Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-29-2012, 06:05 PM   #121
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
As an information junkie I was always interested in the magic of (Internet) information.

My first ebook reader was an Irex Iliad in 2006 for a buck load of money. I think it was around 600 Euro. My friends thought I was crazy (spoiler alert: the same guys bought iPhones later ^^).

I did and do own a lot of paper based books. After I had to move I had backpain from all the "paper kicking".

The idea to have the 'world's information' on a small readable device is still very appealing to me. It will bring the dream of free (or at least cheap) information to everyone who seeks it.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:08 PM   #122
jabberwock_11
Addict
jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Aluratek Libre Pro
The medical reference books I am referring to are true reference books, lots of chemical compounds, study results, dosing tables, insertion and origin points, etc. books that are nearly a thousand pages with zero pictures. Medical books with lots of illustrations are mostly student books and not used on a daily basis. There are a few exceptions like the PDR which has photos of the drugs for visual comparison, but those are the exceptions.
jabberwock_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2012, 07:58 PM   #123
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberwock_11 View Post
The medical reference books I am referring to are true reference books, lots of chemical compounds, study results, dosing tables, insertion and origin points, etc. books that are nearly a thousand pages with zero pictures. Medical books with lots of illustrations are mostly student books and not used on a daily basis. There are a few exceptions like the PDR which has photos of the drugs for visual comparison, but those are the exceptions.
That would be even easier with an ebook. You can cross reference throughout the entire book with a simple search. You can add notes to the reference, add the reference to your notes, or a separate "chapter" that you create, and access it quickly and easily for a particular project or patient. If you do need to add an image, video or webpage, you can add that to that specific file, and make it searchable by using, "Search book and My notes."

At first it will seem weird, and awkward to use digital search instead of the appendix, but once you get used to it, it's easier and faster.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:20 AM   #124
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Simply put, they got down to a price that I was comfortable paying.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:51 AM   #125
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I think the main reason was that I liked the idea of being able to carry arround hundreds even thousands of books with me in a single device. I've always loved books and reading but when you buy physical books you have to be conservative because they take up space. Now I can buy books until my hearts content and store them for future use. It doesn't really matter if it take me years to get round to reading something, whereas as I couldn't go on collecting physical books indefinitley.

ebooks are also much easier to organise and locate than physical books. Easier to search within books and across books, easier to annotate and keep track of those annotations. ebooks are also more comfortable to read than physical books. They all have a uniform weight, do not have to hold the books open, you can change the text size, font etc. Making the reading experience more comfortable. They are just an all round more efficient and comfortable experience of reading books.

I've always been open to the idea of reading on portable electrical devices. I started with an old PDA back in 2003. I've also tried with various phones over the years. The only thing that held me back getting a dedicated device was the lack of content and availability in the UK. The first ereader I bought was a Sony PRS 300. I would have had a kindle when they first came out if they had been available in the UK.

Last edited by shanghaichica; 09-30-2012 at 05:03 AM.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2012, 11:38 AM   #126
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I bought an ereader because I hadn't been able to read novels in more than 10 years due to eye damage. Large type books didn't help because it didn't address my specific vision problem (ghosting around letters). Now, I can adjust type size and font to get the right spacing and contrast to read comfortably.

Honestly, after only a DAY of use, I regret not having bought one the same year they came out. I've had my Kindle keyboard for 2 years now. The main disadvantage I see to using an ereader vs. buying a paperback is that it is harder to flip back pages to reread something (i.e. in a mystery). The second disadvantage is that you can't resell your 'used' ebook. On the plus side, it's way easier for me to share my library with family members, something that wasn't easy to do in the past. Also, cookng from an ereader - not so good.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:30 AM   #127
SisterEowyn
SisterEowyn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (K4B)
I purchased my first e-reader because I had been seeing them occasionally and not only had I become very interested in the technology behind them, but I was in love with the ability to carry hundreds - or even thousands - of books with me, wherever I went. This was only consolidated when I learned about public domain books. I had been running out of space for paper books for a long time prior to purchasing the ereader, and it was causing me to become disenchanted enough to not want to spend my time reading.
SisterEowyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:09 AM   #128
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
At the time I bought my first e-reader, I had just finished spending a lot of money on paperback versions of many of the classics (often, in september, they go down in price for 'back to school' student reads). When I discovered that 1000% of what I had been so carefully budgeting for, was available for free and I saw a friend on the bus with an e-reader, I stopped hesitating.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:41 AM   #129
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I downloaded 20,000 books from Project Gutenberg. They take up just a few gigabytes on my hard drive. It just makes me feel confortable to have them available on my computer rather than on someone else's server.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:25 PM   #130
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
I downloaded 20,000 books from Project Gutenberg. They take up just a few gigabytes on my hard drive. It just makes me feel confortable to have them available on my computer rather than on someone else's server.
Plus you never know when Disney is going to get the government to extend the copyright again and bring some of those works back under copyright...
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:53 PM   #131
Lsantiago7859
Enthusiast
Lsantiago7859 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLsantiago7859 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLsantiago7859 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLsantiago7859 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLsantiago7859 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLsantiago7859 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLsantiago7859 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLsantiago7859 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLsantiago7859 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLsantiago7859 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLsantiago7859 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Samsung 10.1 tablet, Nook HD+ and SONY PRS-T2
I LOVE MINE!

I started using a Sony reader in 2006 as a present to myself when I stopped smoking. I was hooked then. I am still putting books on them that I will read, whether today or tomorrow. When I had an accident which messed it up, I got a Nook Classic which I wound up giving to my son, now like me. I also gave my grandchildren one each. Children have to carry enough in their backpacks. I see that these have made reading much easier for them. I love both my Nook Color and Nook Simple Touch, which I got for different reasons. I will always have an ereader. I will never buy dead trees - I stopped then.
Lsantiago7859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:02 PM   #132
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I had just gotten back from vacation when someone clued me in about the kindle. I had packed 14 books (2 weeks), and it turned out I didn't feel like reading more than 5 of them. And, I like electronic gadgets.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:08 AM   #133
CarolineNH
Expert napper
CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Pro, Kindle Fire 10
I started reading on e-readers because of the difficulty of propping a book open to read hands-free. I frequently read while knitting or spinning yarn (and occasionally on fitness equipment at the gym). My best book-holding find has been a "Pageminder" (no affiliation), but with that you still have to put the knitting or wool down, grab the book and manipulate page and Pageminder to read the next page. My first e-reader was a Sony PRS-650, and I loved the ease of turning pages (but not the glare). I migrated to Kindles with the advent of the e-ink Pearl screen, and passed the Sony on to my oldest boy. I now have Kindle apps on all my electronic devices. I do still occasionally read paper books, but find the manipulation to prop and turn pages interrupts my reading far more than turning pages on my Paperwhite.
CarolineNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:39 AM   #134
maxiart
The Black-Hearted
maxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the husk

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Lets just say it was very uncomfortable to read on the computer
maxiart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:31 AM   #135
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsantiago7859 View Post
I started using a Sony reader in 2006 as a present to myself when I stopped smoking. I was hooked then.
Swapping one addiction for another? (At least the new one's a bit healthier.)
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote