Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-09-2009, 08:01 AM   #1
Zero9
Zealot
Zero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Touch
Need Advice About International Shipping on eBay Auction

I'm selling my PRS-505 on eBay, and someone contacted me asking if I'd be willing to ship to Spain (from the US where I live). I've never shipped anything Internationally before. so could anyone offer me advice before I agree to offer shipping to Spain?

Is there a best carrier for US to Spain (USPS vs Fedex, etc)? The USPS calculator told me roughly $15, and the Fedex one told me over $60, so maybe I'm doing something wrong.

What fees do I need to watch for (customs, VAT, etc)?

Thanks!
Zero9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:25 AM   #2
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
I'm in Canada, and I have received stuff from family in US, and they send it USPS cause it's cheaper and we're not in a hurry. With USPS, there's a little green sticker you have to fill out - takes two minutes, max. FedEx is faster, I think they take care of the paper work, and they give a tracking number. You pay the shipping to get it out of the US, and charge the buyer, then the buyer pays his country's VAT, customs, and any other charges his country imposes when it arrives. Oh, yes, insurance. You'll pay that, and charge for it, too. USPS may have limits on how much they cover; I'm pretty sure FedEx will sell you whatever you want to pay for. I would ask the buyer which service they prefer - they are paying for it, after all.
Notice that I haven't mentioned United Parcel Service - they charge the receiver very high brokerage fees, and I never buy from sellers who insist on UPS...
Hope this helps. I guess you'll need to do a bit more web work to get the details on insurance costs and tracking (USPS may have it for higher cost) and delivery times.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2009, 09:31 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You needn't worry about fees - they will be charged to the buyer, and are none of your concern. Posting something to Spain, as far as you, the poster, are concerned, is no different to posting it within the US.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:38 AM   #4
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I have shipped several things to Spain and found the most reliable carrier to be UPS. 2 of 3 items via USPS did not arrive, 1 of 5 via FedEx was lost, and all 7 of UPS arrived on time. Your mileage may vary.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:59 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The normal postal service is reliable PROVIDED that you ship by a method which requires a signature upon delivery. Never, ever, ship with a "non-signed-for" method.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2009, 10:06 AM   #6
Zero9
Zealot
Zero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Touch
Thanks for the great information, everybody!
Zero9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:25 PM   #7
DanT
Connoisseur
DanT will become famous soon enoughDanT will become famous soon enoughDanT will become famous soon enoughDanT will become famous soon enoughDanT will become famous soon enoughDanT will become famous soon enoughDanT will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo
I tend to avoid UPS standard to Canada (where I live) because they charge the receiver outrageous brokerage fees. If you use UPS standard, the receiver might receive unexpected brokerage fees and be pissed off. I prefer USPS. Less fees on reception of the package.
DanT is offline   Reply With Quote