Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-14-2010, 09:25 AM   #16
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tthorne View Post
YOU ARE NOT GOING TO BELIEVE HOW FREAKING LUCKY I GOT!!!

This morning I pled my case with a supervisor at Amazon and he was the first person there that even remotely sounded like he felt bad about someone getting screwed. He ended up offering me $30 off a new 3G model and even gave me free OVERNIGHT shipping, laughing about how my impatience was what got me into the mess in the first place.

I know it is not a massive discount, but between that and overnight shipping, it added up to almost $70. I bought the lighted case too. Seriously, that was enough for me to reaffirm my love for Amazon. The thoughtfulness was something I won't forget. I will find that guy's boss tomorrow and make sure he knows.

THEN!!!!!

The seller of the lost/stolen Kindle called me back and told me he wanted to refund my money. Turns out he bought 60 of them from some guy the day before and sold a bunch of them yesterday only to get a bunch of calls like mine. So he was going around all day today refunding peoples money and filed a complaint with the police.

What can I say? I'm floored. Now I just can't wait until tomorrow when my new Kindle arrives.
Wow! You did get lucky! I'm glad it all worked out for you but I have to say that I think Amazon's policy should have stayed in effect. Not because I think you deserved to be ripped off but now you've actually been rewarded for buying stolen merchandise. Those who purchased through proper channels did not get $30 off and may didn't get free overnight shipping. That's not fair.

That said, since you read a lot of scripts, you may want a Kindle DX instead of a 6 inch Kindle. The smaller screen does not handle scripts in PDF form very well and no one has figured out how to format them properly for the smaller screen (I'm a Script Supervisor).

Enjoy your new Kindle!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:57 PM   #17
tthorne
tthorne has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle
Yes, although it did work out, it is kind of unfair. All fairness to Amazon though, I spend a ton with them and told them I was switching my business to Barnes and Noble because I felt hung out to dry. I doubt even my Amazon spending means that much to a company that large, but one guy over there saw value enough to it to try to preserve it. It really wasn't their fault in the first place, which is why it isn't fair. But they did make the right business move, from a negotiations stand point.

Let me know what you mean on the script format. I loaded one on the Kindle I returned and it looked fine for the brief time I was looking at it. BTW, Talent manager here. Are you guys using ipads at all on set?
tthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2010, 01:07 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Thanks abookreader. I work in the film/TV industry and read scripts by the dozen. During pilot season alone (January to April) I read upwards of 10,000 pages and the Kindle is a great way to be green (save paper) and not have to carry a big, heavy box of scripts wherever I go. On the green note, I think I am going to get everyone in my company switched over to a Kindle.

Surprisingly, when I'm not reading the scripts, my favorite thing to do is read books...
The best thing to do is try to get the people creating the PDF to create it sized for the 6" screen with no margins. That way, it will look good on your K3.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:10 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Congratulations on the seller doing the right thing. That is lucky.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:05 PM   #20
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Wow, tthorne, you sure did get lucky.

I think pdfs look okay on the Kindle. When the print is too teeny I just set it to landscape mode. I like mobi better, of course, but pdfs are useable.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2010, 02:07 PM   #21
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
Quote:
YOU ARE NOT GOING TO BELIEVE HOW FREAKING LUCKY I GOT!!!
That is a bunch of luck indeed. Congratulations!
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 05:33 AM   #22
xplorer
xplorer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The best thing to do is try to get the people creating the PDF to create it sized for the 6" screen with no margins. That way, it will look good on your K3.
Actually, there is a much better way to read PDF's on the Kindle.

Use the FREE Calibre ebook manager from:
http://calibre-ebook.com/

Use it to convert the books from PDF (or any other ebook format), to MOBI format, and it can also transfer the books to your Kindle (or any other reader).

It does a pretty good conversion from PDF to MOBI.

Enjoy!
xplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:06 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplorer View Post
Actually, there is a much better way to read PDF's on the Kindle.

Use the FREE Calibre ebook manager from:
http://calibre-ebook.com/

Use it to convert the books from PDF (or any other ebook format), to MOBI format, and it can also transfer the books to your Kindle (or any other reader).

It does a pretty good conversion from PDF to MOBI.

Enjoy!
Sorry, that's not good enough. PDF doesn't convert well enough and a novel length PDF will not convert without errors and sometimes the errors can be rather glaring. Glaring enough to drop you from your reading into looking at the errors instead of the book.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:16 AM   #24
mamabutton25
mamabutton25 began at the beginning.

Device: none
WIFI WORK

Quote:
I wish I had found this forum earlier. Oh well.

I got scammed buying a Kindle 3 brand new in the box from a 3rd party on Craigslist. Looks like its happened before. The seller is nowhere to be found. Amazon says it is a lost or stolen item, so I can't register it and they don't want it back. Now I have a lot of opinions on how Amazon is handling this, but I'll keep them to myself.

The issue is that I have this Kindle here that I'd like to put to use. I am happy that I can load my pdfs into it, since that is the major reason I purchased one, and I figured out that I can still get any book I want on this thing as long as I download to my computer and then transfer it over via usb.

I just want to know if there is a hack to getting the internet to work on it despite Amazon's deactivation. If one is not available, is this like the iphone where people just need time to develop a hack for the new version? I think I saw a registration hack out there for the Kindle 2...

I know someone who uses a kindle fire that has been blacklisted, but it still works with the web??
mamabutton25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:04 AM   #25
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I think the thing that a person should always consider is "if a deal sounds too good to be true, it probably is." And anyone buying a Kindle on Craigslist should see the red flags going up even before they spend their money.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote