Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 05-14-2013, 06:30 PM   #1
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Nook ST book organisation?

Having just got a Nook ST, as they're discounted in the UK at the moment, I'm interested to know if there's any support in Calibre or the ST for anything beyond copying books/series to an SD card in a directory tree structure and viewing them via "My Files"? (i.e. Author/Series/Title)

Specifically, other than the space available, is there any difference between using the onboard memory or an SD card? Is there a way to have side-loaded media sortable by Series, for instance? (I've not rooted it yet, as I don't need Kindle App support, which seems to be the main reason for doing so, but it'd not be out of the question, I suppose...)

For the moment, I've copied the books I want onto an SD card but not yet had a chance to experiment with Calibre onto it, so thought I'd ask in case anyone's got any suggestions.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:48 AM   #2
Joydeck
Joydeck began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I have my own rather elaborate, Windows Explorer based, folder structure on the SD Card. In the SD card root folder, sorted by File Name, I have created the folders: _Dictionaries, _Non Fiction, _Novelist, _Playwright, _Poet, and _University. I have several levels of folders below each of these.

Although this took some trouble to set up, the folder structure is now more or less unchanging. I don't think Calibre would give me the flexibility I want.

I have copied to Nook memory some frequently used folders, and I use Shelves for recently read, good books.

I have noticed that the Home Page and the book icon, in the top left-hand corner, don't track your current place in the book or your highlights and notes, if you open and read each book from Library. After rooting, the new directory explorer does seem to tie up with the Home Page and book icon. And, of course, I now have reliable access to Wikipedia and Google as I read.
Joydeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:05 AM   #3
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I've started loading books through Calibre onto an SD card for my Nook and I've discovered it loads books into author folders. I want them in generic folders by type and book name so I have created folders on the SD card as I want them, then i move the books out of the author folders into the generic folders and delete the author folders.

Its long winded but once its done its done. That way when I access the memory card on my Nook the generic folders show up the Books part of the memory card (not sure why it sets up Magazines/Newspapers etc folders) with the books inside.

I think the trick is to treat the SD card as a windows folder so arrange the books as you want them to be displayed on your PC.

Last edited by Josieb1; 05-15-2013 at 04:09 AM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:28 AM   #4
Joydeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
That way when I access the memory card on my Nook the generic folders show up the Books part of the memory card (not sure why it sets up Magazines/Newspapers etc folders) with the books inside.
As I said, I ignore the B&N My Files folder, and create my own with an underscore as the first character so that these six top-level folders occupy the first page of the screen. My Files is out of sight, out of mind on the second page with other rubbish I never look at!

Incidentally, if you delete the My Files folder, the Nook unfortunately reinstates it. Mine, of course, is forever empty.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:56 PM   #5
domani7
Enthusiast
domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: nook
I think I want to be able to recreate your method next time. If there's any steps missing, I want them. So you get an sd card, and you make your own folders with an underscore in front, and sort all your books into the folders. And then when you turn on the nook your folders are just there? Are they in "My files" or somewhere else? Is that it or am I missing anything?

Because if it works for me this is great. I LOVE the Nook physically I just hate having to manually organize the books into bookshelves one by one. This is the Nook's one fatal flaw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joydeck View Post
I have my own rather elaborate, Windows Explorer based, folder structure on the SD Card. In the SD card root folder, sorted by File Name, I have created the folders: _Dictionaries, _Non Fiction, _Novelist, _Playwright, _Poet, and _University. I have several levels of folders below each of these.

Although this took some trouble to set up, the folder structure is now more or less unchanging. I don't think Calibre would give me the flexibility I want.

I have copied to Nook memory some frequently used folders, and I use Shelves for recently read, good books.

I have noticed that the Home Page and the book icon, in the top left-hand corner, don't track your current place in the book or your highlights and notes, if you open and read each book from Library. After rooting, the new directory explorer does seem to tie up with the Home Page and book icon. And, of course, I now have reliable access to Wikipedia and Google as I read.
domani7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:08 PM   #6
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
A few thoughts, having played with it for a bit now...

While Calibre might by default put books in a particular folder structure, you have the option to configure that completely as you want it.

You can't get the shelves set up for you in the way you can have collections set on Sony devices.

Rooting is easy and gives a better Library app if all you use is My Files
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:05 AM   #7
Joydeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
Rooting is easy and gives a better Library app if all you use is My Files
Yes, but I value the many highlights I've already made. Neither the rooted library app, nor the B&N's Now Reading from the book icon or Home Page, will recognise my highlights! That's why I still use the B&N library app, at least, for the time being. And, yes, all I ever use is My Files and side-loaded books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by domani7 View Post
So you get an sd card, and you make your own folders with an underscore in front, and sort all your books into the folders. And then when you turn on the nook your folders are just there? Are they in "My files" or somewhere else?
Confusingly, the label My Files refers to two entities. Firstly, your two folder structures - one in NOOK Files, the other in Memory Card (the SD card) - which I order by File Name. Secondly, the two My Files folders within each structure: these My Files folders are useless.

Whenever I go to Library and choose My Files from the drop down menu and then select Memory Card, my underscored files appear on the first page (the root level). Incidentally, when I select Memory Card, I see _Current Reads, _My Docs, _References, _Testing and, screensaver on the first page (the root level).