Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-23-2008, 05:22 AM   #1
mccande
mccande began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Cannot see SD Card on PRS-505

When I connect my PRS-505 to my desktop PC I only see the main memory and not the SD card although Windows recognises both and opens up 2 Explorer windows.

On my laptop I always see both the main memory and the SD card.

What is wrong with the configuration on my desktop PC?

Thanks
mccande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 06:35 PM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Just posted this on another thread:

I used Calibre to send books to my Reader for the first time last night. I have always used the SD card for books, leaving the plastic "space-holder" for the MemoryStick in place (to keep out dust).

But, for me anyway, Calibre wouldn't recognize the SD card if I didn't remove the fake MemoryStick first. It was as if it had to be one or the other, not both.

Don't know if it's the same problem - but you could give that a try...
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2008, 06:44 AM   #3
CaptOzone
CaptOzone began at the beginning.

I've never had to do this, and I've been using the program for a while. I guess stranger things have happened, though.

I've had a problem with Calibre recognizing the SD Storage card in 0.04.111 - maybe the versions on the desktop and laptop are different? The OS can see the storage card fine, but Calibre can only see the internal memory.

Anyway, I've turned in a ticket as requested for the issue.

Could you let us know what versions you have on the Desktop and laptop? I'm just curious.

DCM
CaptOzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 02:43 PM   #4
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
odd...I just had this same issue.
Mac OS X version.
Sony 5.05.
Thought my SD card had died.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 07:51 PM   #5
carpii
Enthusiast
carpii began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad or Sony
I have the same problem on both Ubuntu and Windows.

I was previously trying a 16Gb SDCard with version 0.4.109 (I think) and that failed to detect the card. I was told it would only support 2G cards, so I went and bought one (even though Sony was able to read books copied manually onto the 16Gb card).

Now I see Calibre doesnt recognise the 2Gb either, even after upgrading to v0.4.112

I can send to main memory no problems, and also copy to the card manually, but neither of these options are ideal

Thanks
carpii is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2008, 08:43 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
This problem should be fixed in the next release (113)
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 08:43 PM   #7
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
try to erase the index file on the card (forgot which name and location).
Basically your card has a directory structure, one index file, and your personal files (books/audio/pictures).
Erase the index file,and restart the reader, and check if it works.

The reader will try to re-index, and with a lot of books that could take a while.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 04:05 AM   #8
mccande
mccande began at the beginning.

Can now see SD card

In my case the problem just disappeared (WinXP/PRS505)

FRom builf .109 when I plug in the PRS505 I see Windows recognising the two drives but the OS also recognises the devicd first as a PRS505 and the as a PRS700.

Since the I always see the SD card.
mccande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 04:07 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There's a bug in calibre that affects the detection of the PRS505 card (it misidentifies as a PRS700) will be fixed in next released.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:54 AM   #10
CaptOzone

Now in Windows it doesn't see either memory storage

I tried 0.4.114 in WIndows, and while the OS sees both memory cards, neither one is seen in Calibre, and in fact it does not even show the reader as connected under Calibre.

I can't try under Linux as I use 64 bit Ubuntu, and I can't get it to install.

Let me know if you need info to look at this.

DCM
Old 12-13-2008, 01:50 PM   #11
CaptOzone

I have installed a new machine with 32bit Ubuntu - Calibre runs, the OS sees the Storage on the PRS-505 - both internal and Storage Card, but Calibre sees no storage on the PRS-505, not even internal storage.

If I look where Calibre usually said the type of device connected, there is nothing there - its like it does not even see the reader now.

This is the exact same thing it does on the Windows machine under Calibre.

The Sony-eBook reader software under WIndows sees all the storage devices fine.

Let me know if I can provide you with machine specific information.

DCM
Old 12-13-2008, 02:10 PM   #12
CaptOzone

Nevermind. For whatever reason, when I removed it from the Sony Reader software and put it back on Calibre, it worked perfectly.

Go figure.

DCM
Old 12-14-2008, 04:14 PM   #13
carpii
Enthusiast
carpii began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad or Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
This problem should be fixed in the next release (113)
Thanks for listening Calibre now recognises my Sony SD Card.
But interestingly so does Ubuntu now. Im not sure how that can be the result of upgrading Calibre though
carpii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 10:30 PM   #14
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
I just installed 0.4.117 today, and I have the same SD card recognition problem. Windows XP will recognize the card in the reader, but Calibre does not.
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 12:57 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fledchen View Post
I just installed 0.4.117 today, and I have the same SD card recognition problem. Windows XP will recognize the card in the reader, but Calibre does not.
Run

prs500 df

in a terminal and post the results (with your reader attached)