Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-29-2013, 02:24 PM   #271
danicca
Addict
danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Well, the shelf thingy worked, but I was only half successful with naming books after series. The plugboard didn't work, so I deleted files and poked around kobo icon. The files are now named corectly, but I still see only title and author when looking at them on ereader. What did I miss?
They are on sd card if it makes a difference.
danicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:39 AM   #272
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
To change the displayed title comes from the metadata in the book. This can be changed during the send with the plugboard. Can you tell us what the plugboard you are using is?

If you need help on the plugboards, start with https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118563. That has some examples suitable for the Kobo.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:31 AM   #273
danicca
Addict
danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It informed me there were already settings for device so I chickened out. This is what is on send to device option: {tags}/{author_sort}/{series}{series_index:0>2s| – | – }{title}. I even tried to update metadata, still nothing.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:51 PM   #274
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danicca View Post
It informed me there were already settings for device so I chickened out. This is what is on send to device option: {tags}/{author_sort}/{series}{series_index:0>2s| – | – }{title}.
That is the save template for naming the files on the device. I would remove {tags} as that is unlikely to help. The rest sounds reasonable.
Quote:
I even tried to update metadata, still nothing.
The device reads metadata from a book the first time it sees it. If you resend the book, it doesn't update the metadata.

For the plugboard, go to them in the preferences. Look through the list of existing plugboards for one that matches the book format and device type, and select it. To do what I think you want, you can try setting the template to "{series}{series_index:0>2s| – | – }{title}" and the destination field to "title". And save the plugboard. This should get used the next time you send a book.

Last edited by davidfor; 10-30-2013 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Fixed quoting
Old 10-31-2013, 08:15 AM   #275
danicca
Addict

Thanks! I tried it again and it looks it worked. Now just to resend all books.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:05 PM   #276
susaz
Zealot
susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Grammata Papyre 6.2, Sony PRS T1, Nook ST Glow,Kobo Glo
A million thanks! It worked beautifully! At first I had trouble following directions (I use Calibre and reader in spanish, and the translations get you thinking exactly where is that menu!) but after I resolved it, I love having my books neatly tucked in and finding them easily! Great Job!
susaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:01 PM   #277
nerowolfe
nerowolfe began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Hello, I've just bought a Kobo Touch and I've got a few questions before I start using Calibre.

Is it possible to have one shelf titled Mysteries then within it, there are multiple shelves such as Victorian, Police Procedural etc?

If not, how can I do the shelves? I want to be search for books under their mystery genres and also look up by series and author. Or is it better to use tags?

If this has been answered before, please point me to the right post. I'm a complete novice to Calibre :/

Many thanks in advance
nerowolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:06 PM   #278
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I just tried to do this and all that happened is I lost all my existing collections which I had set up on my device.

Is there a way to just have collections sent to my KOBO Aura which are my Calibre Tags? Thats all I want for now. I don't care about series info.

I've made sure the Custom Shelf is populated in Edit metadata but I can't get any shelf to create on my Aura

Last edited by Josieb1; 12-02-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:43 PM   #279
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerowolfe View Post
Hello, I've just bought a Kobo Touch and I've got a few questions before I start using Calibre.

Is it possible to have one shelf titled Mysteries then within it, there are multiple shelves such as Victorian, Police Procedural etc?

If not, how can I do the shelves? I want to be search for books under their mystery genres and also look up by series and author. Or is it better to use tags?

If this has been answered before, please point me to the right post. I'm a complete novice to Calibre :/

Many thanks in advance
No sub-collections.
I have a genre custom column where I have hierarchal tags. fantasy, fantasy.urban, fantasy.mystery etc. These show up one after another so it is workable.

You can have series and author shelves as well, but on the Kobo readers a lot of shelves slows down opening the shelf menu horrendously. It is okay on my mini with series and genre shelves, but on my Aura HD with more books it takes a minute to just open the shelf menu.

Works very well on Sony readers though.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:23 PM   #280
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I just tried to do this and all that happened is I lost all my existing collections which I had set up on my device.

Is there a way to just have collections sent to my KOBO Aura which are my Calibre Tags? Thats all I want for now. I don't care about series info.

I've made sure the Custom Shelf is populated in Edit metadata but I can't get any shelf to create on my Aura
I seem to have got it to work now. I didn't have the KOBO Extended Plug In Installed. I do now and I can see my shelves in the Device field. I haven't unplugged it yet as its still loading books but its looking hopeful
Old 12-02-2013, 01:26 PM   #281
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Yes that should do it, if you have your plugin configured right. That's one of the things I appreciate most about the Kobo, the ability to make shelves from Calibre columns.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:43 PM   #282
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Yes that should do it, if you have your plugin configured right. That's one of the things I appreciate most about the Kobo, the ability to make shelves from Calibre columns.
Its perfect now. I've just bought a 16GB SD Card (I know its a bit large) so my plan is to load all my genre books on it and without Calibre controlled collections it would be a nightmare, but its looking good so far, and I like the way books on the SD Card are not treated any differently

Last edited by Josieb1; 12-02-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:43 PM   #283
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Once you configure the shelf management in the driver, it takes over the shelves for books in the calibre library. That means that if you use the device to put a book on a shelf and then connect to calibre, the book will be removed from the shelf.
Quote:

I think you have already worked out that you put "tags" into the shelf column field instead of the example of "series".
Quote:
I seem to have got it to work now. I didn't have the KOBO Extended Plug In Installed. I do now and I can see my shelves in the Device field. I haven't unplugged it yet as its still loading books but its looking hopeful
Just so you know, installing the extended plugin didn't fix this. The extended plugin has no shelf management function, it uses the function in KOBOTouch driver. The options you see are actually part of that driver. The reason it is working is that you have now configured the driver and calibre correctly.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:47 AM   #284
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Once you configure the shelf management in the driver, it takes over the shelves for books in the calibre library. That means that if you use the device to put a book on a shelf and then connect to calibre, the book will be removed from the shelf.

I think you have already worked out that you put "tags" into the shelf column field instead of the example of "series".

Just so you know, installing the extended plugin didn't fix this. The extended plugin has no shelf management function, it uses the function in KOBOTouch driver. The options you see are actually part of that driver. The reason it is working is that you have now configured the driver and calibre correctly.
I have no idea how I did it tbh. In the end I loaded the Extended Plug in then went to Device Plug Ins and made sure the Kobo Reader, Kobo Touch and Kobo Extended all had the same settings.

Yes I manually added the Tag details to the Custom Metadata fields by collections. As I have over 1000 books in my main unread collection I think it's about time I sub divided!
Old 12-03-2013, 05:35 AM   #285
nerowolfe
nerowolfe began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
No sub-collections.
I have a genre custom column where I have hierarchal tags. fantasy, fantasy.urban, fantasy.mystery etc. These show up one after another so it is workable.

You can have series and author shelves as well, but on the Kobo readers a lot of shelves slows down opening the shelf menu horrendously. It is okay on my mini with series and genre shelves, but on my Aura HD with more books it takes a minute to just open the shelf menu.

Works very well on Sony readers though.

Helen
I see what you mean. Thanks for the advice.
nerowolfe is offline   Reply With Quote