Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-10-2012, 11:57 AM   #526
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@pirl8/ixtab: It's probably easier/neater to implement as a Calibre patch plugged into the conversion/preprocess stage than as a plugin.
Yep. I've also verified that the Kindle search system isn't affected by those ­

Conceptually it shouldn't be hard and almost everything should be already there. There's surely a way to navigate through the XHTML tree and the hyphenating algorithm is already in Calibre (it should also on google code). Unfortunately my programming skills in Python are zero...
pirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:11 PM   #527
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@pirl8: I can't promise anything, but I'll see what I can do... Keep in mind that it will be 'dumb' hyphenation by design, since we can't know the screen layout at conversion time. Every possible hyphenation point will be done, which might not be as pleasing as expected...

EDIT: Or be less aggressive and hardcode/add a setting to try to keep at least 40% of the word unhyphenated or something like that, in the same vein as ixtab's latest update... (It's doable, since I went with pyhyphen, on the belief that since it's using the same backend as Mozilla/OOo/LibreOffice, it's at least somewhat under use and tested... And now that I nearly went mad at its crappy distutils setup script, I'm keeping it! ).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-10-2012 at 04:39 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2012, 08:04 PM   #528
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@pirl8: I can't promise anything, but I'll see what I can do...
It would be GREAT! Thanks in any case!

Quote:
Keep in mind that it will be 'dumb' hyphenation by design, since we can't know the screen layout at conversion time. Every possible hyphenation point will be done, which might not be as pleasing as expected...
EDIT: Or be less aggressive and hardcode/add a setting to try to keep at least 40% of the word unhyphenated or something like that, in the same vein as ixtab's latest update...
I think that a rude customizable minimal prefix/suffix length (in characters) would be definitely enough (and maybe more useful than a percentage).

P.S.

I tried a brute force attempt with a section of a book to see the result and I have to say that with ­ it's much better than without, expecially with a large font and floating images, but it's obviously wrong to generalize.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:05 AM   #529
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Hi guys!

I'm using jbpatch for some days and it is a very good improvement over plain vanilla Amazon stuff, mostly hyphenation and alignment correction. Thank you a lot Ixtab.

I think a great improvement could be a patch to select a font (I know there is a font hack to change Kindle font, but not a selectable one by menu).

Another improvement could be change interline from 70% to 200% or so.

And the ultimate improvement, ability to have two columns.

I know those can be very difficult things to implement (mainly third and then first ones) but then Kindle Framework will be the best reading app ever done.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:31 AM   #530
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever
techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch hacked
@rfrog if I understood you correct then you don't want to replace the system fonts but want to have an extra font in the font selection box.create a file in the root if you are connected normally or in /mnt/us if you are connected through usbnetwork or ssh.the file should be empty,shouldn't have an extension and should be named USE_ALT_FONTS.put your fonts directly in the folder fonts I.e don't put the fonts in a folder in the folder fonts.then type ;fc-cache in the search bar and press enter. Wait for 10 minutes till the framework restarts.then go to a book,press aa button and there you have your extra fonts other than serif,condensed and sans serif.
Note:don't use fonts that you have initialized in fonthack.the kindle can display upto 3 system fonts and 6 user fonts.for one font there have to be four variations,like regular,italic,bold and bold italic.it won't work if you make 4 copies of the same font and rename them acccordingly.if you don't put 6 of your own fonts then there will still be some fonts that you didn't put.these are fonts that amazon put but hadn't implemented before this hack.and finally,the fonts have to be named starting from only A,b,c,d,e,f or g.if you want to use fonts that don't start from either of these letters then simpley renaming them won't do.you have to manually change The embedded font name using a font editor.
techiemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2012, 03:35 AM   #531
gk31
gk31 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone / iPad/ Kindle
I don't know what is it about jbpatch 2.2.1- but it seems to constantly freeze/almost brick my k5 on 5.1.2 fw. this is with 1.2 jailbreak, most recent kindlet (from ixtabs ge source) and remove ads add-on installed. I managed to debrick it, but barely. This is with kernel 5.1.2 flash, diags and re copying the main partition through putty. Will have to go with no jbpatch and extensions for now i guess :'(
gk31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:37 AM   #532
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Does leaving the ads enabled make a difference?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:24 AM   #533
pirl8
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk31 View Post
I don't know what is it about jbpatch 2.2.1- but it seems to constantly freeze/almost brick my k5 on 5.1.2 fw. this is with 1.2 jailbreak, most recent kindlet (from ixtabs ge source) and remove ads add-on installed.(
I've a similar setup except for the "remove ads" and jbpatch works really like a charm (in at least two kindles: mine which was jaibreaked a long time ago - but i don't think this could make a difference - and a friend's one with identical setup as yours). Maybe it's just a little slower in turning pages, but it's likely just a personal feeling.

As you've been suggested, you may try without the "remove ads" add-on. You may also try to restart with the plain 2.2.1 jbpatch (do not get kindlet from sources) with everything disabled and turn on the add-ons one by one.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:01 AM   #534
gk31

well, now my device is totally bricked. being a n00b, i made no backup. i followed the unbricking for k5 for n00bs instructions to a T. unbricking it worked twice, but now it won't get out of diagnostic mode. won't get to the tree screen even. getting it to a fastboot mode is a hassle. i am frantically trying to restore it to 5.0.0
managed to flash kernel, diags 5.0.0, and main 5.0.1, but no luck getting it to the sart screen after the whole proccess. sometimes the device even zeroes out the usb connection to the pc in the middle of a fastboot flash. is there a way to totally wipe the kindle partition and restore the whole partition to a default setting somehow? maybe writing down the device mac address and serial, then inserting it manually after managing to restore it to a blank slate basically. if someone can PM and guide me a bit, it would be appreciated. i have no programming skills, but am good on following orders.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:05 AM   #535
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gk31 View Post
i am frantically trying to restore it to 5.0.0
managed to flash kernel, diags 5.0.0, and main 5.0.1, but no luck getting it to the sart screen after the whole proccess.
. . . .
i have no programming skills, but am good on following orders.
If you did do as you write you did above . . .

Then there should be two mentions of: "flash kernel".
There is a kernel for the diags partition and a kernel for the main partition.
They are not the same, they each have a specific configuration to match their purpose.

Re-check your work and post details if you don't spot where things went wrong.
Use one of the existing de-bricking threads to continue troubleshooting this problem.

Last edited by knc1; 08-14-2012 at 08:43 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:16 AM   #536
pdo
pdo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Book covers not shown,

Hey there, need some support.
I applied the patch according the installation routine and now I can change from list view to cover view

but, I do not see any real book cover shown in the cover view it is always the amazon screen saver cover shown with the book title inside.
What do I need to do to have real book covers shown in cover view?

thanks and I hope I was able to explain my problem (I'm from germany, so please apologize any mistakes in english language)

thanks again
pdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:15 AM   #537
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever
techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch hacked
@pdo that is a bug in the amazon firmware, to enable the book covers for those books provided they dont have drm convert them to mobi again in calibre and enable facebook sharing in mobi output box and click convert. Send the new converted book to the kindle and there you have your covers.
techiemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:46 AM   #538
gk31

Hey all, i posted the whole saga here. I'm pretty sure it wasn't the Jbpatch that actually bricked my device, and would like to apologize if it seemed I was blaming anyone for that. Would appreciate any help.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:48 AM   #539
pdo
pdo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by techiemonkey View Post
@pdo that is a bug in the amazon firmware, to enable the book covers for those books provided they dont have drm convert them to mobi again in calibre and enable facebook sharing in mobi output box and click convert. Send the new converted book to the kindle and there you have your covers.
this works, great - any idea how I can enable the facebook sharing as a standard and do not have to chose this option manually each time in calibre?
pdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:10 AM   #540
Ilogis
Enthusiast
Ilogis began at the beginning.

Device: none
Preferences -> Output options -> Mobi output
Ilogis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jbpatch, kindle touch hacks