Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-25-2011, 03:30 PM   #1
Kindle Worm
Enthusiast
Kindle Worm writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kindle Worm writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kindle Worm writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kindle Worm writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kindle Worm writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kindle Worm writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kindle Worm writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kindle Worm writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kindle Worm writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kindle Worm writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kindle Worm writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle
Fantasy Novel Recommendations

I'm gonna leave this a broad topic, but I want to make a list of recommendations. I'll start:

A Song of Ice and Fire By George R.R. Martin
The Wheel of Time By Robert Jordan
The Sword of Truth By Terry Goodkind

add to this!
Kindle Worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:31 PM   #2
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
The Lord of the Rings By J.R.R. Tolkien
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2011, 04:15 PM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The Spirit Ring by Lois McMaster Bujold

The Book of Night with Moon by Diane Duane

Lucy's Blade by John Lambshead

Billibub Baddings and the case of the Singing Sword by Tee Morris

Last edited by pdurrant; 01-25-2011 at 04:24 PM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:24 PM   #4
BoiseShan
Connoisseur
BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss.

I'm not a big fan of fantasy novels and was "forced" to read this by a book club. i loved it! It's the first of a trilogy--the second comes out in March and I can't wait!
BoiseShan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:28 PM   #5
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Off the top of my head, here are a few I've quite enjoyed:
  • The Gentleman Bastards Sequence by Scott Lynch (starts with The Lies of Locke Lamora)
  • Memory, Sorrow, Thorn trilogy by Tad Williams (starts with The Dragonbone Chair)
  • The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks (starts with The Way of Shadows)
  • The Earthsea Cycle by Ursula K. Le Guin (starts with A Wizard of Earthsea)

If you're looking for something different*, I recommend:
  • The first two books of the Gormenghast trilogy by Mervyn Peake (starts with Titus Groan)
  • Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke (I'm currently reading this)

* These books are not fantasy you're used to. They are not Robert Jordan, R. A. Salvatore, George R. R. Martin, or even Tolkien.

---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindle Worm View Post
A Song of Ice and Fire By George R.R. Martin
Great series, but it's unfinished and it seems highly unlikely it will ever be finished in his lifetime despite 5 years worth of claims that "it will be done soon."
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2011, 04:48 PM   #6
Elflaede
Elflaede began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
Off the top of my head, here are a few I've quite enjoyed:[LIST][*]The Gentleman Bastards Sequence by Scott Lynch (starts with The Lies of Locke Lamora)
Seconded. The Lies of Locke Lamora is so brilliant. I loved it.

The Painted Man by Peter V Brett is very good. The Empire trilogy by Raymond E Feist and Janny Wurts is also excellent.
Elflaede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:14 PM   #7
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elflaede View Post
The Painted Man by Peter V Brett is very good.
I've heard good things about that one. It's on my TBR list.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:39 PM   #8
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Lord Dunsany and William Morris are essential reading to provide a context to early fantasy, esp. the former's _The Charwoman's Shadow_.

Lindsay and George McDonald as well.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:59 PM   #9
Mayzshon
Enthusiast
Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Almost any of Terry Prachett's "Discworld" series. I have a personal prefernce for the Watch novels.

And for a fantasy novel from a non-fantasy author, I've always loved Eyes of the Dragon, by Stephen King.

Last edited by Mayzshon; 01-25-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Mayzshon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:48 PM   #10
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold

The First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie

Morlock Ambrosius series by James Enge

Enge is only available as DRM-ridden TOPAZ ebooks for the Kindle, but they convert nicely to ePub.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:51 PM   #11
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseShan View Post
The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss.

I'm not a big fan of fantasy novels and was "forced" to read this by a book club. i loved it! It's the first of a trilogy--the second comes out in March and I can't wait!
Oh yes indeed! Brilliant book - can't wait to read the second one.

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:09 PM   #12
Lloyd068
Lloyd068 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I've already seen most of my favorites, but I will put second recommendations on any George R. R. Martin (I'm re-reading a Song of Ice and Fire now - currently on A Clash of Kings. It's even better the 2nd time around!). Also The Name of the Wind. A friend recommended and I'm going to be getting the 2nd book (A Wise Man's Fear) when it is released on March 1st. (Can't wait!)
Lloyd068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:38 PM   #13
s1mp13m4n
Zealot
s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Oasis
The Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling
s1mp13m4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:13 AM   #14
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
The Amber Chronicles by Roger Zelazny!

I can't recommend GRR Martin's work any more. At least until there seems to be some movement toward completing the series. A partial series of 3 great books and one so-so book is not worth a recommendation.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:18 AM   #15
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer
arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, iPad, iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350
I really liked Blake Charlton's Spellwright. It was a different take on magic (if magic followed DNA rules).
arcadata is offline   Reply With Quote