Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-07-2012, 08:03 AM   #1
jolfc
Enthusiast
jolfc began at the beginning.

Device: nook glow light
calibre novice,

i hope someone can help me. i have used ebook library for my prs 505 for 4 years nearly now. anyway my computer it was installed on broke and i had to get a new computer. i was not able to deauthourise my reader as computer did not turn on.
i tried to install the book library from the cd on mynew computer and it will not do it. ithink it is something to do with it being windows 7 64 bit,
i tried the new ereader for pc sony download and the set up was so confusing compared to the library on my old computer. also it tells me the device has been reported lost to sony when i try to sync.
so my question is how easy is calibre to use. is it a case of when i buy an epub book i just press open on the download and it is on my sony.so sorry for the question but i am really not very computer minded and easily confused,
any help much appreciated, thank you.
jolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:24 AM   #2
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
Calibre is a databased book managing program. It doesn't download books and apply DRM the way that Sony library or Adobe Digital Editions does. You don't need to install the Sony library program to download books or load them on your reader. ADE will download them for you. Where Calibre shines is in organizing your books, attaching correct metadata, converting to desired formats, and sending them to your device in an organized fashion. There are some things that Calibre can't do to books with DRM.

To open your already purchased books on your new computer, you'll need to authorize your computer. The first time you launch ADE, it will ask you for your user name and password. After that, you should be able to redownload them from where you purchased them. Personally, I find DRM to be unwieldy, in that it prevents Calibre from converting my books or changing fonts. I also worry about being able to use the books in the future in circumstances like you're facing. I use a Calibre plug-in to strip the DRM as I move the book into Calibre and routinely back up my Calibre libraries. We don't discuss DRM removal here, but a Google search for ApprenticeAlf should provide all the tools you need.

If you use Calibre, there is one thing you can do that will really corrupt the database. When you add a book to Calibre, Calibre puts a copy of the book into the Calibre library. Any changes you make to the book in Calibre will applied to this copy. It's really important that you leave the Calibre library folders alone. It really seems to offend some people to find folders in the Calibre library that aren't named to their own naming conventions. If you might be one of those people, put the Calibre library someplace that you never go so that you don't have to see it.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert