Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 03-14-2013, 03:15 PM   #16
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
David Marseilles

Yes, yes, yes...

I want to try all the bats, all the clubs. The swing, the heft, the balance.
I don't care what the experts think, or recommend.

I gonna do it myself.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:19 PM   #17
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Bad news guys, it turns out that the Samsung Galaxy S IV will come out with YEAR OLD software! Yes, and this is a certainty, as it comes from Phil himself, so must be true!

Quote:
We are hearing this week that the Samsung Galaxy S4 is being rumored to ship with an OS that is nearly a year old
Source

I don't know Phil's calendar, but on mine, Jelly Bean 4.2 was released on November, so that's not quite a year.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:55 PM   #18
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Bad news guys, it turns out that the Samsung Galaxy S IV will come out with YEAR OLD software! Yes, and this is a certainty, as it comes from Phil himself, so must be true!

Source

I don't know Phil's calendar, but on mine, Jelly Bean 4.2 was released on November, so that's not quite a year.
He may be basing the "almost a year" comment on 4.1 which was released around June/August 2012. Given Jelly Bean is still the latest public release, though, I really don't see how Samsung could do better. At least the Galaxy S4 will come with JB 4.2. I'd have been happy even with 4.1. Heck, I reckon I'd probably be content as long as it had ICS 4.0 minimum. Project Butter is nice and all but a dual-core Cortex A9 1.0+ GHz with 1GB RAM running ICS with no bloatware actually works quite beautifully.

Besides, what good is having the latest OS on your phone if key features are missing? Sure, Apple might release iOS updates on older devices but a lot of times, the update doesn't include new features and even slows performance of the device to a crawl. e.g. iPhone 4/iPad 2: no Siri, original iPhone: no folder support, iPhone 3G to iOS 4 = crashapalooza.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:40 PM   #19
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaultBoy View Post
Ad Revenue traffic from people wanting to call them nimrods.
Heh. I only wish that were true. People don't flame stuff they consider irrelevant (see Apple's Samsung bashing above). US bloggers really ignore/discount nearly any niche these days, just like they did with the Note before its marketshare matched its footprint.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:51 PM   #20
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
afv011

... but, but, the picture taker can be in the picture with the picture tookeder???

Mon Dieu, a whole new vocabulary!
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:02 PM   #21
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Did he just say 'that concludes our show' without mentioning the s4 mini? =(
Old 03-14-2013, 09:22 PM   #22
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
I'm very impressed with the specs as long as I can get the exynos version in the UK, if I can I'll be buying one although I thought the actual event was terrible and could barely stand watching it.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:49 PM   #23
Marseille
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
I'm very impressed with the specs as long as I can get the exynos version in the UK, if I can I'll be buying one although I thought the actual event was terrible and could barely stand watching it.
So terrible. I don't normally watch stuff like that, I just read the summaries in the aftermath.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:18 AM   #24
alicepattinson
Banned
alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Some leaks today here, but could be a ruse by Samsung to get people on the wrong track.
Well I guess this is a leak for China made Galaxy S4.
alicepattinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:37 AM   #25
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
I thought the actual event was terrible and could barely stand watching it.
Agreed. Cheesy in the extreme, and sexist. It detracted from the phone - I want to see the phone and i want the specs, I don't want people dancing around and any other monkey business. Aside from tubemonkey business, that is.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:24 PM   #26
Marseille
Guru

The galaxy s4 mini has been leaked: http://www.sammobile.com/2013/03/22/...alaxy-s4-mini/

4.3" qHD (960x540). Screen tech is rumored to be labeled "Super AMOLED", which so far has only been applied to pentile screens, but "HD Super AMOLED" included the non-pentile Note 2. At 256ppi, it would be a respectable non-pentile density (Note 2 is 260ish), but if it's pentile, it would need to be a lot higher before I'd consider it as a replacement for my primary reader.

Offhand, it sort of appears they weren't as aggressive with the s4 mini bezel as they were with the s4 bezel.

Internal specs, on the other hand, sound impressive. Sammobile, purveyor of many true and untrue leaks, thinks it may have a Exynos 5 dual or quad (with the quad maybe alternating arm7/15 like the octa, not necessarily 4 simultaneous cores). If true, that's a much smaller downgrade from the s4 than the s3 mini was from the s3.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	I91903-300x225.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	103426  
Old 03-24-2013, 06:45 PM   #27
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
How the world moves on... those specs make the S4 mini more powerful and larger than my original Galaxy S!

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:50 PM   #28
Marseille
Guru

Indeed. I still remember the days when 4.3" constituted a monstrosity that was too big for anyone other than a crazed xda'er. I spent a little time last year looking for sub 3" droids. They exist, but it isn't a pretty category even if you have low standards. I remember the WebOS based Veer fondly, wish that was an area still attended to.

Samsung, if the Exynos 5 rumor is true, is taking this mid range a little more seriously than last year, but the one galling thing is that if it is pentile, it isn't competitive (much less an upgrade) in terms of subpixel density with my 4 year old touch pro2, which wasn't cutting edge even back then. This in the midst of a pixel arms race that has almost absurd 1920x1080 resolutions on 5" devices.

I think there's room for a small (relatively speaking) high end droid to succeed these days. Large isn't going away by any means, but while everyone dukes it out for the best 4.8-6" category, one smart company could steal the show and be the only company seriously competing at 4" (other than apple). Instant differentiation.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:37 AM   #29
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Pretty disappointed the octacore isn't coming to the UK I would definitely have bought it without a doubt I'm not sure now, the S4 mini looks pretty tempting as well guess I'll just sit back and wait for the inevitable reviews and prices.

Whatever I buy though will definitely be a Samsung as I like my Micro SD cards and extended batteries and I've found my current phone a Galaxy S Advance really reliable but I do get specs envy regardless.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:31 PM   #30
Marseille
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post
The galaxy s4 mini has been leaked: http://www.sammobile.com/2013/03/22/...alaxy-s4-mini/

4.3" qHD (960x540). Screen tech is rumored to be labeled "Super AMOLED", which so far has only been applied to pentile screens, but "HD Super AMOLED" included the non-pentile Note 2. At 256ppi, it would be a respectable non-pentile density (Note 2 is 260ish), but if it's pentile, it would need to be a lot higher before I'd consider it as a replacement for my primary reader.
gsmarena put it under a microscope, and surprisingly, it isn't pentile. It joins a very elite group of non-pentile amoleds including the Note 2, the S2, the PS Vita and a few others.

qHD non-pentile isn't exactly world class, but it isn't a density downgrade for me either and if the price is right, I've found my next phone. I was actually bargain hunting for a Note 2 already when that last little detail came out. I was looking forward to having a spen and silo, but I guess I'll live.

The review also confirms some goodies, like the IR blaster, airview and surprisingly to me, multiwindow.