Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 02-17-2011, 06:33 PM   #316
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Use the BACK key after you get to the wrong location. Using that key permanently fixed the same problem for me.

Both of you have DVJ 2. I have DVJ 1. You NEED to use the dots: mt.24.29 from the Home screen or within the book. I can get away without the dots.
I have DVJ-2 and DVJ-1. I also have the following osnova Bibles: NET, WEB, MHenry Commentary.

DVJ-1 instructions: (works from home page or from within a Bible)
- Direct jump to a Book at Chapter 1, Verse 1: type bb.1, double-click.
- Direct jump to a Book at verse 1 of desired chapter: type bb.cc, double-click.
- Direct jump to a Book at any desired verse of any desired chapter: type bb.cc.vv, double-click.

DVJ-2 instructions: (works only within a Bible)
While reading your OSNOVA Bible, press Menu, then press Index and type the typical DVJ abbreviation for the passage you want but instead of periods use spaces (for example “jn 3 16″).

Test
Home page:
1) mt 24 29 generates one hit on the NET Bible at location 33413. Hitting the enter key (5-way) takes me to the notes, not the scripture reference.

2) mt2429 generates zero hits

3) mt.24.29 generates 3 hits:
-NET Bible, location 19601, the scripture reference
-Matthew Henry's Commentary, location 33058, the scripture reference
-WEB Bible, location 37203, the scripture reference

From within a specific Bible (WEB, for example);
1) mt 24 29 generates zero hits

2) mt2429 generates zero hits

3) mt.24.29 generates one hit, location 37203, the scripture reference

Last edited by speedlever; 02-18-2011 at 01:24 PM.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:30 PM   #317
KRorschachZ
Update
KRorschachZ doesn't litterKRorschachZ doesn't litterKRorschachZ doesn't litter

Device: kindle DX graphite, we need update/firmware with optios PDF Kindle 3
Have you thought about publishing it in more languages?
KRorschachZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:19 AM   #318
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
Regarding the DVJ search issues (wrong destination). It is a well-documented bug with the Kindle 3 software. Try changing the font size and the issue may go away. See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=200 Amazon promised me to fix this four-five months ago and nothing has happened yet. That's why I developed DVJ-2 to bypass their bug. If your version does not have DVJ-2 please send me an email and I will send the updated file.

Detailed instructions on using OSNOVA publications are here: http://osnova.com/2010/12/09/279/

sirmaru is correct. There was a time when periods were ignored in searches on Kindle 3; however, it lead to multiple results (ge.2.11 or ge211 would result in ge.2.11 and ge.21.1). I made an update enforcing the periods. If you prefer the optional use of dot (as does sirmaru) email me, and I'll send you such a file. Sirmaru, I can update your to include DVJ-2 and still ignore the periods. Note however that if you update the file you will lose your highlights and notes and the ability to sync.

===

KRorschachZ, yes. So far, I have done Latin, French, Russian, Chinese, Spanish. Amazon sells only French and Latin; email me if you are interested in others.

Last edited by osnova; 02-18-2011 at 03:25 AM.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:24 PM   #319
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Thank you!

I was about to post that I found another reference that did the same thing (and linked to the same wrong location) and was wondering if it was something else, I guess it is. I will comment to Amazon about this too.

So, regarding some of our debate further up thread about who has DVJ-2 or not, the correct way to find out is to press Menu from within the version you are using and if the Index shows up, you have DVJ-2. I do not have the DVJ-2 version of the NET Bible, but I do have the DVJ-2 version of the Unabridged Matthew Henry's Commentary.

As reference for others (since we were apparently a little confused as to the differences):
DVJ Instructions and Hints not repeated due to length.

DVJ-2 Instructions are short, so I will repeat them here.
Quote:
If you know DVJ, then DVJ-2 is a piece of cake. While reading your OSNOVA Bible, press Menu, then press Index and type the typical DVJ abbreviation for the passage you want but instead of periods use spaces (for example “jn 3 16″).
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:05 AM   #320
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am happy to report that ESV has done it. They integrated the DVJ-2 (keeping the DVJ book abbreviations!) and 5-way controller moves between books OR chapters (I didn't advertise this new feature that was quietly rolled out in December or January, the idea was suggested to me by a customer) into the ESV Study Bible! Please note that I am not associated with Crossway or ESV. I did not help them with the inclusion of DVJ-2 into ESV Bibles. They just like my idea and had it incorporated in their Bibles.

They call it "Direct Access to Any Verse."

It was at my nudging but without my help. I am happy. Please read the announcement and my comment here (UPDATE: Crossway deleted the announcement on Amazon but included it in the product description).

Here is their description of the navigation aids for the ESV Study Bible:

Moving the 5-Way Controller to the right or left when viewing the Bible text will move to the next or previous chapter; when viewing the opening page of a book, it will move to the next or previous book; and when viewing an article, it will move to the next or previous heading.

Direct Access to Any Verse

To gain direct access to any verse in the ESV Bible:
1. Press the MENU button.
2. Select Index.
3. Type the two- or three-character abbreviation for the desired book, followed by a space. Use the exact book abbreviations below OSNOVA:basically DVJ abbreviations.
4. Type the chapter number, followed by a space, and the verse number. OSNOVA: They decided to omit the chapter numbers for Obadiah, Philemon, 2 John, 3 John, and Jude, which is different from me because they don't have to be compatible with DVJ-1; and DVJ-2 gives a hint that you don't have to enter the chapter number. (Oops. they say so but actually it is implemented exactly the same way as in OSNOVA Bibles -- you need the chapter number)
5 Press Enter.

OSNOVA: They also did the DVJ-2 links to the book's top (e.g., jn) and the chapters (e.g., jn 3), which for some reason I left out. (Oops. they say so but actually it is not implemented)

So, it is good news for those who wanted to have DVJ-2 on ESV. I guess they decided that DVJ-1 is not worth it because of the Kindle search bugs, the gaps in the text that it creates and the software Kindles not being able to properly handle the color tags. However, this omission makes it impossible to search multiple Bibles from the Home screen.

CHANGED: the updating instructions provided by them do not work for now.

Last edited by osnova; 03-09-2011 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:10 AM   #321
dmalovic
dmalovic doesn't litterdmalovic doesn't litterdmalovic doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3
Is there a secret way to actually reinstall the ESV? I tried deleting the book and downloading again, downloading the azw file to my PC and side loading, downloading to my Android device, but I always get the old version without new navigation, not the new one?! There is no reinstall option on the Manage Your Kindle page.
dmalovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:17 AM   #322
Charlie Dog
Charlie Dog began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Well, unfortunately it DOESN'T work. If you contact Crossway they will give you the old we feel your pain, be patient, and we are doing everything to correct the problem, BUT the point being, it does NOT work.
Charlie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:50 AM   #323
dmalovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Dog View Post
Well, unfortunately it DOESN'T work. If you contact Crossway they will give you the old we feel your pain, be patient, and we are doing everything to correct the problem, BUT the point being, it does NOT work.
Yes, apparently Amazon still serves the old version, the sad thing is I allowed myself to loose one hour on trying to make it work

Looking forward to it, anyhow.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:23 AM   #324
Charlie Dog

Yes, so did I.......twice!
Old 02-24-2011, 11:44 AM   #325
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Are you trying to get the "ESV Bible" or the "ESV Study Bible"? It looks like only the "ESV Study Bible" has the DVJ-2 type technology (at least so far).

I know they have the "ESV Bible" for free and was hoping they had updated it, but it doesn't look that way, only for the paid "ESV Study Bible".

Last edited by Dazrin; 02-24-2011 at 11:46 AM.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:19 PM   #326
Charlie Dog

What I am trying to get is an update/redownload of the ESV Study Bible.

It was claimed that "they" had DVJ-2 technology somewhere around February 11th!

They don't have it because it doesn't work.

They have failed to retract their marketing and to publicly acknowledge it doesn't work, hence the confusion
Old 02-24-2011, 12:35 PM   #327
Dazrin
Wizard

I was just checking because I had seen that too and at first thought it applied to both versions they had. I only have the sample and it doesn't work either.

If you look at the comments at Amazon (that OSNOVA quoted from) you will see this from Ted Slater (Crossway Employee) dated Feb 14 -
Quote:
J. Soon -- thank you for this additional information. I believe the problem is not with your Kindle. We're working with Amazon to correct this issue. I'll let you know when it's been resolved.
I don't see any update from him, so apparently they haven't worked it out yet and we need to wait a bit for it to be fixed.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:12 PM   #328
dmalovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Are you trying to get the "ESV Bible" or the "ESV Study Bible"? It looks like only the "ESV Study Bible" has the DVJ-2 type technology (at least so far).

I know they have the "ESV Bible" for free and was hoping they had updated it, but it doesn't look that way, only for the paid "ESV Study Bible".
No, we are talking about the Study Bible version, not the plain one. And still no go it seems
Old 02-24-2011, 02:59 PM   #329
osnova
Kindler of the Flame

Sorry for reprinting their statement. I didn't know that it does not work.

I purchased ESV Study Bible for the first time yesterday and my copy does include DVJ-2 (and it works exactly the same as in OSNOVA publications, the differences that they talk about in the description are not there). I thought they had gotten Amazon to update people's old purchases but I guess it hasn't happened.

When I offer people updates, I do it the manual way -- send me an email and I will send you the updated file.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:38 PM   #330
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Amazon only sends the purchased file !

Quote:
Originally Posted by osnova View Post
Sorry for reprinting their statement. I didn't know that it does not work.

I purchased ESV Study Bible for the first time yesterday and my copy does include DVJ-2 (and it works exactly the same as in OSNOVA publications, the differences that they talk about in the description are not there). I thought they had gotten Amazon to update people's old purchases but I guess it hasn't happened.

When I offer people updates, I do it the manual way -- send me an email and I will send you the updated file.
I had tried to delete and then re-install one of my "old" Osnova bibles but still got DVJ 1 in it. It did not upgrade to DVJ 2.

Also, it appears only files purchased from Amazon have the ability to save notes and highlights at their site for use in Forums, chat rooms, social networks and documents. Other files lose this benefit.

I'm interested in buying that new ESV Study Bible as well but ONLY if and when Osnova announces here if his improvements are implemented on the Amazon site.

Last edited by sirmaru; 02-24-2011 at 06:04 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote