Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-16-2009, 01:15 PM   #1
stoogeswoman
Zealot
stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: eBookwise 1150 and Kindle 1
Kindle screen issue, Customer Service very helpful

I haven't posted here for a while, mainly because I'm spending every free minute reading content on my Kindle 1!

Earlier this week I noticed a disturbance in the force - a horizontal white bar obscuring the text at the very top of the screen. I thought at first it was specific to just one book, but then noticed it was there all the time, even when it was turned off.

And it was getting bigger! And vertical lines were appearing too!

So this morning I phoned Amazon Customer Service and since it's still under one-year warranty, voila - they're sending me a replacement which should arrive tomorrow!

Both my husband and the Amazon tech guy think it has something to do with the screen driver (?) which means it's not really fixable. But it's nice to know their Customer Service is so responsive!
stoogeswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 01:24 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Amazon customer service does rock! Glad you helped so quickly.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2009, 12:23 PM   #3
havocthecat
havocthecat began at the beginning.

Device: kindle, palm
Whereas I'm having the same issue, but since I'm out of warranty, all they can offer me is $100 off a refurbished Kindle 1. They claim not even to be able to repair it. (A discount off an upgrade would be nice too, I have to say. Ugh.)
havocthecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:50 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by havocthecat View Post
Whereas I'm having the same issue, but since I'm out of warranty, all they can offer me is $100 off a refurbished Kindle 1. They claim not even to be able to repair it. (A discount off an upgrade would be nice too, I have to say. Ugh.)
Well, if the refurbished are still selling for $149, I'd say that was a pretty good deal! You do realize these refurbished are like new, carry the full year warranty, and come boxed shrink wrapped in original neat 'book boxes'?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:53 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoogeswoman View Post
Both my husband and the Amazon tech guy think it has something to do with the screen driver (?) which means it's not really fixable. But it's nice to know their Customer Service is so responsive!
It's the screen controller - the electronics that turn all the little eInk capsules on and off. Horizontal and/or vertical lines appearing on the screen are a sure sign of a controller fault.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert