Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 04-26-2010, 02:59 PM   #31
Gio
Gio began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by hharan View Post
If you are not using adb, I would suggest waiting till this app is included in the softroot. I don't think the softroot is updated yet.
busybox is a cmd line tool. you will have to use it via the adb shell.
Ok then, I'll wait for the updated version of the softroot. Thank you!
Gio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 03:45 PM   #32
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Just as a stray comment... Is it possible the underwhelming update is more of a code merge between the forthcoming products? In effect B&N had three apps (Nook, EU/Nook Lite and Nook 2) and simply merged the code adding features as necessary to have a minimal working version across all products? If so the rumored 1.4 is probably the next "real" update.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:21 AM   #33
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
Thumbs down I just updated my Nook last night and I'm not impressed

It still takes minutes to cold-start, the page turn speed is no better and the right page turn button and the little "n" lcd activator button still only work one time in 10. I can't see why anybody likes this thing when there are so many other readers on the market that actually work well.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:29 AM   #34
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by NNolan View Post
It still takes minutes to cold-start, the page turn speed is no better and the right page turn button and the little "n" lcd activator button still only work one time in 10. I can't see why anybody likes this thing when there are so many other readers on the market that actually work well.
I'm really liking mine. The page turn speed is great, IMHO. Also, I haven't had any issues with activating the LCD screen.

I don't know; maybe you'd be happier in a forum where folks applaud whining and non-constructive criticism?
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:09 AM   #35
JerseyBiker
Addict
JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook Glowlight, Galaxy Tab S9, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by NNolan View Post
Before the last update I compared the page turn speed of my nook against the page turn speed of my wife's Kindle 2. I had the same ebook on both readers. The Kindle was slightly faster. Yesterday I ran the same test after the update and the nook is now just as fast if not a tick faster. The little "n" works for me every time I press it. It appears to me that you may have a unit with a problem. That can happen with any e-reader as with any product no matter how much or little you pay for it. Because you are having a bad experience doesn't mean it's a bad product. Many people, myself included, very much enjoy their nooks. And I'm sure it will only get better as more upgrades are made available.

~eddie
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:15 AM   #36
mykoffee
Enthusiast
mykoffee began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I'm not happy with the fact that the books in 'my documents' will no longer sort alphabetically within author. It used to be I could have my series books in order because they all started with the same first word, or I'd label them by placing an 01, 02, 03, etc. Since the update now they're all just placed randomly in there within author instead of alphabetically.

I'm also having 'ghosting' issues since the update with words bleeding through from the previous page. This should simply read 'Connected to 2WIRE905' but instead a 'The' shows up at the beginning and at the end you can just see the 'eled' from disabled from the previous page.

Anyone else having these issues?

Linda
mykoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 02:02 PM   #37
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
I disappointed to discover that the Nook eReader application does not support the jump to footnote feature for some .pdb files. This works in .epub files, and I can jump to the footnotes in the B&N PC eReader application when reading .pdb files.

I don't see the issues that NNolan sees, in 1.3, page turning is at least the same speed as my coworker's Kindle 2. Maybe you have a lemon, talk to B&N customer service.

Last edited by bgalbrecht; 04-27-2010 at 02:45 PM.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 01:06 PM   #38
dugong
Enthusiast
dugong has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dugong has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dugong has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dugong has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dugong has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Could someone give a definition of "softroot" in plain English. It sounds like a bad tooth problem or something that horticulturists may have to deal with.

The closest I could find was on the NookDevs site. It was defined this way: "The softroot is a way to enable the ADB without disassembling nook to gain root shell access."

I got even more confused when I clicked on the link to ADB and read the "definition" for that acronym.
dugong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 03:15 PM   #39
dajol
dajol began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugong View Post
Could someone give a definition of "softroot" in plain English. It sounds like a bad tooth problem or something that horticulturists may have to deal with.
"Root" means to gain root access to your device, which gives you the user rights to do stuff like installing software.

"softroot" means that you can do this by means of software, without hardware modifications. To do this on your nook, just follow the instructions on the softroot page.

For the normal user this means: If you softroot your Nook, you can upload a specially amended firmware onto the device by *closely* following the softrooting instructions.

I have a 1.2 softroot firmware running on my nook and am quite happy with it. Navigating sideloaded content with the original firmware is no fun.

I haven't risked the 1.3 update though, because currently the nookLibrary in the softroot firmware is broken (see http://nookdevs.com/Softroot) and I don't know how this affects the usability of the decive.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by dajol; 05-01-2010 at 03:19 PM.
dajol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 05:41 PM   #40
Jeff_R
Jeff_R began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajol View Post
I haven't risked the 1.3 update though, because currently the nookLibrary in the softroot firmware is broken (see http://nookdevs.com/Softroot) and I don't know how this affects the usability of the decive.
It looks like they updated the softroot package a few days ago, and now are using nooklibrary .9, which is the most recent version of the app.

I had the problems with the original 1.3 root, and this one has now fixed the issues. Hopefully they will update again with the updated nooklauncher soon.
Jeff_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 05:48 PM   #41
riemann42
Zealot
riemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enough

Device: eSlick,nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by dajol View Post
Works now. I had to do the following to avoid weird certificate errors when attempting to update:

Download latest version of nookLauncher and nookLibrary

Issue the following commands from the command line:

adb shell pm uninstall com.nookdevs.launcher
adb install nookLauncher.apk

adb shell pm uninstall com.nookdevs.library
adb install nookLibrary.apk

Developers, why did a get a certificate error when I tried to update???
riemann42 is offline   Reply With Quote