Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 10-23-2006, 09:47 PM   #1
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Did anyone read the EULA for their Reader?

No reverse engineering, no derivative works... blah blah blah.

If you violate the terms of this EULA Sony can require you to destroy all copies of the software.

Sounds like they're pretty hostile to anyone hacking the device.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 10:31 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Is that a standard set of clauses? Did the Librie' have similar clauses in its EULA? (I'm really asking, I don't have any idea ) They didn't seem to upset about the Librie' hacks....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2006, 10:58 PM   #3
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Chances are that kind of boilerplate is in all Sony hardware product EULAs.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 04:18 AM   #4
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Is that a standard set of clauses? Did the Librie' have similar clauses in its EULA? (I'm really asking, I don't have any idea ) They didn't seem to upset about the Librie' hacks....
If there was an EULA, it was in Japanese.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:23 AM   #5
scotty1024
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaping Gnome
Chances are that kind of boilerplate is in all Sony hardware product EULAs.
It's actually a very short, very simple EULA. It's on one of those pieces of paper you probably skipped when you unpacked your Reader.

Such EULA's have been found to be enforceable time after time in court.

It puts a new spin on what Sony could do if they decide enough is enough.
Advert
Old 10-24-2006, 04:51 AM   #6
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
Such EULA's have been found to be enforceable time after time in court.

Don't worry, probably only enforceable in the US. Oh, and how will they enforce it...? Come around and search you...?
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 04:51 AM   #7
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
And what would they do then? Vaporize your Sony Reader? There is nothing Sony could (and neither should) do about what we are doing right now. In fact we are helping them to spread the word about the Reader.

The issue would be different if someone tried and published a way to circumvent Sony's BBeB DRM (Kinoma) protection.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 11:23 AM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The BBeB's DRM is Marlin, and I'm sure they would be quite unhappy about anyone breaking it.

Maybe I can get a reaction to the hacking done around here when they're in Austin at the Book Festival this weekend.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:25 AM   #9
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Maybe I can get a reaction to the hacking done around here when they're in Austin at the Book Festival this weekend.
Nat, maybe you should refer to our activities as "extending the functionality of the Reader". Sounds a lot less threatening.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 11:29 AM   #10
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
The BBeB's DRM is Marlin, and I'm sure they would be quite unhappy about anyone breaking it.

If you get the chance, ask them when are they going to open prslabs.com and what will be up there. Would be nice if they published the whole FSK object model and tools to make your own plugins... well, a man can dream
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 12:00 PM   #11
gseryakov
Enthusiast
gseryakov began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk
If you get the chance, ask them when are they going to open prslabs.com ...
...or else we shall start igorsklabs.com!
gseryakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 12:45 PM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist

You guys rock!

I already had the impression from the SD thing that they're not particularly threatened by efforts aimed at, um, "extending the functionality of the Reader." They didn't say as much, but I don't think it was something they could have said no matter how they wanted to. There did seem to be recognition that the more the Reader can do, the better it looks to buyers, so I don't expect that they'll be too torqued about the whole thing.

Remember, they are probably as up on what's going on 'round here as I am, maybe more, since a lot of it goes swishing cleanly over my head.

I do think it's safe to say, however, that they'd be opposed to anything that would break the DRM, or prevent returning to the Factory OS, should the user wants to do that.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:17 PM   #13
gseryakov
Enthusiast
gseryakov began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
I do think it's safe to say, however, that they'd be opposed to anything that would break the DRM, or prevent returning to the Factory OS, should the user wants to do that.
I think if anybody "prevents returning to the Factory OS" it is SD itself because no official procedure of "returning to the Factory OS" is published.

DRM. I respect DRM. Let DRM respect me, my ownership rights on the reader and the books. If somebody (being inspired by his understanding of digital rights) prevented an owner of a reader and books on it to exercise the ownership rights
that prevention will be destroyed. Because of a big corporation is much much bigger then a men but smaller then a community.
gseryakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 01:22 PM   #14
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by gseryakov
DRM. I respect DRM. Let DRM respect me, my ownership rights on the reader and the books. If somebody (being inspired by his understanding of digital rights) prevented an owner of a reader and books on it to exercise the ownership rights
that prevention will be destroyed. Because of a big corporation is much much bigger then a men but smaller then a community.
Moreover, there is the argument of the xpdf guys: We respect fully DRM because, er, speaking of intellectual property rights, we expect you to respect fully GPL. Of course, the EULA violates GPL.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 01:31 PM   #15
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gseryakov
I think if anybody "prevents returning to the Factory OS" it is SD itself because no official procedure of "returning to the Factory OS" is published.
I think that's what the hard-reset instructions do ....

But you're correct in that they haven't widely published them.