Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-07-2010, 04:46 PM   #1
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Where to buy ebooks for my Kobo?

Of course, I know I can buy books from the Kobo website - done that already. Also borrowed some library books. But...what if I cannot find a book that I want to buy? Are there any other online stores that offer ebooks for sale in ePub format? I've heard Sony has a site, but not sure if some sort of conversion would be necessary?

Also, I've been reading some info on geo-restrictions for certain books...not sure how that works if you download books in the proper format, but from a website from a different country. Can anyone explain that?
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 04:51 PM   #2
Monique
Monique is a jewel in the roughMonique is a jewel in the roughMonique is a jewel in the roughMonique is a jewel in the roughMonique is a jewel in the roughMonique is a jewel in the roughMonique is a jewel in the roughMonique is a jewel in the roughMonique is a jewel in the roughMonique is a jewel in the roughMonique is a jewel in the rough

Device: none
There are other sites that sell ePubs. Two off the top of my head are:

http://www.diesel-ebooks.com/

http://www.smashwords.com/

As to the geo-restrictions... I think the site knows where you are from and keeps you from purchasing a book that's being restricted in your area/country. For instance, if I can't download the ebook versions of some of David Eddings' books, but people in the UK can. It is of the stinky.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable on both points will chime in soon.
Monique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 04:53 PM   #3
p_a_smith
Me, Myself, but not I
p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Acer 200, Asus FHD, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokee View Post
Also, I've been reading some info on geo-restrictions for certain books...not sure how that works if you download books in the proper format, but from a website from a different country. Can anyone explain that?
Geo-restrictions have to do with whether the seller has the rights to sell the books to your country. The internet connection that you use to surf the web is easily identified geographically and many sites use that to determine if they can sell books to you (others use your account mailing address and/or credit card number it depends on the site).

So the answer as to where you can buy ebooks depends on where you live.

The exception seems to be when you can buy directly from a publisher. Monique has listed some and I have bought a number from Baen Books (www.webscriptions.net) and they don't seem to care where I live...

Last edited by p_a_smith; 11-07-2010 at 04:56 PM. Reason: added a publisher link
p_a_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:35 AM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Sony ePUBs work just fine. They use the same DRM--Adobe Digital Editions. Books bought through Sony are stored (Windows) in the My Reader directory in My Documents. You can import them into ADE or Calibre from there and sideload them onto your Kobo.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:35 AM   #5
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
You can use Sony's ePubs fine. You have to use Adobe Digital Editions as they have ADE DRM. I also use my library's Overdrive ePubs and PDFs. B&N seems to have a proprietary DRM so you probably can't use Nook-formatted books. (I can't test with free ebooks because the download doesn't work in Canada).

I've also bought ePubs from FictionWise and downloaded some free stuff that was not DRMed from misc sources.

BTW, if you are not doing so already, it's a good idea to download your Kobo books in ePub format as backup. You will need Adobe Digital Editions. For each book, click the button to download ePub, which actually dowloads a small .acsm file. Double click on the .acsm file and it will download the actual ePub and open in ADE. You don't need to load it on your Kobo, but now you have that file on your computer and not just your Kobo.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:33 AM   #6
stodge
Groupie
stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacmart View Post
You can use Sony's ePubs fine. You have to use Adobe Digital Editions as they have ADE DRM. I also use my library's Overdrive ePubs and PDFs. B&N seems to have a proprietary DRM so you probably can't use Nook-formatted books. (I can't test with free ebooks because the download doesn't work in Canada).

I've also bought ePubs from FictionWise and downloaded some free stuff that was not DRMed from misc sources.

BTW, if you are not doing so already, it's a good idea to download your Kobo books in ePub format as backup. You will need Adobe Digital Editions. For each book, click the button to download ePub, which actually dowloads a small .acsm file. Double click on the .acsm file and it will download the actual ePub and open in ADE. You don't need to load it on your Kobo, but now you have that file on your computer and not just your Kobo.
Ah now I understand! Thanks for the explanation of the acsm files.
stodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:24 PM   #7
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Quote:

This is GREAT information - thanks so much!

I am not really too informed on what I can do with these books after I buy them. Once I have saved them on my PC, can I share them with my friends - or only another family member that can synch their ereader to my PC?

