2
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
The short answer is no but, as you use calibre, why not use the collections facility in Calibre... you can tag books as history, classics, self-help ;-) etc and then use collections from Menu on the Touch. Not quite as simple as stuffing in relevant folders but works pretty well.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2010, 07:21 PM   #3
BryanDanielson
BryanDanielson began at the beginning.

Device: none
Going to take a looooong time of editing, but I suppose that's good enough. Thanks!
BryanDanielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:39 PM   #4
RonF
Zealot
RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-300, K3 WiFi, K4 NT, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanDanielson View Post
Going to take a looooong time of editing, but I suppose that's good enough. Thanks!
You can mass edit the books - ie hilight all the Thrillers and just add tag etc....
RonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:41 AM   #5
Houndx
Groupie
Houndx doesn't litterHoundx doesn't litter

Device: A81 MID, Dell Streak
Are nested collections supported on the 600? If not then doing it this way will mean losing the ability to have book series grouped together on the device.
Houndx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2010, 12:10 PM   #6
R0B_IX
Enthusiast
R0B_IX began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
I'm not sure if nested collections are possible, but it is possible for a book to be part of two collections. For instance, on my device "The Colour of Magic" is in both the 'Discworld' series collection and my 'Fantasy & Sci-Fi' tag collection.
R0B_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 01:47 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No - collections are single level but, as has been said, a book can be a member of multiple collections.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote