Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-24-2011, 12:11 AM   #466
fohaba
fohaba began at the beginning.

Device: none
I'm a bit ashamed that my first post is for such a silly book, but here goes.

I read it only about six months ago, and have forgotten title, author, characters' names.

It is very similar to the Stephanie Plum books: silly characters, funny situations and dialog, a reluctant hero who in this case is a male detective (maybe semi-retired?). The particular one I read concerned the hero who was hired or coerced into finding and retrieving an ancient comedian from Las Vegas, where the old guy had gotten into some serious mob trouble. There was an older stripper-with-a-heart-of-gold character, who the old comedian had a fling with. I think the hero also had a love interest who was involved in the plot. I think the mob guys kidnapped one or two of the characters and held them for ransom out in the desert.

I think this guy wrote a series, ala Stephanie Plum. Any help? I promise my next post will be regarding more serious literature!

Thanks!

David
fohaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:53 AM   #467
Req13
Enthusiast
Req13 rocks like Gibraltar!Req13 rocks like Gibraltar!Req13 rocks like Gibraltar!Req13 rocks like Gibraltar!Req13 rocks like Gibraltar!Req13 rocks like Gibraltar!Req13 rocks like Gibraltar!Req13 rocks like Gibraltar!Req13 rocks like Gibraltar!Req13 rocks like Gibraltar!Req13 rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle PW4, Sony PRS-T1, PRS-600 & Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
I know this is a Name that book thread, but I couldn't find anywhere else to identify two authors many of whose books I've read through the local library years ago. I'd like to read them again, and check whether their books are available as ebooks. Both authors are refreshingly different in their own ways. I suppose they would be classified as Mystery and Crime authors.

The main character for the first author is male, of French-Canadian (and I think native American) descent who lives in Montana. He is very tough, hard drinking, and very moral in what he does.

The main character for the second author is female, and from the Boston upper crust. She was originally married to a rather older man from the same group, but after he died married a Jewish art expert.
The first one might be the Gabriel Du Pre mysteries by Peter Bowen.
I think the second one is the Sarah Kelling mysteries by Charlotte MacLeod.
Req13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2011, 04:55 AM   #468
Req13
Enthusiast
Req13 rocks like Gibraltar!Req13 rocks like Gibraltar!Req13 rocks like Gibraltar!Req13 rocks like Gibraltar!Req13 rocks like Gibraltar!Req13 rocks like Gibraltar!Req13 rocks like Gibraltar!Req13 rocks like Gibraltar!Req13 rocks like Gibraltar!Req13 rocks like Gibraltar!Req13 rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle PW4, Sony PRS-T1, PRS-600 & Nook STR
I’m looking for a science fiction book I read almost twenty years ago. It took place sometime in the future when the world was becoming uninhabitable by pollution. A secret group was making a list of special people to put into suspended animation to restart civilization after the world recovered.

I can only really remember little tidbits like oxygen booths being everywhere, and a kid with a hidden garden behind his refrigerator.

Any help with the Title/Author is appreciated.
Req13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:26 AM   #469
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
I read this book in 2001. It's a typical eco-horror story with a giant alligator in a swamp. Main character is a female (tour guide?) and the guy she doesn't get along with for most of the movie but ends up being her love interest is an alligator wrangler. Group of them along with some tourists to catch or see the alligator, alligator attacks, everyone is getting eaten one by one, etc. The part that stands out is one of them (I think the female) ends up in the alligator's den but manages to survive somehow. Very similar scene happened in the movie Rogue but the movie came out in 2007 and the Wiki page doesn't mention it being based on a book.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:23 AM   #470
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Req13 View Post
The first one might be the Gabriel Du Pre mysteries by Peter Bowen.
I think the second one is the Sarah Kelling mysteries by Charlotte MacLeod.

Bless you! Spot on for both. As soon as I saw them I recognised them. Now to search to see if they are available as ebooks.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2011, 10:44 PM   #471
shawnaleigh
shawnaleigh began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
The book I'm looking for is fiction. It takes place in Southern America. I believe it starts in Brazil. It was written by a Canadian (Albertan) Author. It goes on with him learning about the culture in the area and eventually he sees a hummingbird. I believe it may have the word hummingbird in the title?

