Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: WHAT DEVICE HAVE YOU BOUGHT *THIS* YEAR?
Kindle 230 35.49%
Sony 210 32.41%
Nook 77 11.88%
Kobo 70 10.80%
Backlit LED (incl iPad) 108 16.67%
Other 104 16.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 648. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-08-2011, 05:56 AM   #166
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
***Any conclusions yet, concerning this survey?***

Hi Boxcorner. I was particularly watching how things developed over the Christmas period as newcomers with their first devices joined in.

I think it's interesting to see that, while members with more experience of ebook reading were buying Kindles, but mostly other devices over the course of the year, Kindle maintained its slight lead over Sony whilst other devices seemed to slip further behind over the holiday period.

It would suggest hype-value, perhaps. The word 'Kindle' seems to have become a catch-all for reading devices in general, and those buying for others -- with the best intentions and probably very often correctly -- have homed in on the actual Kindle machine itself.

I must confess that I'd expected to see an even greater Kindle surge here, but few newcomers have joined the poll. I have been welcoming all new mambers, as I usually do, though, and it does seem that the majority have joined up with a Christmas Kindle as their first ebook reader.

If there's been any value to the poll, it will be when -- IF they're ever revealed -- we can compare the poll of MR members (experienced and newbies) against general Christmas sales.

Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:06 AM   #167
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I think it would be interesting to see how the Kindle compares to the Sony outside the US and then run another poll a year from now.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:47 AM   #168
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
You're maybe right, Prof. I wonder if things might change in the next twelve months, though, with Kindle. It does seem right now that it's not by any means the best device for users outside the USA and possibly UK. I'd certainly never dream of a Kindle here in continental Europe. I agree that there are now many decent alternatives to my Sony, but Kindle ain't of of 'em. But who knows what will happen next? Amazon isn't exactly up-front with its plans. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:26 PM   #169
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Don't you mean back lit LCD?
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:53 PM   #170
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
You're maybe right, Prof. I wonder if things might change in the next twelve months, though, with Kindle. It does seem right now that it's not by any means the best device for users outside the USA and possibly UK. I'd certainly never dream of a Kindle here in continental Europe. I agree that there are now many decent alternatives to my Sony, but Kindle ain't of of 'em. But who knows what will happen next? Amazon isn't exactly up-front with its plans. Cheers. Neil
I am thinking that things are going to change in the next 12 months. There are more and more Europeans showing up on the Kindle boards here and at Kindle Boards. The Kindle is an inexpensive but well designed and tested device. Amazon's English books selection is pretty good in Europe. Which is why I would love to see a poll this year and a poll next year.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote