Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 02-26-2012, 04:20 AM   #91
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Thanks for that. I have compared the html and even loaded it directly within the plugin and it is fine.

I think you just said the magic words - linux. My bet is that you have some sort of library conflict/issue with calibre, presumably related somehow to the lxml stuff. Clearly you are the only user having a problem in these forums, and I have verified the plugin is doing what it should. I know very little about linux (not a fan of it). All I know from past posts is to make sure you don't use the version of Calibre that comes in the Ubuntu package and install it in a particular way, I am sure others can help.

Perhaps Kovid may have other ideas, try opening a new thread elsewhere if he doesn't respond here once you have exhausted the official installation routes.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:52 AM   #92
razorsoup
Enthusiast
razorsoup began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
FWIW, the Goodreads metadata plugin isn't working for me either. It only downloads metadata if I manually enter a Goodreads ID for a book, it does not work when searching on author/title.

I am on Windows XP SP3 / Calibre 0.8.41

Error I am getting is below:
Code:
calibre, version 0.8.41
ERROR: No matches found: <p>Failed to find any books that match your search. Try making the search <b>less specific</b>. For example, use only the author's last name and a single distinctive word from the title.<p>To see the full log, click Show Details.

Starting download 
Query: title:The Lightning Thief; authors:Rick Riordan 
Running identify query with parameters: 
{u'authors': [u'Rick Riordan'], u'identifiers': {}, u'timeout': 30, u'title': u'The Lightning Thief'} 
Using plugins: Goodreads 
The log from individual plugins is below 

****************************** Goodreads ****************************** 
Request extra headers: [('User-agent', 'Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; rv:2.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0.1')] 
Found 0 results 
Downloading from Goodreads took 1.49199986458 
Querying: http://www.goodreads.com/search?search_type=books&search[query]=The+Lightning+Thief+Rick+Riordan
Examining up to 82 editions: http://www.goodreads.com/work/editions/3346751
No matches found with query: u'http://www.goodreads.com/search?search_type=books&search[query]=The+Lightning+Thief+Rick+Riordan' 

******************************************************************************** 
The identify phase took 1.65 seconds 
The longest time (1.492000) was taken by: Goodreads 
Merging results from different sources and finding earliest publication dates from the xisbn service 
We have 0 merged results, merging took: 0.00 seconds
razorsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2012, 02:38 PM   #93
kiwidude
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@razorsoup - don't know what to suggest as it works fine for me. Maybe the Goodreads site was having an issue at the time.
Spoiler:

Code:
Starting download 
{u'authors': [u'Rick Riordan'], u'identifiers': {}, u'timeout': 30, u'title': u'The Lightning Thief'} 

Request extra headers: [('User-agent', 'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.5 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/4.0.249.78 Safari/532.5')] 
Found 1 results 
Downloading from Goodreads took 2.99699997902 

--- 
Title               : The Lightning Thief
Author(s)           : Rick Riordan
Publisher           : Miramax
Tags                : Fantasy, YA, Adventure, Childrens, Science Fiction
Series              : Percy Jackson and the Olympians #1
Rating              : 4.13
Published           : 2005-06-01T00:00:00+00:00
Identifiers         : isbn:9780786838653, goodreads:28187
Comments            : <p>In this stunning collectors' edition of The Lightning Thief, Percy Jackson's world is brought to life with eight full-color plates by the series jacket artist John Rocco. The edition comes in an elegant slipcase with a ribbon bookmark, rough edges, and cloth cover--a perfect keepsake for fans of this truly epic series. After getting expelled from yet another school for yet another clash with mythological monsters only he can see, twelve-year-old Percy Jackson is taken to Camp Half-Blood, where he finally learns the truth about his unique abilities: He is a demigod, half human, half immortal. Even more stunning: His father is the Greek god Poseidon, ruler of the sea, making Percy one of the most powerful demigods alive. There's little time to process this news. All too soon, a cryptic prophecy from the Oracle sends Percy on his first quest, a mission to the Underworld to prevent a war among the gods of Olympus. This first installment of Rick Riordan's best-selling series is a non-stop thrill-ride and a classic of mythic proportions.</p> 
Querying: http://www.goodreads.com/search?search_type=books&search[query]=The+Lightning+Thief+Rick+Riordan
Goodreads book url: u'http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28187.The_Lightning_Thief' 

******************************************************************************** 
The identify phase took 3.00 seconds 
The longest time (2.997000) was taken by: Goodreads 
Merging results from different sources and finding earliest publication dates from the xisbn service 
We have 1 merged results, merging took: 0.46 seconds
Old 03-02-2012, 06:12 PM   #94
razorsoup
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@razorsoup - don't know what to suggest as it works fine for me. Maybe the Goodreads site was having an issue at the time.
Spoiler:

Code:
Starting download 

Request extra headers: [('User-agent', 'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.5 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/4.0.249.78 Safari/532.5')] 
Found 1 results 
Downloading from Goodreads took 2.99699997902 

--- 
Title               : The Lightning Thief
Author(s)           : Rick Riordan
Publisher           : Miramax
Tags                : Fantasy, YA, Adventure, Childrens, Science Fiction
Series              : Percy Jackson and the Olympians #1
Rating              : 4.13
Published           : 2005-06-01T00:00:00+00:00
Identifiers         : isbn:9780786838653, goodreads:28187
Comments            : <p>In this stunning collectors' edition of The Lightning Thief, Percy Jackson's world is brought to life with eight full-color plates by the series jacket artist John Rocco. The edition comes in an elegant slipcase with a ribbon bookmark, rough edges, and cloth cover--a perfect keepsake for fans of this truly epic series. After getting expelled from yet another school for yet another clash with mythological monsters only he can see, twelve-year-old Percy Jackson is taken to Camp Half-Blood, where he finally learns the truth about his unique abilities: He is a demigod, half human, half immortal. Even more stunning: His father is the Greek god Poseidon, ruler of the sea, making Percy one of the most powerful demigods alive. There's little time to process this news. All too soon, a cryptic prophecy from the Oracle sends Percy on his first quest, a mission to the Underworld to prevent a war among the gods of Olympus. This first installment of Rick Riordan's best-selling series is a non-stop thrill-ride and a classic of mythic proportions.</p> 
Goodreads book url: u'http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28187.The_Lightning_Thief' 

The identify phase took 3.00 seconds 
The longest time (2.997000) was taken by: Goodreads 
We have 1 merged results, merging took: 0.46 seconds
I've actually been having this problem for a while now. Amazon, Google, and B&N all work correctly but Goodreads won't find a book based on only title & author.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:08 AM   #95
kiwidude

Looking at your log again I can see the problem. Turn off the "Scan multiple editions for title/author searches" in the options for this plugin. That feature has likely been broken for a little while since the last Goodreads website change. I will push a new release later which should fix it but that should at least get you downloading metadata in the meantime.
Advert
Old 03-03-2012, 08:04 AM   #96
kiwidude

v1.1.0 Released

Changes in this release:
  • Fix the "Scan multiple editions for title/author searches" option broken from Goodreads website change
@razorsoup - that should allow you to keep that option turned on. Thanks for reporting the issue.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:42 AM   #97
razorsoup
Enthusiast

I just installed the update and re-enabled that option. So far it seems to be working for me. Thanks for the quick fix.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:44 PM   #98
ursalina
ursalina began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Sounds great, but couldn't find it attached

Would love to page numbers on my work.
Couldn't find your attachnent, though.
Also, would you happen to know how to
keep convertors from just converting the
title page of my pubit document and nothing else?

Thanks.
ursalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:45 PM   #99
kiwidude

@ursalina - by chance is English not your first language? Or was your post mangled by typing on a device with auto-correction? As I'm afraid I don't understand much of what you are asking for.

All plugins are located in the very first post of each thread. You can far more easily install directly from calibre, using Preferences -> Plugins -> Get new plugins.

Any questions about conversions you should post in the conversions subforum of the MobileRead website, as they are not related to this plugin, post some more details in your question there and am sure someone will try to help you..
Old 05-21-2012, 09:00 PM   #100
log163
log163 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
goodreads genre to genre

i was wondering if it is possible to tell calibre to dump the information from this plugin to a different column like a custom genre column.
log163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:43 AM   #101
kiwidude

@log163 - no that is not currently possible, due to a limitation in calibre. There is no support for custom columns for use by metadata plugins. There is a discussion thread here in the development forums, no progress has been made on it since then I am aware of.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:23 AM   #102
zambucco
zambucco began at the beginning.

Device: Aldiko
literary awards

is it possible to include a search in the literary awards field?

I would like to find out if a book has won any awards. I could then include this as a tag or even incorporate it into a column.
zambucco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:42 AM   #103
kiwidude

@zambucco - welcome to MobileRead.

No this is not yet possible, for the reason state in the post just above yours.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:54 PM   #104
rmagere
rmagere began at the beginning.

Device: Android Phone, Android Tablet, iPhone, Kindle PW 1st gen
I have a number of books in foreign languages (e.g. French, Spanish, Italian) that are translation of english books that can be found on Goodreads (the foreign versions can be found).

However when I download the metadata I get no tag information (although the same book on goodreads in English have genre information).

Is there any way to obtain such information without artificially linking the books to the english editions?
rmagere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:15 PM   #105
kiwidude

@rmagere - the plugin picks an edition from those available from goodreads and then uses whatever tag mappings you have setup to reconcile with the shelves your edition is on. If that edition is not on any "genre" shelves in your tag mappings, there is absolutely nothing the plugin can do about it. I suggest you become a Goodreads librarian (or make requests in their library forums) to get your books catalogued correctly.

If I am misunderstanding you please post some specific examples linking to the english/foreign language editions. However I am not expecting there to be anything the plugin can do about it.

Tags
goodreads, metadata