Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-29-2014, 01:26 AM   #1
adrenaline
Enthusiast
adrenaline solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.adrenaline solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.adrenaline solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.adrenaline solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.adrenaline solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.adrenaline solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.adrenaline solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.adrenaline solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.adrenaline solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.adrenaline solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.adrenaline solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, KPW2
Kindle Paperwhite 2 or New Kindle Basic?

Hello Kindle users,

I have a Kindle keyboard which flickers a bit whenever I turn a page. I guess that's by design.

Just ordered KPW2 with SO for $99 and was wondering if it would be a good upgrade over New Kindle Basic.

I see that the resolution is better on the KPW2 and has Built-in Light. However, it is last year's device and whether it's still better overall.

Thanks so much for your time in advance.

Last edited by adrenaline; 09-29-2014 at 01:29 AM.
adrenaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 01:43 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Yes, the PW2 is better then the new Kindle Touch Basic. But makes sure you get a PW2 that has 4GB of ram or you'll be regretting getting one with only 2GB.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2014, 02:46 AM   #3
adrenaline
Enthusiast
adrenaline solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.adrenaline solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.adrenaline solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.adrenaline solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.adrenaline solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.adrenaline solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.adrenaline solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.adrenaline solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.adrenaline solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.adrenaline solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.adrenaline solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes, the PW2 is better then the new Kindle Touch Basic. But makes sure you get a PW2 that has 4GB of ram or you'll be regretting getting one with only 2GB.
Thanks JSWolf. That's 4GB of disk space, right?
Old 09-29-2014, 03:41 AM   #4
Dee Q
Born Yesterday
Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2 & Kindle Scribe
PW2 is hands-down better! Easy choice!
Dee Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:15 AM   #5
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenaline View Post
Thanks JSWolf. That's 4GB of disk space, right?
Yes. I don't think that is what you are getting. Where did you order it from? Amazon has them for $119 (although the product page STILL doesn't say the storage). If you get it anywhere else, you will probably get the older PW2 with half the storage.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2014, 08:34 AM   #6
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Not ram. Hard drive.

Second point, storage capacity is essential for some people, but not the majority. You might regret it if you picked up a 2 gig kindle, but many wouldn't even notice.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 01:36 PM   #7
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I agree with haydnfan--many wouldn't notice the difference between 2gb of storage and 4gb. I have a KPW2 that I purchased a year ago. Have over 500 books on it right now, and still have over half of the storage space free--so although in the abstract 4gb of storage is better than 2gb--in my case, it doesn't really matter one way or the other.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 02:42 PM   #8
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Here is a different take on the question, Look at the differences between the basic and the paper white and you need to decide is the added value enough to compensate you for the additional $40? Would you pay $40 for the better screen resolution and the book light? Only you can answer that question.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 01:53 PM   #9
JesseKnows
JesseKnows began at the beginning.

Device: KindlePW, Kindle KB/3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Yes. I don't think that is what you are getting. Where did you order it from? Amazon has them for $119 (although the product page STILL doesn't say the storage). If you get it anywhere else, you will probably get the older PW2 with half the storage.
I just got a KPW from Staples ($99 special this week) and it has 4GB. Also was quoted as Special Offers but I do not see any such.
JesseKnows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 01:55 PM   #10
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseKnows View Post
I just got a KPW from Staples ($99 special this week) and it has 4GB. Also was quoted as Special Offers but I do not see any such.
That's great! Did you get it on line or in store? Is the box marked with anything indicating the storage?
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 04:38 PM   #11
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
I have been trying to figure out how to make sure of getting the 4gb model if I buy in store (like Staples). By hitting up some websites like bhphotovideo (which lists a 2013 version and a 2014 version) and frys it looks like the 4gb model does have a different model number and UPC.

So...Staples website gives model number as B00JG8GOWU. But description says 2gb. However, using that exact model number at Best Buy their description says 4gb.

Also, at bhphotovideo, B00JG8GOWU is listed as the 2014 model. The 2013 model has model number B00AWWE08E.

Now...supposedly the model number is not on the box. You would have to open the box to verify...however...

At frys, if you search on paperwhite, there are 2 listed. And they list the UPC's. The "older" paperwhite (probable 2gb) B00AWWE08E has UPC 848719013931. The "newer" paperwhite (4gb) B00JG8GOWU has UPC 848719042191.

So...apparently the UPC is the way to verify. But these are only for the S/O WiFi models.

Now I have to decide how badly I want a PW!
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:23 PM   #12
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
Not ram. Hard drive.
...by analogy... not actually a hard drive. :-)

Quote:
Second point, storage capacity is essential for some people, but not the majority. You might regret it if you picked up a 2 gig kindle, but many wouldn't even notice.
I completely agree. My use case is to keep 5 to 10 "to read" titles on my Kindle and delete them when I'm done reading. I'd be perfectly happy with < 1GB of user visible storage.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 10:01 PM   #13
adrenaline
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I just checked the "Device Info" of the KPW2 that I got from Amazon.. As you'd expect, it's a 4Gig device.

Some of the PDFs that I have from 1DollarScan is about 650MB .. So, I'm glad the KPW2 has at least 3+ GB..

Thanks so much everyone for your time and comments.. Greatly appreciate them.

Last edited by adrenaline; 10-03-2014 at 10:03 PM.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:42 PM   #14
eSheri
Addict
eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3G, Sony 350, Kindle Fire HD, iPad Mini
After reading this post, Feeling kinda down now that I ordered the new basic kindle.... Maybe I shoulda sprang for the PW for $40 more
eSheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 12:23 AM   #15
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by eSheri View Post
After reading this post, Feeling kinda down now that I ordered the new basic kindle.... Maybe I shoulda sprang for the PW for $40 more
With Amazon, you can change your mind...
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote