Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 02-03-2010, 01:57 PM   #1
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
Audio files on Astak devices

I tried to find more information on what audio files are supported on Astak devices, but I only remember reading that it supports mp3. What about m4b? I've got several and would like to be able to listen to them when I travel. I still haven't bought a device because I'd like to wait and see what comes out in the next couple of months; especially if it's bigger display.

Also, when you listen to an audio file, pause/turn it off, does it remember the last location when you start it up again?
citac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:06 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by citac View Post
I tried to find more information on what audio files are supported on Astak devices, but I only remember reading that it supports mp3. What about m4b? I've got several and would like to be able to listen to them when I travel. I still haven't bought a device because I'd like to wait and see what comes out in the next couple of months; especially if it's bigger display.

Also, when you listen to an audio file, pause/turn it off, does it remember the last location when you start it up again?
Pause, is just that. Pause
Pull your Headset or Stop or turn the Unit OFF (also attaching the USB) loses your place.
Only the First selection (Started) in a folder appears on the "Recently Read" list. No bookmark for position.
I have not tried using M3u (play list) files to see it those work. There is no "Play list" selection. You can "jump" tracks within a folder.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2010, 05:36 PM   #3
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Researching with the factory

Quote:

Dear citac:

I am with Astak and thank you fopr the post. We know it does great MP3. We know it will not play iTunes music. Legally, we cannot say it does audio books because of legal issues.

We are researching all of this and I will try to get back to you on this.

Dale DePriest, moderator, likely knows. He knows everything about the Pocket PRO better than Astak does (as he knows the techncial side of the product). I am sure he will post to you!!

One way or the other... we will get you an answer!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:45 AM   #4
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear citac:

I am with Astak and thank you fopr the post. We know it does great MP3. We know it will not play iTunes music. Legally, we cannot say it does audio books because of legal issues.

If the Audio books are in MP3 format, there is no problem!!

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:01 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
If the Audio books are in MP3 format, there is no problem!!

AJ
AJ
I have a cheap, Trio MP3 player.
It plays MP3 files Nicely.
It plays Audio book file nicely. In the wrong order

The device does not support "Play "lists", and part of the underlying problem is the DOS 8.3 file names for long named files , No file sort on the device and the nature of the order, Windows performs a sorted group, "file copy".

On the PEz:
Not remembering the exact place in an audio book, is very important
We don't always have the luxury of stopping at a track break.

Remembering-Updating "Recently Read" with the Last Track (name) is Mandatory . Currently, it shows The session starting track.

I tried Audio Books.
The PEz receives a FAIL as an Audio Book reader for the above reasons.

No Problem! here! It did not claim to be a Audio Book reader
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2010, 01:48 PM   #6
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
AJ
I have a cheap, Trio MP3 player.
It plays MP3 files Nicely.
It plays Audio book file nicely. In the wrong order
I have been listening to audio books for a couple of years, and thus I have purchased about 5 to 6 "cheap" mp3 players. I have noticed this:

Each player plays the files in the order of different data. The data I have been able to narrow down is:

Some play by track number: Thus if you have all the tracks as No. 1, the player choose which ones to play. One of mine played all odd then all even according to file name.

Some play by track name: Thus the track name would confuse the player if the name was not in numeric order. Also, I noticed that only the first few digists were used, so that track "Happy Track 1" would be the same as "Happy Track 2" because only the first few characters were used.

Some play by file name: Most file names are listed numberically, so probably not a problem there. Again, make sure the numbers are listed early in the track, i.e., "001 book name" not "book name author 001"

Some play by the order that the files are transferred to the device. I use Windows explorer and "drag and drop". When I Select the range of tracks, I noticed if I just "grabbed" somewhere in the middle of the selection, that would be the first tracks transferred, proceding to the end of the selection, then back to the beginning down to the one I had grabbed.

In summary: When I get a new MP3 book, I go into different programs I have and I :
1. Make sure the tracks are numbered sequentially.
2. Make sure the track names are numbered: 001 Book Name
3. Make sure the file names are numbered: 001 Book Name.mp3
4. When I transfer the audio book to my mp3 player (usually onto an SD card) I ALWAYS make sure I "grab" the first track when I move the whole folder.

My problems have been almost nil.

The only other factor to watch out for, is if your mp3 player has a maximum number of tracks allowed which is less than the number of tracks in to book.

Feel free to ask me to clarify any of this.

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:16 PM   #7
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Pause, is just that. Pause
Lol, I obviously spent way too much time grading finals to write something that silly; I need to kick start my brain.

Thanks!
Old 02-04-2010, 02:27 PM   #8
citac
Fanatic

Thank you everyone for replying to my question.

I'm asking because a bunch of my friends have started recording their fiction (both fan and original), usually in m4b format because they can include covers with it. I don't have iTunes so I don't know whether remembering the position in a file depends on the software or the audio file itself. I often travel and since I can't read due to motion sickness, I listen to music and wondered if those files would be playable. It's not something I must have; I'm getting an ebook reader to read.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:34 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Thank you everyone for replying to my question.

I'm asking because a bunch of my friends have started recording their fiction (both fan and original), usually in m4b format because they can include covers with it. I don't have iTunes so I don't know whether remembering the position in a file depends on the software or the audio file itself. I often travel and since I can't read due to motion sickness, I listen to music and wondered if those files would be playable. It's not something I must have; I'm getting an ebook reader to read.
I have even seen included covers on MP3 files that I got from Amazon. Somehow they are just tacked on the end below the id data. However the Pocket Pro will not use covers.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:40 PM   #10
citac
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I have even seen included covers on MP3 files that I got from Amazon. Somehow they are just tacked on the end below the id data.
Hm, interesting. I'll have to see how that's done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
However the Pocket Pro will not use covers.

Dale
That's perfectly fine. It would be nice to have, but is not a deal breaker.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:41 PM   #11
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
Citac. Ask why your friends are using m4b as it is only really playable on computers or itune compatible stuff. They can put their book covers into mp3's which every player can handle. This link will give you some explanation on what I mean and a solution to convert. I have no idea if it works as I touch nothing Apple. Just trying to help.
http://itunesm4ptomp3.wordpress.com/...iobook-to-mp3/
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:52 PM   #12
citac
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
I have been listening to audio books for a couple of years, and thus I have purchased about 5 to 6 "cheap" mp3 players. I have noticed this:

Each player plays the files in the order of different data. The data I have been able to narrow down is:

[snip]

In summary: When I get a new MP3 book, I go into different programs I have and I :
1. Make sure the tracks are numbered sequentially.
2. Make sure the track names are numbered: 001 Book Name
3. Make sure the file names are numbered: 001 Book Name.mp3
4. When I transfer the audio book to my mp3 player (usually onto an SD card) I ALWAYS make sure I "grab" the first track when I move the whole folder.

My problems have been almost nil.

The only other factor to watch out for, is if your mp3 player has a maximum number of tracks allowed which is less than the number of tracks in to book.

Feel free to ask me to clarify any of this.

AJ
I recently got an mp4 player by Acme, mostly because of its recording function which comes in handy for long lectures when I can't keep up with note taking. It plays files numerically, so I have to make sure all the numbers are at least double digit - 01 instead of 1 otherwise it doesn't follow the order. I haven't tried any m4b on it yet, but I will. Thank you for taking the trouble to clarify this for me!
Old 02-04-2010, 02:56 PM   #13
citac
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post
Citac. Ask why your friends are using m4b as it is only really playable on computers or itune compatible stuff. They can put their book covers into mp3's which every player can handle. This link will give you some explanation on what I mean and a solution to convert. I have no idea if it works as I touch nothing Apple. Just trying to help.
http://itunesm4ptomp3.wordpress.com/...iobook-to-mp3/
I think it's mostly because they have iPods and have been swearing by them . They also say it's because the players remember the last position in a file so they don't have to manually seek where they left off.

I will check out that link, thank you.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:04 PM   #14
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
I thought that would be the answer. Have a friendly chat with them and explain why they are cutting off 90% of their potential audience, much as we do here with Authors that only release Kindle books.
Let us know how the conversions work. Always useful to know.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:10 PM   #15
citac
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post
I thought that would be the answer. Have a friendly chat with them and explain why they are cutting off 90% of their potential audience, much as we do here with Authors that only release Kindle books.
Let us know how the conversions work. Always useful to know.
It's a very limited audience anyway. They do offer both versions, I was just curious whether this particular type of file would be playable by Astak ereaders (or any other reader for that matter) since I didn't have much experience with them, but that wouldn't influence my decision of whether or not to buy an ereader. I mostly listen to music, so bookmarks in a file aren't very important to me, but these files are long (couple or more hours) so manual searching is cumbersome.