Notices

Old 10-13-2010, 02:05 PM   #1
québecoise
Member Retired
québecoise began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek libre pro
please send kobobooks an email

Hello,
I posted a question about kobobooks on another forum, but some people suggested it would be better to post it here. My question is--why does Kobobooks not provide customer reviews? I sent them an email, saying I wished they had reviews, and not just ratings. I mentioned that--when I see something interesting on Kobobooks--I often end up moving away from the site, going back to Amazon, because I want to read what their customers had to say. What I'm hoping is that other people agree with me and would consider sending an email to Kobobooks, asking them to put reviews. I'm not a computer expert, but it doesn't seem that it would be all that difficult to add reviews to their site.
Hope people follow up on this.
Susan
québecoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:49 PM   #2
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I do the same thing!
Duiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2010, 05:42 PM   #3
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
I thought they did? Isn't it under 'notes', or have i been writing stuff in that box for nothing!?
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:09 PM   #4
mamasue
Zealot
mamasue began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
This is an interesting one!

I always write a review when I've read a book bought from kobobooks, as well as giving it a rating.

When I try to access the reviews, I get a message saying there are none!

Heeeellllllllooooooooooo????????!!!!!!!!!! I wrote reviews my self! WTF??

I have contacted Kobo x3 about this without a satisfactory response.
mamasue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:26 PM   #5
québecoise
Member Retired

Just to make things clear, here's the first email I got from Kobobooks, in answer to my request to put reviews--
"Hi,
Thank you for contacting us. We do not provide reviews on our site, only star ratings.
Sincerely,
The Kobo Team"

Having received that reply, I tried again, thinking they hadn'tunderstood me. Here's their second email:

"Hi Susan,
I have forwarded off your feature request to the development team for the Kobo website in order for them to consider adding customer reviews to the website instead of just having the stars where customers rate 1-5 out of 5 stars."

This reply seemed much more promising than the first one, which is why I suggested that other people send them an email to help push things along . . .
Susan
Advert
Old 10-13-2010, 07:39 PM   #6
mamasue
Zealot
mamasue began at the beginning.

Those are the exact same two responses I received....several weeks ago now.
mamasue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:52 PM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
We've had a bit of a related discussion in this thread recently: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...83#post1154583
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:02 PM   #8
québecoise
Member Retired

Hello, Taming,
Thanks. I looked at the thread. Did any of the people who wanted reviews contact Kobo? Mamasue did, as she said, and got the same somewhat lukewarm response I did. I still think it would help if more people got in touch with them.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:38 AM   #9
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Welcome to MR Susan!

The Alouettes are starting to look good again.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:23 PM   #10
ZombWii
Enthusiast
ZombWii began at the beginning.

I think 'written reviews' have a certain value of course. However, from a retailers standpoint you have to consider that they have...what 80,000+ products, and each would have 'reviews' potentially, and reviews like forums (e.g. this thing we are currently on) need oversight and checking, and moderation to ensure that bad and inappropriate stuff is not mixed in with the proper and appropriate stuff, and that, as on Amazon some time ago, authors are not writing reviews for their own product...and also that customer complaints regarding the tangibles are not part of a book review.... Does "I paid $8 for this and it doesn't justify properly and I think it may be missing images...I wish I has bought a Kindle!" really belong next to book reviews regarding the nature and quality of the writing? I think those belong in an exchange with customer support, not a book review.
I think it's a world of headaches that Kobo can, at this point in development, and with their "underdog" status, choose to justifiably ignore.
ZombWii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:32 PM   #11
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It also makes me laugh to think that so many people seem to feel that Kobo can or should immediately "fix" whatever they decide they want--immediately, if not sooner. I would really love to know what their development plan is--the order in which they are working on improvements. I understand why they don't share this road map publicly--things change and people aren't very understanding about why they change--but it sure would be nice to know what they have on their list .
Old 10-14-2010, 07:34 PM   #12
québecoise
Member Retired

Taming,
I have found kobobooks to be quite responsive to requests in general, so I am more optimistic than you are about their ability to make improvements. Also, ZombWii, just to clarify something--when I talked about reviews on kobobooks, I was talking about book reviews, not reviews of their reader. I can see why they might not want criticisms of the readers, especially comparisons with Kindle. They sell so many books, though, that I don't think they would care that much about the occasional negative review. Yes, they would have to have someone check the things you mention, like authors praising their own books, but they have plenty of employees who could do that job.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:56 PM   #13
taming
Trying for calm & polite

I'm absolutely impressed by Kobo. I am unimpressed by posters who want everything immediately. If my recent posting implied something else, I'm sorry.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:12 PM   #14
Achan
Recently Kobofied
Achan has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo wifi
Hi québecoise! Actually, I think ZombWii is also referring to book reviews on kobobooks. I believe that the only reason why he mentioned hardware (re: "I wish I has bought a Kindle!") is because the device and book source are pretty intertwined, such that people who are dissatisfied with a book purchased from Kobobooks and reading it on their Kobo may wish that they have purchased a Kindle and bought the same book from Amazon. I also believe that they should eventually incorporate user reviews (i agree that it just makes sense), but ZombWii's points made me realize that they'll probably have to hire more people to do so...or else end up sacrificing some of the service or software improvement aspects (smaller resources for a much smaller firm).
Achan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:44 AM   #15
québecoise
Member Retired

Hello, Achan,
Nice to hear from you. When I said I wished Kobobooks had customer reviews, I was thinking that it would bring in more customers, so hiring more people wouldn't be a problem. I'm actually trying to drum up business for Kobobooks, since I think Amazon needs a strong rival. I don't think monopolies are good for consumers. (Also, I'm still a little troubled by the fact that Amazon erased 1984 from people's Kindles.) Sending an email to Kobobooks doesn't force them to do anything; it just let's them know about customer demand. If they don't have the staff to handle reviews at the moment, then they won't put reviews, and that's that. Most companies welcome customer feedback. So if you want reviews, let Kobobooks know . . .