EDIT: I have been looking for this book for several months now. A key word clicked to type in and BAM! I found it. The book is Flight of the Hummingbird by Michael Nicholl Yahgulanaas

Last edited by shawnaleigh; 08-29-2011 at 09:05 PM.
shawnaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 02:32 AM   #472
Wyrmbyte
Wyrmbyte began at the beginning.

Device: Rooted Amazon Fire HD 8, HD 10, Samsung Note 8
OK my turn.

This SciFi book is about a rich man who fakes a hostile alien invasion to get humans and another alien race to stop fighting and working together.

Things that stand out:

The guy starts out poor, and later his wife, one of his factory workers, commits suicide.

The alien race and humans both consider the other horrible ugly and barbaric.

He shows a life size fake “invading” alien to a reporter at the end and explains why he did it.

The book is more than 10 years old.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edit: Found it on another site. "The Man Who Used the Universe" by Alan Dean Foster.

Last edited by Wyrmbyte; 09-03-2011 at 02:30 PM. Reason: found it...
Wyrmbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:50 AM   #473
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by fohaba View Post

I read it only about six months ago, and have forgotten title, author, characters' names.

It is very similar to the Stephanie Plum books: silly characters, funny situations and dialog, a reluctant hero who in this case is a male detective (maybe semi-retired?). The particular one I read concerned the hero who was hired or coerced into finding and retrieving an ancient comedian from Las Vegas, where the old guy had gotten into some serious mob trouble. There was an older stripper-with-a-heart-of-gold character, who the old comedian had a fling with. I think the hero also had a love interest who was involved in the plot. I think the mob guys kidnapped one or two of the characters and held them for ransom out in the desert.

I think this guy wrote a series, ala Stephanie Plum. Any help? I promise my next post will be regarding more serious literature!

Thanks!

David
Don't think it is this, but it's as close as I can get - Get Shorty by Elmore Leonard.

It does ring some bells, though, so I'll keep thinking.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:21 PM   #474
fohaba

Thanks for the reply, Orlok.

It's definitely not Get Shorty or Elmore Leonard. I have Googled this to death, but all of the recommendations are for female heroines or more serious mystery stuff.

Any recommendations for other forums where people discuss this stuff?

Best,

David
Old 09-02-2011, 08:01 AM   #475
Witty Username
Addict
Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kobo Touch, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Thanks for the reply, Orlok.

It's definitely not Get Shorty or Elmore Leonard. I have Googled this to death, but all of the recommendations are for female heroines or more serious mystery stuff.

Any recommendations for other forums where people discuss this stuff?

Best,

David

Is it Heckler, by Dan Barton?

Review of Heckler here
Witty Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 02:07 PM   #476
fohaba

That looks like a good book, but it's definitely not the one. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

David
Old 09-08-2011, 08:16 AM   #477
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Quote:

Thanks!

David
I often compare Parnell Hall's Stanley Hastings series to Stephanie Plum, but that specific plot isn't familiar. Is it a Parnell Hall?
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 02:26 AM   #478
mrsquash
Connoisseur
mrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enough

Device: K4-NT, Sony T1
fohaba,

Take a look at While Drowning in the Desert by Don Winslow.
mrsquash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 02:20 PM   #479
Artisan
Miles away from ordinary.
Artisan began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STR
I heard about this book on a radio show years ago, and have been looking for it ever since.

It's a race-reversal story where people of colour are considered "gen-rich" and others are considered "gen-poor." The gen-rich rule and control society, similar to Gattaca (sp?).

Any ideas?
Artisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:19 AM   #480
fohaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsquash View Post
fohaba,

Take a look at While Drowning in the Desert by Don Winslow.
That's it! It was driving me crazy. I recognized the title immediately. Thanks, Mr. Squash!

David

Tags
children's books, christie, forgotten title, four just men, mystery stories, teen sleuths