Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 05-24-2012, 11:49 AM   #1
ewandeep
Zealot
ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Sony PRS-T1 Sony PRS-350 Nook Touch Glow
Bricked PRS-T1 help me

While trying the procedure of repartioning, https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=178199

I am afraid my Sony is bricked.

I can reboot the device but It remains in the opening books screen (when the progress bar arrives to the end).

If I connect to windows, it is not recognized, neither using partition manager.

I am able to go into revery (menu+Home), but also putting in sd card the rescue recovory and rebooting into recovery, nothing happens, the reader remains in the opening books screen (when the progress bar arrives to the end).

Any help would be appreciated.
ewandeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:32 AM   #2
ewandeep
Zealot
ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

I succeed in accessing by serial console, here the result of command df
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Schermata 05-2456073 alle 10.31.31.png
Views:	1517
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	86842  
Old 05-25-2012, 10:55 AM   #3
rupor
meat popsicle
rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindles, Pixels, iPads
ewandeep
If you follow the procedure you should have a full backup now, right? Just boot into recovery and complete restore and start over...

If this does not work (albeit it should - since you serial is working) you will need to restore your missing partitions one by one by hands using approach similar to what is on WiKi page via fdisk and dd... Unfortunately defining such procedure is beyond something which I think could be easily accomplished - so you have to do it on your own. Of course we may be able to help answering your questions - but you have to ask them first. What do I do seems a bit to generic...

Last edited by rupor; 05-25-2012 at 11:21 AM.
rupor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:42 AM   #4
ewandeep
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupor View Post
ewandeep
If you follow the procedure you should have a full backup now, right? Just boot into recovery and complete restore and start over...

Thank you, Rupor.
I tried to recover by formatting using the serial access the /data partition.
Unfortunately, after that I cannot go into recovery anymore and so I cannot access to the serial.

I'll try to explain, If I press (after the reboot) Home+Menu, the progress bar (below Opening Book) go until the end, with the orange light on the power button blinking.

I'll release the buttons and (before it remained in the recovery state) unfortunately the reader reboot (I suppose, as the bar below Opening Book, starts again from the beginning).

So, you know any other way to go into recovery?

Thank for your help
Old 05-25-2012, 04:32 PM   #5
rupor
meat popsicle
rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!

With blinking orange you are in recovery mode - so I think you should be able to boot with my rescue SD card to restore full system. Formatting data partition should not be harmful - it happens every time when you go to factory reset anyway.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:04 PM   #6
ewandeep
Zealot

Quote:
With blinking orange you are in recovery mode - so I think you should be able to boot with my rescue SD card to restore full system. Formatting data partition should not be harmful - it happens every time when you go to factory reset anyway.
No, sorry, after the progress bar arrives to the end, the reader reboot and there is no blinking orange anymore. SO the reader does not remain in the recovery mode.
Anyway I tried the rescue of uboot and nothing happens.
Where may I find your rescue sd card, so I tried with it?

There is a way I can know the reader is making the rescue operation?
Old 05-28-2012, 06:16 AM   #7
ewandeep
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewandeep View Post
No, sorry, after the progress bar arrives to the end, the reader reboot and there is no blinking orange anymore. SO the reader does not remain in the recovery mode.
Anyway I tried the rescue of uboot and nothing happens.
Where may I find your rescue sd card, so I tried with it?

There is a way I can know the reader is making the rescue operation?
Up, rupor where may I find your rescue?
Old 05-28-2012, 09:19 AM   #8
rupor
meat popsicle

ewandeep
You have it - it is the same SD card used for backup...
Old 05-28-2012, 09:55 AM   #9
ewandeep
Zealot

Quote:
ewandeep
You have it - it is the same SD card used for backup...
Sorry, I did not use your sd card, I used disk image to make the backup of my reader (so I got a file ending with .img).

so, may you indicate if there is an alternative mode to recover my T1?
Thanks anyway
Old 06-05-2012, 12:58 AM   #10
andrednz
andrednz began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-t1
Same as Ewandeep

Hey, guys. I'm new here but been experiencing the problem for the last 4 days... I'm starting to lose my hope.

In my case, I have rooted the PRS-T1 and it worked fine for 2 days. After installing a game (coincidence or not) the reader entered in demo mode. And I tried to un-root it in order to fix this problem next time I tried to root it again.

After trying to un-root the reader has the same behaviour. It fully loads the bar from opening book and either gets stuck forever or keeps randomly rebooting to the same screen.

And to make it worse, it is not being detected by Windows 7 nor Lubuntu...

I would really appreciate more information concerning the recovery process with the micro-sd card (should I format it in FAT or FAT 32? Should I take the card off the reader before reseting it?)

Thank you all!
andrednz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:35 AM   #11
giovaorama
giovaorama began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewandeep View Post
While trying the procedure of repartioning, https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=178199

I am afraid my Sony is bricked.

I can reboot the device but It remains in the opening books screen (when the progress bar arrives to the end).

If I connect to windows, it is not recognized, neither using partition manager.

I am able to go into revery (menu+Home), but also putting in sd card the rescue recovory and rebooting into recovery, nothing happens, the reader remains in the opening books screen (when the progress bar arrives to the end).

Any help would be appreciated.
My problem seems to be very similar to yours (if you want we can talk in Italian using PM).

Anyway, I rooted with the last rupor package and this procedure works... after reboot I install also the APP2SD and after reboot all was messed up

The reader remains in the opening book screen until I press the home button and the it goes to home but without any images. The button in someways are working but not completely, that is, if I press them something happen in the home screen, but I can't call any "sub menu".

The reader can't be detected, that is, both windows and linux detect the partitions but I can't access (mount) them. This situation avoid to made a normal recovery or install the original firmware.

I try the sd-rescue (the one from uboot) but the reader remains endless with the power led blinking but I can't see any activity in the sd card.

So i'm stucked.

Does someone known a low level procedure (under linux for instance) to recreate the partitions, filesystem structure and all the rest?
giovaorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:05 AM   #12
Kwestionmark
Kwestionmark began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-T1
Unhappy Another brick in the PRS-T1-wall - HELP NEEDED

History so far:

I rooted my PRS-T1 using Rupor's Minimal package; after rooting the device booted fine, but I didn't see much change. I thought OK, that's fine with me, all I want is the Kindle app and a file explorer and maybe a few other small tools, nothing special.

So I ran Rupor'S Enable Asec package because I thought it is a smart idea to have all my apps on the big SD-card.

After applying this, the PRS-T1 gets stuck in a bootloop. The 'Opening Book' progress bar comes up, during which the ORANGE light flashes about 3 times, then turns RED. Then comes the screen with the 2 round arrows going in circles forever. Once I press the HOME button, I reach the device homepage (but the page is incomplete; on touching, a button will turn black, that's all. No function.

Well, I thought, let's rescue and start all over again with more attention to the details (for example I think I left the SD card in at some point, which was a mistake)

No chance.

With the OS-Files and recovery image on the SD card (FAT32) I try booting with HOME and MENU pressed, but the ORANGE indicator light turns RED before the 'Opening Book' progress bar has reached the end (where you're supposed to release HOME&MENU). It seems the device doesn't connect to the SD-Card properly and therefore doesn't boot the rescueing image ....

I believe that the Enable Asec (i.e. my stupidity and lack of patience in reading instructions etc.) must have changed the internals of the device irreversibly.

When I USB-connect to a PC, I see three unknown drives.

Now I have 2 questions:

(1) Will anyone (including Sony repair shop) be able to bring my Reader back to life? Or will this reader now become just another brick in the wall of dead electronic devices forever?

(2) Is there anything else I can try? I can't figure out how to reach the device's internals (for example with Putty or such) nor do I have an idea what t do if I could.

HELP is greatly appreciated. Many many thanks!!!!

?MARK
Kwestionmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:14 AM   #13
e-ink
partly refreshed
e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: It's a Sony :P prs-t1
First I'd re-format the SDCard or try another one to see if that solves the issue.

This will get you both serial and partition access.
If you don't have a backup or can't manually solve the problem there are also other ways to restore

After you established a working root again I recommend one of the million ways to resize the data partition, rather then using APPS2SD. gparted worked very smoothly for me. Backup your device before!
e-ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:51 AM   #14
Kwestionmark
Kwestionmark began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-T1
Back to root

[QUOTE=e-ink;2258102]First I'd re-format the SDCard or try another one to see if that solves the issue.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR ADVICE, e-ink

I did, and then copied OS Firmware from rupor-rescue onto the SD-card, booted with HOME and MENU (USB connected) and magically, Windows showed an unknown device - after copying gserial.inf into Windows' .inf-folder, I even managed to get a COM Port which now I can adress with Putty.
I can see the T1 partitions, I could even test-save the T1's image (using Roadkil's DiskImage).

Great!

Now from here: I'm not sure what to do. I imagine that it should be possible to simply copy some healthy image (update.img) back onto the reader (using again Diskimage) and voilà.

But somehow I doubt this can work.
The T1's image is 1,8 GByte, the rescue image has barely 400 MByte.

I typed 'root'
then
'chgboot recovery && reboot'

then Putty disconnected and I don't remember clearly what happened next

But I can now boot the T1 with the recovery image on the sd-card.
Now the orange light keeps flashing for more than 20 mins
Nothing else happens

Getting impatient,
I press RESET
then I press the ON button,
the T1 reboots, but eventually halts while displaying the circling arrows.

Do I need to repartition something?
I only want achieve a 'hard reset' - so that I can screw up the T1 once more …………

Many thanks for your help!
Kwestionmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:01 AM   #15
e-ink
partly refreshed
e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: It's a Sony :P prs-t1
No, partitioning is what you CAN do after rooting to make the "DATA" partition bigger so it'll fit more apps. You then won't need to move apps to SD.

As you are able to boot into recovery/rescue, you will most likely also be able to unroot/restore your device as it works similar as the recovery booting.
However I can't help you out other than pointing in the right direction since I have no experience doing that. Check the above mentioned link "ways to restore" and search the forum.

Good luck!
e-ink is offline   Reply With Quote