Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 06-10-2010, 12:39 PM   #31
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolDragon View Post
If history has not been changed, the DR800S (not the US DR800SG) model was released in January 2010. Does an ereader without wireless option has to go through similar FCC procedure in Europe too?
Did we ever find out if the European DR800S physically contains the wireless hardware and it's just a matter of support for it in the firmware (and carrier agreements)? I know there were some threads talking about it, but can't remember the result.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:42 PM   #32
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrzvnrnd View Post
I have black lines in my iLiad and iRex can not fix the problem 'cause they have no screen.
Is it still under warranty?
Advert
Old 06-10-2010, 03:20 PM   #33
martienne
.~^пиратка^~.
martienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Pixmania still has them: France and United Kingdom.
martienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:25 PM   #34
martienne
.~^пиратка^~.
martienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Onyx Boox M92
1/2 chance: A large tech company that wishes to expand into ebook readers without the need to invent from scratch, buys iRex (lots of possibilites of things that could happen after that...)

1/4 chance: They sort themselves out and continue to operate independently.

1/4 chance: the company dies and we are stuck with devices with no support or firmware releases.

---------------------ITALIAN ARTICLE-----------------------------

"The FCC, the American authority which must approve any device with connectivity, denied, until last January, his approval to the DR800, thereby preventing iRex to sell that model in holiday season. Result: the whole production DR800, launched in July 2009, remained unsold, the money was spent and nothing has been received. "

why would the american authorities deny this? some kind of protectionist thing or what?

Last edited by martienne; 06-10-2010 at 03:30 PM.
martienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:52 PM   #35
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolDragon View Post
I believe almost everyone on this forum know who he is.
Really? I don't.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2010, 03:54 PM   #36
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by martienne View Post
why would the american authorities deny this? some kind of protectionist thing or what?
Remember that they were also having a lot of issues with the FCC regarding the iLiad as well. They had to pull it from the US market for a period of time because they lost their FCC certification. I don't know if whatever caused that to happen would also explain what was going on with the DR800SG.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:03 PM   #37
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhishStyx View Post
Really? I don't.
Pretty sure they are both whining about me again. If I remember correctly, fbrzvnrnd and I had an argument a while ago because he thought iLiad customers were entitled to an ePub firmware upgrade (even though the company never promised one). That's probably what he's referring to.

If he's got a hardware fault now, and the device is still under warranty, then that sounds like a legitimate issue. I'm actually curious to hear what happened. My guess would be he's either got a broken screen or else "line out" errors. Hard to tell what "black lines in my iLiad" means though. Both would require replacement of the screen, and it sounds like they don't have any stock right now. Whether iRex told him "we can't fix it now" or "we won't fix it ever" wasn't clear from what he said.

CoolDragon's probably upset with me because I disagreed with him that printing out the contents of a filesystem proves anything about the reason that a feature is disabled. I suggested that if we want to know the reason behind such a decision, that we should ask iRex (which they answered). Apparently that didn't go over well with him.

Last edited by Shaggy; 06-10-2010 at 04:07 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:09 PM   #38
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by martienne View Post
[B]1/2 chance: A large tech company that wishes to expand into ebook readers without the need to invent from scratch, buys iRex (lots of possibilites of things that could happen after that...)
I think if a company with better marketing/sales/support experience buys iRex to get their technology... it could get really interesting.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:26 PM   #39
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
I think if a company with better marketing/sales/support experience buys iRex to get their technology... it could get really interesting.
That would be cool. I'd love to see a 2nd version of the DR1000s. So far as I can tell, iRex's biggest problem is they don't have deep enough pockets.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:30 PM   #40
PhishStyx
The me that I am

Quote:
Pretty sure they are both whining about me again. If I remember correctly, fbrzvnrnd and I had an argument a while ago because he thought iLiad customers were entitled to an ePub firmware upgrade (even though the company never promised one). That's probably what he's referring to.
You know you secretly drove iRex broke with your demands for free books. (Sorry, I couldn't help myself.)
Old 06-10-2010, 07:34 PM   #41
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
That would be cool. I'd love to see a 2nd version of the DR1000s. So far as I can tell, iRex's biggest problem is they don't have deep enough pockets.
It was always going to be a tough road for them once they shifted their focus into selling devices themselves instead of partnering with other companies to supply the technology. Getting into the ring with the likes of Amazon and Sony is basically a David and Goliath battle.

It certainly looked better for iRex with the first generation devices when both Amazon and Sony were using iRex hardware in their readers. Once that went away and iRex had to rely on their own branded device sales, it probably got a lot harder.

Last edited by Shaggy; 06-10-2010 at 07:38 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:36 PM   #42
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
You know you secretly drove iRex broke with your demands for free books. (Sorry, I couldn't help myself.)
I think it was my multi-million dollar salary for being the CAO (chief astroturfing officer) of web forums that drove them into bankruptcy.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:12 PM   #43
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
I think it was my multi-million dollar salary for being the CAO (chief astroturfing officer) of web forums that drove them into bankruptcy.
We always thought you were the CAO, Shaggy!
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:00 AM   #44
jen6060
Connoisseur
jen6060 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs505 (given away); Sony prs300; Nook
Sigh, I'm quite disappointed. I ordered mine in May through ebay. It seems to have shipped after some delay, but I'm not sure bec seller seems to have gone awol. I get some comfort in that there is ebay buyer protection, but i still want it!
jen6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:32 AM   #45
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic
fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ONYX M96
I'm sad about the choices iRex did. Actually I loved the iLiad the first time I see it, I really believe e-ink is a great step for access digital text, I created a publishing house only to create ebook for eReader!
But, as consumer, I see the iRex choices were wrong. If some of you know italian language I suggest this article from Tombolini:

http://www.simplicissimus.it/2010/06...a-vera-storia/

Sadly instructive.

About my poor iLiad, it has again "line out" problem and it is out of warranty. Actually in the italian forum about ebook there are many messages from iLiad users that have the iLiad broken, and were waiting months for a fix that never happened: iRex is not able to repair iLiad, and in Italy DR1000 and iLiad are 'out of stock', 'cause nobody is so mad to offer a warranty for a product that have not possibility to be fixed, if broken.

I have nothing again Shaggy, but I feel his attitude "it's all right" when the ship was broken and getting a lot of cold water inside, was irritating and shortsighted. And the facts proved it.

f.
fbrzvnrnd is offline   Reply With Quote