Last edited by pokee; 11-08-2010 at 04:31 PM.
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:59 PM   #8
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

DRM exists to insure that the only people who can read the books are the people who have purchased them. In my household, my husband and I buy using the same account and use the same ADE account as well. We have no problem reading and sharing books on our two separate readers.

The problems begin when you send a DRM ePUB to someone who is not sharing the same encryption because they have books loaded with their own account and their own ADE scheme happening. Only one ADE DRM at a time can be active on a reader--the other books will be locked and unreadable. You may be able to load two accounts using Calibre, but having them readable, not so much.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:22 AM   #9
LivelyWriter
Dead Barchetta
LivelyWriter began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Reader, Kindle
Here are a few stores I like:

http://www.omnilit.com

http://www.bookstrand.com

You can find non-DRM titles at both. OmniLit is especially good since they have a reader rewards programs. They also have a romance store - http://www.allromance.com

Kathryn Lively - author of Dead Barchetta
http://www.deadbarchetta.com

It's a long, strange trip.... Only $2.99 in eBook!
LivelyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:15 PM   #10
razmichael
razmichael doesn't litterrazmichael doesn't litter

Device: Kobo WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
DRM exists to insure that the only people who can read the books are the people who have purchased them. In my household, my husband and I buy using the same account and use the same ADE account as well. We have no problem reading and sharing books on our two separate readers.
We use two Kobo accounts but one ADE account - the main advantage to this (besides the fact that my wife and I tend to read very different books) is that we can take advantage twice of one-time coupons. If we then want to share a book we do as you do - bring it into ADE.
razmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:00 PM   #11
La Coccinelle
Connoisseur
La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo (original)
The first e-book I ever bought (even before I had my Kobo) was from Dymocks in Australia. It was a PDF, and they didn't have a problem with selling it to me, even though I live in Canada. (And yes, it worked on my Kobo. Well, as well as a PDF can work on a Kobo.) I think it just depends on the publisher and bookseller.
La Coccinelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:37 AM   #12
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Quote:
Originally Posted by razmichael View Post
We use two Kobo accounts but one ADE account - the main advantage to this (besides the fact that my wife and I tend to read very different books) is that we can take advantage twice of one-time coupons. If we then want to share a book we do as you do - bring it into ADE.
My husband prefers to use kepub format and load books via sync. We read many of the same books, so one account lets him do his sync thing and I go the Calibre/ADE route. A Kobo can only sync with one Kobo account. If we had two accounts, he could only sync with one of them. Fortunately, there are multiple use coupons often enough that having only one account seems to work for us in that regard.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:43 PM   #13
HarryH
Enthusiast
HarryH began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Version 1 firmware v 1.8.3
[QUOTE=

BTW, if you are not doing so already, it's a good idea to download your Kobo books in ePub format as backup. You will need Adobe Digital Editions. For each book, click the button to download ePub, which actually dowloads a small .acsm file. Double click on the .acsm file and it will download the actual ePub and open in ADE. You don't need to load it on your Kobo, but now you have that file on your computer and not just your Kobo.[/QUOTE]

A good suggestion , but how do you get the .ascm files for books that you already have ???

Harry
HarryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:58 PM   #14
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryH View Post
A good suggestion , but how do you get the .ascm files for books that you already have ???Harry
Log in to kobobooks.com on your computer. Use the "LIBRARY" link to go to "My Bookmarked Items"; most books that you've purchased (or gotten free) will have a blue button "ADOBE DRM EPUB". Click on that to open the .acsm file in ADE.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:23 PM   #15
HarryH
Enthusiast
HarryH began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Version 1 firmware v 1.8.3
Quote:
Log in to kobobooks.com on your computer. Use the "LIBRARY" link to go to "My Bookmarked Items"; most books that you've purchased (or gotten free) will have a blue button "ADOBE DRM EPUB". Click on that to open the .acsm file in ADE.
thanks dmacmart... worked and I now have my books backed up.. I don't think much of ADE , not an easy program to work with ... Being able to change the color scheme would be a start , noticed the book covers were rendered in different graphics , not like they look in the Kobo desktop

Harry
HarryH is offline   Reply With Quote