Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-14-2009, 03:55 PM   #1
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Font sizes

When I move (via save html) a doc file to Sigil the html source is full of hard coded font sizes. These get remembered in Sigil which means that the font size changes in ADE don't work. It would be nice if there was a command that would strip out all hardcoded fixed size font specifications. Currently I make the ePUB file and them rebuild it in Calibre to remove this information. This is automatic in Calibre but I really would prefer it was a manual step as some users may want to control this for some reason. Is there an easier way to make this work in Sigil?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 04:57 PM   #2
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
When I move (via save html) a doc file to Sigil the html source is full of hard coded font sizes. These get remembered in Sigil which means that the font size changes in ADE don't work. It would be nice if there was a command that would strip out all hardcoded fixed size font specifications. Currently I make the ePUB file and them rebuild it in Calibre to remove this information. This is automatic in Calibre but I really would prefer it was a manual step as some users may want to control this for some reason. Is there an easier way to make this work in Sigil?
So what you're saying is that Word hard-codes font sizes into the HTML, and you would want Sigil to remove this for you? Preferably as an option?

BTW I'd like to see a sample of this HTML, just so that I have an idea of what you're talking about.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2009, 06:50 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here is a test case. It is the first few chapters of a book I am trying to convert. There is some font boiler plate at the front that would be good to remove also. This is a typical Word file saved as html. I chopped the main part of the file off so some rules such as /html entry are missing and some links won't work. There is also an @page entry that I trimmed the margins out of so that they wouldn't get in the way of a good ePUB.

Dale
Attached Files
File Type: zip testcase.zip (48.8 KB, 390 views)
Old 09-15-2009, 07:36 PM   #4
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Here is a test case. It is the first few chapters of a book I am trying to convert. There is some font boiler plate at the front that would be good to remove also. This is a typical Word file saved as html. I chopped the main part of the file off so some rules such as /html entry are missing and some links won't work. There is also an @page entry that I trimmed the margins out of so that they wouldn't get in the way of a good ePUB.
You still haven't said what do you want Sigil to do with this.

If you want Sigil to remove the various junk with which Word fills the exported HTML, then that's already planned. Tidy has some nice flags for this and I'll be extending that behavior too. This would be available through a dialog that pops up on import and asks the user to check importing options like "Remove excessive Word markup" or whatever.

If this is what you want, add it to the tracker so I don't forget. But bear in mind that this is not high on my list of priorities because there are more important things to implement first.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:48 AM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

I was responding for your request for a sample. My original request was to trim the font size hard coded implementation as Calibre does. This is the most troublesome feature so far as ePUB is concerned.

Dale
Advert
Old 09-16-2009, 11:48 AM   #6
Valloric

Quote:
I was responding for your request for a sample. My original request was to trim the font size hard coded implementation as Calibre does. This is the most troublesome feature so far as ePUB is concerned.
Add it to the tracker. It would be implemented as part of the aforementioned "Remove Word cruft" feature.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:51 AM   #7
blvd
blvd began at the beginning.

Device: iPod touch
DaleDe
This topic, hard coded font size information from a doc file, is this the reason why the font size won't actually change on my reader (Stanza on an iPod touch)? The spacing will change, but not the actual font size.
Thanks
blvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 12:45 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blvd View Post
DaleDe
This topic, hard coded font size information from a doc file, is this the reason why the font size won't actually change on my reader (Stanza on an iPod touch)? The spacing will change, but not the actual font size.
Thanks
I suspect so. It happens in a lot of formats but it also seems to happen in DOC sourced files unless you edit the intermediate format.

Dale
Old 03-13-2010, 05:52 PM   #9
blvd
blvd began at the beginning.

Device: iPod touch
Hey, thanks for your reply. Actually you were a great help.

I just heard about this Sigil this morning. I downloaded, installed and set to work on one of my favorite novels that I had converted with the Aspose plug-in for Word. A big book (250,000 words and close to eighty chapters) that really slowed my device down and drained the battery in nothing flat. No pleasure.

Anyways, due to your reply, I was forced to actually view the CODE. I was really hoping to avoid that because I know just next to nothing about html and had never heard of CSS until today. But it worked out for me. I just deleted the very beginning CSS tags? that instructed about various fonts and sizes. I retained a few for italics and some centering I had done. Then I broke the document up into Chapters, applied Header formatting. Et voila! And I even have a TOC! I have to say that this document looks and performs better than some that I have purchased specifically for the ePub format!

So,I guess what *you* were referring to is all of the css stuff left in the body of the document, clutter. Hey, Stanza and my iPod touch clearly don't care that it is there. But I guess it makes the file size a bit bigger? Perhaps conflicts with other readers, like ADE?
Anyways, thanks again. I am a very happy reader now!
blvd is offline   Reply With Quote