Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-28-2011, 04:57 PM   #1
Pinkie
Connoisseur
Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard, Nook Color, Kobo
Problems installing CM7 from SD card

I'm using a Nook Color with the 1.3 update, and the instructions from the XDA forum. I have two cards, one a Sandisk 4gb class 4 card and another a class 10 8gb card. I got the 8gb card to work once, then took it out to check the NC stock booted up okay (I like the reader). It did, put the card back in, tried to boot up, but it got stuck on the little animation and circle screen.

I reformatted the card, and although it seemed to go through okay, it got stuck on the screen that says "Android." I tried the 4gb card, which is of the type recommended, and got exactly the same result. After I've gone through the first bit, then restarted, I get "Loading" and then the little blue "Android" letter and that's it. it doesn't go any further.

I'm using the latest stable release and the generic writer, and the latest gapps file. And I'm ready to give up. Until a few days ago I had a rooted NC, but the market stopped working, and whatever I did it wouldn't work, so I restored the original firmware and sideloaded the 1.3 update.

Also, when I write to the SD card, using the generic file, the card is formatted into one tiny partition and one large unallocated section. Not big enough for the process to run. I've not read about this behaviour anywhere else. I followed the instructions on this page:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1000957

What am I doing wrong? (I borrowed an SD card and went through the whole thing again, just in case it was the card. Did exactly the same thing).
Pinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:15 AM   #2
oppy
Connoisseur
oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nook Color
Not sure where you snagged, but I would try using Win32 DiskImager to write the CWM image to your SD. I have seen a few posts about issues with WinImage.

From there, try one of the recent nightlies.
oppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2011, 11:32 AM   #3
Pinkie
Connoisseur
Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the reply! I found out what it was, when I tried to do the 8 boot reset. I still had Clockwork Mod installed on the main memory, and that stuffs up your recovery options.
So I reflashed the image on the Nook, installed the 1.3 update, and redid the card. It works a treat. And just to show that it wasn't a fluke, did it with my friend's rooted Nook Color, too.
Clockwork Mod must do a lot of stuff to the internal memory, and I hadn't realised that it hadn't been uninstalled when I did the original restore to stock.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:53 AM   #4
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
It seems really unlikely CWM was to blame. If anything, I would think that the problem is you're using the last stable release (7.0.3) with verygreen's latest installer and the latest gapps, both of which are made to work with 7.1 builds, which have a different kernel and require different bootloaders. You would be better served using a current build of CM7, as verygreen suggests in his instructions. Among other things, it would add a multiboot menu, so you wouldn't have to eject the card to boot into stock.

Right now, your best bet would probably be nightly 203. My rule of thumb in grabbing a nightly as an alternative to the out-of-date stable releases (as opposed to grabbing them with the intent of bug testing) is to check the last page or two of this thread to make sure there hasn't been a rash of trouble reports (most nightlies are rock-solid, but occasionally there's a dud). Then, grab the most recent nightly that's at least a day old.

If your system is back up and you're happy with it, of course you can leave well enough alone, but if problems return, you might want to consider the above.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:40 AM   #5
Pinkie
Connoisseur

There are some things about the latest nightlies that look good, not least the multiboot choice.
Is there a way I can update the 7.0.3 without losing all the apps and settings I've put on the card? or do I have to start from scratch?
I am a complete novice at this, so if I can do it, anyone can. And I really, really appreciate the various threads that describe doing this in detail.
Advert
Old 10-07-2011, 11:46 AM   #6
Pinkie
Connoisseur

Maybe I should add that when I did the 8 boot reset, and then tried to wipe the device and restore to memory, the Nook couldn't find a "build" - there was no version. Although the NC looked okay, nothing worked when I tried to find anything. So that was the problem, and from reading things on another thread, it looks like CWM was the most likely culprit. But I'm no expert, and I'm only going on what I was able to find out and what I learned in doing.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:53 PM   #7
Pinkie
Connoisseur

Okay, I've tried some nightlies. None of them that I've tried work on my NC with 1.3
I've tried the one you recommended, 2.03, then I tried 2.10, 2.11 and 2.13
They seem to install okay, then when I try to power up, I get a nice little green CM7 flag, and then - nothing. I have to take the card out to get the NC to boot up.
Luckily I put the new versions on a spare card to try them out first. When I use the generic image, it creates a really small partition, which, if I leave it, creates errors (not enough room for buffers and inflating packages). So I'm using a partition manager to enlarge the partition.
I'm using a spare 4gb card (class 4) to play with.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:11 PM   #8
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkie View Post
Is there a way I can update the 7.0.3 without losing all the apps and settings I've put on the card? or do I have to start from scratch?
When you update a SASD install, it leaves your apps and settings in place.

Quote:
it looks like CWM was the most likely culprit.
Yes, CWM will prevent the 8-failed-boots recovery from working. It sounded like you were saying you thought CWM was interfering with your SD install, which it can't really do.

Quote:
Okay, I've tried some nightlies. None of them that I've tried work on my NC with 1.3
One way or another, the card is not getting set up properly. It has nothing to do with the stock firmware or what's in your recovery. In my experience, the majority of problems getting a SD install to boot come back to the card reader being used to write the image, with the runner up being corrupted downloads.

Are you using a dedicated SD or micro-SD reader, and not any kind of all-in-one device?

If none of the nightlies are working, it sounds like the installer is at fault and not the update files, so I would download a fresh copy of the disk image.

FYI, you can use your disk imaging program to backup your whole working SD install as an image, then restore it later the same way you originally wrote the installer image.

Quote:
I've tried the one you recommended, 2.03, then I tried 2.10, 2.11 and 2.13
Just to clear up some of the numbers flying around,
  • Current B&N firmware version: 1.3
  • Current verygreen SASD installer version: 1.3 (unrelated coincidence!)
  • Last CyanogenMod stable release version: 7.0.3
  • CyanogenMod version under current development: 7.1
  • Current CM7 nightly build for the NC: #213. They're numbered sequentially, indicating the night on which they were released. Nightly #1 was released 213 days ago.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote