Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-08-2009, 09:59 PM   #1
qpid360
e-reading :)
qpid360 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Pocket Edition, Barnes & Noble nook
Charging?

EDIT: Took a few minutes, but the icon finally shows the lightning bolt.

Okay, what is up with the charging? I turned off the nook completely while it was charging at 86% and the orange light went off. This thing can't charge if it's off?

So I replugged it and booted it back up and even with the orange light on, the battery icon isn't showing as charging.

The battery level hasn't changed yet so I'm not sure what's going on. Please tell me this is a bug rather than a faulty nook. I also tried rebooting again and everytime I do, the orange light goes off leading me to believe it somehow isn't charging while turned off.
qpid360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:06 PM   #2
slothrop
Enthusiast
slothrop began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qpid360 View Post
EDIT: Took a few minutes, but the icon finally shows the lightning bolt.

Okay, what is up with the charging? I turned off the nook completely while it was charging at 86% and the orange light went off. This thing can't charge if it's off?

So I replugged it and booted it back up and even with the orange light on, the battery icon isn't showing as charging.

The battery level hasn't changed yet so I'm not sure what's going on. Please tell me this is a bug rather than a faulty nook. I also tried rebooting again and everytime I do, the orange light goes off leading me to believe it somehow isn't charging while turned off.
Odd. Mine was lit and turned off when it was charged.
slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2009, 10:40 PM   #3
Propheous
Connoisseur
Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook
Are you using USB or the wall adapter?

USB will not charge if the device is not on. This is actually a USB problem and is on all devices that use USB. Wall connectors have something funky with them bypass this problem typically. Really annoyed the heck out of me on my cell phones when I lost my wall charger and only had the USB cable.
Propheous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:13 PM   #4
rwizard
Connoisseur
rwizard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rwizard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rwizard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rwizard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPhone, waiting for reviews on the Notionink Adam
The manual states the nook cannot charge when it is off. It turns on when you plug it in to charge it. The manual also states that the charging icon may take a few minutes to register after it starts charging but the light is a good mediate indication. (I must be really obsessed, I have not even ordered a nook yet and I read about half of the manual already).
rwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:17 PM   #5
MCan56
MCan56 began at the beginning.

According to the manual, the device must be turned on to charge, whether it is from the wall or USB. From page 13:

Quote:
Do not turn off your nook while it is plugged into a power adapter or USB. If you do, it will not charge.
MCan56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2009, 11:40 PM   #6
qpid360
e-reading :)
qpid360 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Pocket Edition, Barnes & Noble nook
lol yeah i skipped through the manual. thanks for the heads up.

weird thing is that i unplugged it from the wall after it hit 100% and plugged it into my laptop... the battery went down to 98%. hopefully this is just a calibration issue.
qpid360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:59 PM   #7
Propheous
Connoisseur
Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Ya I couldn't remember if the ac adapter turned it on or not. Its that funky thing they do to bypass the usb restriction for powering devices.
Propheous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 02:16 PM   #8
Jacobdan
Jacobdan began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
Hey guys, I have just got a Sony Reader PRS-600. All ok to set up and go and download ebooks etc. BUT now when I plug the USB into either my laptop or desktops, I get an error message: "USB not recognised" and it wont charge.

Any ideas why Windows XP or Vista now does not see the USB (eg USB unknown) ?

Thanks, dan (Jacobdan)
Jacobdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:29 PM   #9
pjchris
pjchris began at the beginning.

Nook Suddenly Not Charging?

If a Nook is in charge mode either on a USB connection or through the wall jack and you then power the Nook down, it leaves the charging SW in an instable state and any attempt to recharge the Nook thereafter will usually fail. You MUST do a power- down reset by one of two methods. 1) Start the Nook and when completely started up, press and hold the power button down for at LEAST 20 seconds. This should reset the charging state parameters. Start the Nook back up and plug in the charger. It should show charging with a "+" in the battery state indicator at the top of the screen and the orange light on down near the cable connector. If this falls to actually charge the battery (in spite of the indicator statuses), 2) power down the Nook, disconnect the USB cable, take the back cover off the Nook, remove the battery for at LEAST 10 seconds, reinsert it and put the cover back on, power up and plug in the charger. This should also reset the SW parameters.

If both fail, you may need to either do a factory reset of the Nook via the settings options, replace the battery with a new one, or get a replacement Nook.

Frankly, I find this to be a completely absurd HW/SW design failure. it would be easy to design the SW to not allow the HW power switch to power down the unit with the power supply still attached and supplying current through the charger.

Paul
pjchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:03 AM   #10
milan
milan began at the beginning.

Device: none
How long does a single charge last for you guys? If I read for half an hour every day I still need to recharge it one a week. This seems awful lot, since I believe I read somewhere that a single charge should last 8000 page turns.
milan is offline   Reply With Quote