Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 03-31-2012, 10:23 AM   #61
rupor
meat popsicle
rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindles, Pixels, iPads
I'm kind of wondering why you needed adaptation - why not to take the whole package? What's in there you do not like? White background in Android? Launcher page? Fixes in ContentManager? It includes a lot of things beneficial to everybody - no matter what language people are using. Russian is just one of the choices there.

Also by installing framework only you are potentially breaking some other parts of the system - when I was creating package you adopted it from installation of framework only broke a lot of things - like settings for example

Last edited by rupor; 03-31-2012 at 10:53 AM.
rupor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:54 PM   #62
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kobo Mini, Tolino Epos 2
There's lot of things in the minimal rupor package that I don't know why they are there... so I tried to reduce it.

Is there a detailed changelog of what has been modified why in the system apk files (EBookDownloader, EbookAudio, etc.) Is it only russian localisation?

What has been changed in the lib/*.so files?

Also, the black on white mod breaks some apps on my reader...
uboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:12 PM   #63
rupor
meat popsicle
rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!

What you do not know - could kill you

Your so called adaptation is incomplete and does not do justice to the original package - that's all. Packages in my set are made to work together. They are tested as such - by a lot of users, not only Russians. There is a lively Spanish community which does repack what I do to their liking. Just be careful of what you are picking to adopt - otherwise you may unintentionally get somebody in troubles far deeper than you want too.

Google translation of the link says all this - fair and square.

It also has a detailed change log and Google does decent job translating - so it is readable in English - I did verify that. There is also a link to version control with all differences to all packages - if what you are asking is actually important to you.

If you do not understand something - ask, from time to time I am available here and I am almost always answering in English on Russian site too. Porkupan (aka boroda) is also present on both forums.

As for breaking apps - rather than "adopting" back something that already works it may make some sense and spent an effort on adopting applications to the black on white, so we could all benefit from your work.

You see fast scroll works far better with black on white than it does with white on black - this is the reason it was made in the first place.. It is not slower - it is different. And amazingly - it saves battery too...
Old 03-31-2012, 07:41 PM   #64
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupor View Post
What you do not know - could kill you
Exactly That's why I stripped the package down... I didn't want to replace so much system packages at once.

I don't need russian localisation, so there was no reason for me to apply it.

And there things I really liked to keep on my device: latest su package, busybox and fixpermissions. (I am using the 2.05 version from xda developers, your version looks older - I don't know if you changed something or if the xda version is better, but the xda version works satisfactorly so I didn't want to change it.)

Quote:
Your so called adaptation is incomplete and does not do justice to the original package - that's all. Packages in my set are made to work together. They are tested as such - by a lot of users, not only Russians. There is a lively Spanish community which does repack what I do to their liking. Just be careful of what you are picking to adopt - otherwise you may unintentionally get somebody in troubles far deeper than you want too.
Ok, I thought that the package is mostly targeted at the russian community....

You're right: my package doesn't justice the original one. But this wasn't my aim. I only was interested in the listview mod, not a complete root package.

But what exactly is missing? Are there any package dependencies I didn't take into account?

Quote:
Google translation of the link says all this - fair and square.

It also has a detailed change log and Google does decent job translating - so it is readable in English - I did verify that. There is also a link to version control with all differences to all packages - if what you are asking is actually important to you.

If you do not understand something - ask, from time to time I am available here and I am almost always answering in English on Russian site too. Porkupan (aka boroda) is also present on both forums.
I didn't know that you are that active in this forum and willing to answer questions. It's good to know that

Quote:
As for breaking apps - rather than "adopting" back something that already works it may make some sense and spent an effort on adopting applications to the black on white, so we could all benefit from your work.
Well - I don't really know how good it already works so I didn't want to risk too much as I didn't see any benefit from flashing the other content of the package.

I know from earlier posts in this thread that for the listview mod, only the framework.jar and .odex has to be change (well - it's only the .odex, the .jar is unchanged, however...)

That's why only these two are included in my "adaption". (Well, adaption maybe isn't the right word. It's more like picking a certain feature...)

Quote:
You see fast scroll works far better with black on white than it does with white on black - this is the reason it was made in the first place.. It is not slower - it is different. And amazingly - it saves battery too...
I tried black on white mode but fast scroll wasn't really faster with it and some apps didn't display correctly and I didn't want to spend time with modding apps, so I reverted back to white on black.

Anyways - the fastest scrolling can be obtained with the global no-refresh package to be found earlier in this thread. It makes scrolling really fluent. Maybe there is still some room for tweaking the listview mod.

To sum it up: I don't want to mess with your work - I highly appreciate it. All I wanted to do is integrate the listview mod into my allready rooted T1 which has been rooted with boroda's packages as many other T1's in this forum.

And I created a package that allows others to apply the listview mod on their own risk.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:44 PM   #65
uboot
Evangelist

Quote:
Also by installing framework only you are potentially breaking some other parts of the system - when I was creating package you adopted it from installation of framework only broke a lot of things - like settings for example
What exactly are you trying to say? Did "my" package break settings? Or did you break settings while developing your package?
Old 03-31-2012, 08:02 PM   #66
rupor
meat popsicle

Could you please try one thing for me? With fast scroll installed - go to Android settings and see if everything is there? Like for example Application settings? Manage Applications? Stuff like that - when I tried to replace framework.jar and framework.odex and nothing else some things were diapering from there and I was not able to explain why or how - until I started to deploy things in packs.

Same for Sony settings.

And finally - do you use Launcher page (3-rd one on Home)? Are all applications there?

Last edited by rupor; 03-31-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:10 PM   #67
uboot
Evangelist

Err... uhm..... you're right - something's wrong with Android and Sony Settings....

I replaced Settings.* and EbookSetting.* with the ones in your packages and now they seem to work fine...

But surely you will now suggest to flash the whole minimal rupor package I guess I won't disagree....

Regarding launcher - I have ADW Launcher.

Edit: also Ebook Reading app needs to be updated as page settings are not available otherwise...

I flashed the complete rupor minimal package now, with only slight modifications (left out framework-res.apk in order to keep white on black theme)

Last edited by uboot; 04-01-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:20 AM   #68
entodoays
Zealot
entodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1
I'm really interested in installing rupor's or uboot's packages but before I go on I would like to ask for a few clarifications.

About the uboot package:
1. Can you confirm that it is not necessary to restore the original firmware before flashing?
2. Did you modify the package to include the two apk's you installed afterwards in the flash package?

About the rupor package:
1. This requires restoring to the unrooted state, right? I have Link2SD installed with quite a number of apps linked to the SD card. To "unroot" I would use the restore-set package from Boroda, right? Do I need to do anything to the Link2SD apps?

2. After restoration, I should flash the absolutely minimal root. Just to be sure, could you please confirm it is the package named "20120325 - Absolutely minimal root "? Does this package cause a sporadic hang and restart or did I understand the google translation badly? What is included in the package: is there a launcher, Coolreader, other apps ? I could not find the contents of this package.

3. What are the packages in the "20120327" line? Are these newer packages that replace the 20120325 ones? If this is so, which one should I use?

While hoping these questions are helpful to others, I thank you, uboot and rupor, in advance for your patience.
entodoays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:28 PM   #69
rupor
meat popsicle

entodoays

I am not sure that uboot offers a complete package yet - see our discussion above

When installing my minimal root - you'd better start from original or native state, which is reader with 1.2.04 firmware from Sony and no hacks installed So - yes, you would need a restore package from boroda or amutin. I am not sure how to remove Link2SD or what would happen with them as I never tried this - there is one thing I know for sure that Link2SD is not compatible with Apps2SD.

Now - I offer 2 packages which are complementary. First, which called "absolutely minimal root" or AMR has root and functional mods. Current version is 20120325. Second, called "Apps2SD" restores original FroYo Apps2SD functionality and it's current version is 20120327.

Each package could be installed and used separately (read requirements) and each is more or less stable now. However due to the bug in Android if you only installed Apps2SD you may experience periodic locks and reboots of your device when USB cable is disconnected. This is not dangerous and does not harm your device - just very annoying. If you install both - the problem will disappear as AMR has all necessary fixes for Android.

Regular procedure:

1. restore your device to original state
2. Apply AMR and make sure that everything is working
3. Apply Apps2SD and make sure that everything is working
4. Install applications

Hope this helps a bit...

And one more thing - there is a way now to fully backup the state of your device and later restore it exactly the way it was - http://translate.google.com/translat...hp%3Ft%3D23354. Just be very careful when doing it!

Last edited by rupor; 04-02-2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:03 AM   #70
entodoays
Zealot
entodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enough

Thanks rupor for your detailed answer. I have another couple of questions.

1. I read the full backup procedure and since I'm on Linux I cannot follow the procedure "exactly". I'm therefore afraid to do it. So, if I'm not happy with the functioning of the Reader with your hack, is there a restore package? Or do the restore-set or sd-recovery packages from boroda reverse the hack?
2. You mention firmware 1.2.04. My firmware (the latest available) is 1.0.0.4.12210. Is this an error?

Thanks again.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:17 AM   #71
rupor
meat popsicle

entodoays

Well - it should be even simpler on Linux - just dd-ing the whole USB disk

To restore from Apps2SD there is a link to special restore package and AMR is being restored by boroda restoration procedure - those are two separate and independent steps. Please, note - that removal of Apps2SD requires my procedure (even SD cad full restore would not do it).

Yes - it is my mistake - your version is correct.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:13 PM   #72
entodoays
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by uboot View Post
it should be possible to access recovery console from linux! it is a simple serial tty connection! you just have to get the usb-serial-gadget-driver for the t1 running, know its virtual com port and open a telnet session...
How does one "get the usb-serial-gadget-driver for the t1 running" ?
Old 04-03-2012, 03:56 PM   #73
rupor
meat popsicle

Why do you need one? You said you are on Linux - according to everything people are saying Linux does not need any special drivers. Just boot device into recovery mode with special SD - either from korean package or from mine (backup/restore) and connect. Both SD cards packages already have all needed gadgets working.

Last edited by rupor; 04-03-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:20 PM   #74
entodoays
Zealot

Thanks rupor. I was trying to follow what was posted in a previous post.

So, if I got it right the procedure should be something like this:

1. I download rupor-rescue.7z
2. I extract this to an empty SD card and put it in the PRS-T1
3. I boot with HOME and MENU pressed
4. When opening book finishes I connect the USB cable to the computer
5. Check for serial port somehow (not sure how yet)
6. Run putty to gain access
7. DD the 1.8GB partition

Could you confirm, please?
Old 04-03-2012, 06:39 PM   #75
rupor
meat popsicle

In general the order is correct, but you seem to be mixing together Windows and Linux entries...

Does Linux have putty? I was under impression that it is slightly different there - you would use telnet instead... but I may be wrong....

By the way - if you are going to run DD "inside" the device - you will have to mount your SD card in RW mode and make sure that you have enough space on it. Something like that:

mount -o remount,rw /initrd/mnt/sd
dd if=/dev/mmcblk2 of=/initrd/mnt/sd/full.img bs=1024

But the whole idea of my package is that device internal memory becomes available on the HOST device as a disk - so you could run backup from the outside of the device and you DO NOT NEED TERMINAL ACCESS be it Windows or Linux you are using as a HOST. And you do not need to know com port. You just reboot the device in recovery mode, connect via USB - and boom - you have external USB disk which is THE WHOLE flash memory of your device - fully accessible for your DD.

So I think you got confused...

Last edited by rupor; 04-04-2012 at 09:41 AM.