Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 03:41 PM   #31
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
For me it would be, yes. Voltaire is supposed to have said (but actually didn't) "I disagree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it". It's the right to say unpopular things that need defending; if you're saying "I'm going to punish you for what you say" then you're effectively suppressing the right to free speech, in my view.
I too would defend his right to hold and express his views, but that doesn't require me to buy his produce. Freedom of expression doesn't come for free does it?
Old 09-08-2011, 03:43 PM   #32
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
A troll ? hmm ... prejudice to others' opinions, interesting. I rest my case

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
I shall assume you are a troll, because if you are not you are disgusting.
Advert
Old 09-08-2011, 03:44 PM   #33
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I too would defend his right to hold and express his views, but that doesn't require me to buy his produce. Freedom of expression doesn't come for free does it?
Agreed, and I would engage my candlestick maker in dialogue to try to persuade him to change his views. But i'd judge his business on the quality of his candlesticks.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:46 PM   #34
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
What if his candlesticks had bigoted ideas printed on them?
Old 09-08-2011, 03:47 PM   #35
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
it's 2011 time to drop the candlestick maker reference :P
Advert
Old 09-08-2011, 03:48 PM   #36
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post

burn them!
Old 09-08-2011, 03:48 PM   #37
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Agreed. Card or anyone else has the right to express their views without fear of reprisal from the government. However, consumers have the right to speak with their wallets and can choose to buy things or not from anyone they choose.

For me, I won't see a George Clooney film, listen to The Dixie Chicks or Howard Stern. I do this because of the political and social views that they have publicly spoke about.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:51 PM   #38
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
it's 2011 time to drop the candlestick maker reference :P
I live in Denmark, we spend more on candles than we do on food - it's all to do with hygge
Old 09-08-2011, 03:52 PM   #39
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Then I wouldn't buy those particular candlesticks, just as I wouldn't buy a book that expressed views that I disagreed with - that's why I've stopped buying John Ringo's recent books: not for his views ( which I strongly disagree with) but because he expresses those views in his books.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:53 PM   #40
Ron.
Evangelist

Quote:
I live in Denmark, we spend more on candles than we do on food - it's all to do with hygge
learn something new everyday
Old 09-08-2011, 03:55 PM   #41
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I meant in general. Everywhere I turn my head to is gays are great, gays are the new standard, gays are the future and so on.
Again, what they do in the privacy of their home is their business and just as everyone else they should have their place in society and if they have a job that they are good at, only an idiot would fire them cause of their sexual preference.
But a man that gets into a man, how is that not going against nature ? What role in nature does homosexuality have ?
Now if they want to marry, they have my blessing as the idea behind marriage is finding happiness and not following some silly religious rules that have not much reason to be in our modern societies. But men are not supposed to do it with other men in nature's design I mean. Period.

Quote:
There's a huge difference between not loving them and vilifying them.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:57 PM   #42
Ron.
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
I meant in general. Everywhere I turn my head to is gays are great, gays are the new standard, gays are the future and so on.
Again, what they do in the privacy of their home is their business and just as everyone else they should have their place in society and if they have a job that they are good at, only an idiot would fire them cause of their sexual preference.
But a man that gets into a man, how is that not going against nature ? What role in nature does homosexuality have ?
Now if they want to marry, they have my blessing as the idea behind marriage is finding happiness and not following some silly religious rules that have not much reason to be in our modern societies. But men are not supposed to do it with other men in nature's design I mean. Period.

tell that to my dog who will hump anything he can..
Old 09-08-2011, 03:58 PM   #43
RichL
Evangelist
RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: back to x51v
Quote:
No, I'm saying that talking about financially punishing Mr. Card for what he THINKS is basically saying that he's guilty of "thought crime". Ie, "he doesn't believe the same things that I do I'm not going to buy his books". I find that troubling.
Mr. Card has, and preaches three beliefs which I actively fight against. There is no way on earth I would ever donate to an organization espousing any of his beliefs so why in the world would I support him by buying his books?
Old 09-08-2011, 04:01 PM   #44
Quexos
Member Retired

Then your dog is omnisexual and by humping everything I guess that sooner or later he'll hump a female dog thus getting back with nature's plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
tell that to my dog who will hump anything he can..
Old 09-08-2011, 04:02 PM   #45
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Then I wouldn't buy those particular candlesticks, just as I wouldn't buy a book that expressed views that I disagreed with - that's why I've stopped buying John Ringo's recent books: not for his views ( which I strongly disagree with) but because he expresses those views in his books.
Perfect. From what I understand... this is exactly what has happened with Hamlet's Father:

Hamlet's father is evil. He is evil because he is gay. And because he is evilly gay, he's also a pedophile who is corrupting other young boys by turning them gay.

If the reviews and several famous authors are to be believed, these things are downright overt in Hamlet's Father.
Closed Thread