Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 10-03-2011, 08:15 AM   #31
RoyInVegas
RoyInVegas began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle_PC / calibre / Digital Editions
PeterT:

I'm an old computeristo, from the CP/M S-100 Buss days, when I wrote code in raw Hex because I couldn't speak Assembly Language. RTFM is well known to me.

However, if there's no valid/currently appropriate FM to be R-ed, what's the use of even R-ing the FM?

My hope is that I'll always use obsolete programs. The first thing I learned at the Valley Computer Club in 1978 was, "If it works, it's obsolete."

Also, there's this:

There are exactly 10 kinds of people in the world:

Those who know binary ... and those who don't.

rh
RoyInVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:43 PM   #32
RoyInVegas
RoyInVegas began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle_PC / calibre / Digital Editions
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
But there is a sidebar with a TOC.

It's on the right. It's just that it's not shown when you're looking at the contents page since that already is a TOC. But when you go to, say, the Epub Overview, you can see the sidebar TOC.
Nice advice.

Unfortunately clicking your link brings up a "404 NOT FOUND" message.

Actually, I can get 404s from any number of sources, and each one is as informative as its predecessors and its successors.

Is there something really juicy in this 404 that will help me with the "epub_overview?"
RoyInVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2011, 04:45 PM   #33
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyInVegas View Post
Nice advice.

Unfortunately clicking your link brings up a "404 NOT FOUND" message.

Actually, I can get 404s from any number of sources, and each one is as informative as its predecessors and its successors.

Is there something really juicy in this 404 that will help me with the "epub_overview?"
The link is http://web.sigil.googlecode.com/git/epub_overview.html . With 0.4 the manual moved.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:23 AM   #34
wa-totem
wa-totem began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Errm. Halp?

Sorry for showing my obvious noobishness, but I got my Kindle three days ago and Sigil two days ago, it's the 5.0 and even though I did read the documentation (marked as relevant for 4.1...), it doesn't help.

Eg. the search looks nowhere near the screenshots in git, it just opens under the code pane, there's no replace button (only "all"), no "More" button... I can only guess somewhere between 4.1 and 5.0 there were really major changes made... now, HOW do I get all those useful extra search options? And what in the name of all heavens became of the "replace" button?

Is there a newer version of git somewhere?
wa-totem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:02 AM   #35
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa-totem View Post
Eg. the search looks nowhere near the screenshots in git, it just opens under the code pane, there's no replace button (only "all"), no "More" button... I can only guess somewhere between 4.1 and 5.0 there were really major changes made... now, HOW do I get all those useful extra search options? And what in the name of all heavens became of the "replace" button?
In 0.5.0 the search pane is no longer undockable. Next to the find input there are two arrows one finds previous the other next. Next to the replace area there are buttons for the same actions but with replace instead of find.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2012, 10:04 AM   #36
wa-totem
wa-totem began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
In 0.5.0 the search pane is no longer undockable. Next to the find input there are two arrows one finds previous the other next. Next to the replace area there are buttons for the same actions but with replace instead of find.
Oh I see, so it's basically "Replace current and find previous" and "Replace current and find next", respectively, not truly "Replace previous" or "Replace next".

I can only surmise "Case sensitive" mode replaced the relevant toggle... and wildcard mode is gone? I just fiddled around RegEx mode and found it basically can do the same... but I feel it's more powerful than that. Any tips where to start reading if I wanted to learn more about using RegEx mode?
wa-totem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:15 AM   #37
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
In 5.0 there is something odd about the "Replace" function - I did a replace of "French" with "xyxyxy" in a book (using Replace Next) and sure enough it replaced the word, however it also deleted the remainder of the paragraph after "French".

There is also some confusing terminology - it appears that the "Replace Next" actually finds the next occurrence and only then pressing it again will replace the current occurrence and move on to locate the "Next". (I see the previous entry mentions this)

BobC

Last edited by BobC; 01-29-2012 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Posted before wa-totems comment seen.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:57 AM   #38
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
In 5.0 there is something odd about the "Replace" function - I did a replace of "French" with "xyxyxy" in a book (using Replace Next) and sure enough it replaced the word, however it also deleted the remainder of the paragraph after "French".
Yes. This happens in Book View. "Don't use Find & Replace in Book View" is the official fix for this, but yeah... even the simplest Find and Replace in BV will now replace the text you search for AND an arbitrary (seemingly) amount of text following it. Click "Undo" and you'll see what was really highlighted and replaced.

I'm OK with F&R being inconsistent and untrustworthy in BV, but its new, highly destructive tendencies are pretty unacceptable. There needs to be a warning in 0.5.0 that using "Replace" in Book View will eat large and unexpected portions of your ebook. Or just disable Replace in BV completely.

I'm using Windows Vista (32-bit) and have completely wiped out any and all vestiges of the previous Sigil install before installing 0.5.0. The same behavior is exhibited in all three F&R modes in BV.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-29-2012 at 11:46 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote