Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-14-2013, 03:51 AM   #1
Adam Hel
Adam Hel shares his or her toysAdam Hel shares his or her toysAdam Hel shares his or her toysAdam Hel shares his or her toysAdam Hel shares his or her toysAdam Hel shares his or her toysAdam Hel shares his or her toysAdam Hel shares his or her toysAdam Hel shares his or her toysAdam Hel shares his or her toysAdam Hel shares his or her toys

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Can't find wifi network

Hi folks,

My Aura can't find the wifi network I'm tethering from my Nokia Lumia 920 although every other device can see it. It really sucks because I always need a wifi hotspot or a computer, I really would like to be able to browse/download on my Aura when I travel. What can I do?

The option "Add network" doesn't help.
Adam Hel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:21 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Try a different wi-fi network. I wouldn't be at all surprised that the device cannot find a tethered hotspot.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2013, 12:20 AM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Try a different wi-fi network. I wouldn't be at all surprised that the device cannot find a tethered hotspot.
I've tried a Glo and Aura and neither has issue finding and connecting to an iPhone or a Blackberry acting as a hotspot.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:49 PM   #4
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I had a network issue when I first started my Aura. It turned out the set-up was not well done. So I did a factory reset and did the set-up all over again and then it all worked well.
Maybe a factory reset could help.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:27 AM   #5
Adam Hel
Adam Hel shares his or her toysAdam Hel shares his or her toysAdam Hel shares his or her toysAdam Hel shares his or her toysAdam Hel shares his or her toysAdam Hel shares his or her toysAdam Hel shares his or her toysAdam Hel shares his or her toysAdam Hel shares his or her toysAdam Hel shares his or her toysAdam Hel shares his or her toys

What do you mean by setup? How could that go wrong?
Advert
Old 06-16-2013, 04:53 PM   #6
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well when you start setting up your reader, you have a choice between wifi set-up or computer set-up. I began with one and finished with the other and apparently that was not good.
One must do the entire set-up by connecting the reader to the computer.
Of course I'll never know for sure why my wifi did not work the first time over but when I went through the whole process by connecting to my computer, my wifi worked just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Hel View Post
What do you mean by setup? How could that go wrong?
Old 06-17-2013, 04:40 AM   #7
Adam Hel

Arg!

I did that, now I see the network but can't connect! It tries and tries and can't!
Old 06-17-2013, 04:14 PM   #8
Quexos
Member Retired

Also make sure your network is not protected in which case you need enter the password and type of protection (wep, wpa, wpa2 etc..)

Another thing you need to do is check if your network has mac address filtering on (this is part of your modem/router firewall settings)
If it does then you need to add the mac address of your reader to the list of allowed addresses in the modem/router.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Hel View Post
Arg!

I did that, now I see the network but can't connect! It tries and tries and can't!
Old 06-18-2013, 01:00 AM   #9
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I can confirm the Touch and Glo both work fine with android hotspots as well, at least mine does. I've tried the more sophisticated security options which work fine, but I have an older multimedia PC setup I built a long time ago with a hardware HDTV decoder for which I haven't updated the wireless adapter, so Mac filtering(the android equivalent anyhow) with no security seems sufficient.

You do need to go to the android device's WiFi hotspot and OK the reader's connection request...

Last edited by TechniSol; 06-18-2013 at 01:02 AM.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote