Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-27-2012, 08:29 AM   #46
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Good luck to you both getting those promised, defect-free new Kindles.... personally I'd have given up and went and bought a Kobo Glo instead by now, but hopefully your patience and perseverance will be rewarded!

No real surprise that people keep hearing different things from different customer service reps though, isn't that always the case.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:44 AM   #47
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Thanks for your good wishes.

I just noticed my PW has arrived here, but is not out for delivery yet. It looks like I'll definitely have it by Monday then, or possibly today if Fed Ex delivers on Saturday. I think they do.

Last edited by sparklemotion; 10-27-2012 at 11:48 AM.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:21 PM   #48
Michele
Addict
Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
FWIW, when I compared my two Paperwhites side by side, there was a marked difference between the two at the bottom 1/2". One was much more contrasty and annoying than the other one. Now I'm dreading that I'll end up with one with a fixed screen but an annoying bottom edge, something we're not allowed to complain about.

The only reason I haven't bought some other brand is that I still have my trusty Kindle Keyboard + booklight, and a large Kindle library.
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:37 PM   #49
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
FWIW, when I compared my two Paperwhites side by side, there was a marked difference between the two at the bottom 1/2". One was much more contrasty and annoying than the other one. Now I'm dreading that I'll end up with one with a fixed screen but an annoying bottom edge, something we're not allowed to complain about.

I know exactly what you mean, Michele. My original PW had more dark splotches at the bottom and one LED was brighter, my current PW is much better on the bottom all around. I'm expecting a new PW next week and there seems to be so many things to worry about. So far for me it's been:

color blobs (green, pink, and blue color hues on the screen)
black specks
glowing specks
one LED brighter
various black shadows on the bottom - some units worse than others
Some screens brighter than others

When I type it out that way it's pretty depressing actually. It makes it seem very difficult to find a PW where none of these problems exit.

I actually went back and looked at my Kindle Keyboard and K5 last night just see if the screens really were perfect. I was wondering if maybe I missed something in the past, like a black speck. They were both absolutely perfect. After my PW experience that seems almost shocking now.

Last edited by sparklemotion; 10-27-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:46 PM   #50
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
Thanks for your good wishes.

I just noticed my PW has arrived here, but is not out for delivery yet. It looks like I'll definitely have it by Monday then, or possibly today if Fed Ex delivers on Saturday. I think they do.
Not unless Saturday delivery is requested by the sender (and an additional premium is charged).
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:48 PM   #51
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Not unless Saturday delivery is requested by the sender (and an additional premium is charged).
Thanks Skydog. It looks like it will be Monday then which is a day earlier than expected anyway so that's nice.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:28 PM   #52
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
I know exactly what you mean, Michele. My original PW had more dark splotches at the bottom and one LED was brighter, my current PW is much better on the bottom all around. I'm expecting a new PW next week and there seems to be so many things to worry about. So far for me it's been:

color blobs (green, pink, and blue color hues on the screen)
black specks
glowing specks
one LED brighter
various black shadows on the bottom - some units worse than others
Some screens brighter than others

When I type it out that way it's pretty depressing actually. It makes it seem very difficult to find a PW where none of these problems exit.

I actually went back and looked at my Kindle Keyboard and K5 last night just see if the screens really were perfect. I was wondering if maybe I missed something in the past, like a black speck. They were both absolutely perfect. After my PW experience that seems almost shocking now.
I have the same list and two more:
Bright vertical light strip along the bottom left corner
Large bright spot at the first lightguide "intersection" from the bottom up, around 4 rows from the bottom.

I look at my little black NT and the screen is absolutely perfect. It's the lightguide technology that's the culprit here!

Michele, all my books are kindle ebooks, and I have a huuuuge TBR pile, and seem to be piling more and more onto it every day. Also, I love that I can send library books right to my Kindle without having to connect it to my laptop first. And, ultimately, I read so much that the price diffence between Amazon and Kobo would be painful pretty fast. So, even with all these problems, I just can't see myself moving away from Amazon. Yes, I am jealously eyeing the Kobo Glo and reading reviews about it, but I remain with Amazon. I love my kindle books. I love the kindle store. I just want to also love my PW. I did buy the black NT, even though I have last year's silver one, just because, but seem to gravitate heavily to the PW regardless.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:05 PM   #53
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
I have the same list and two more:
Bright vertical light strip along the bottom left corner
Large bright spot at the first lightguide "intersection" from the bottom up, around 4 rows from the bottom.

Oh yes, my first one had the bright vertical light strip, I had forgotten about that. My last one that I returned also had odd smudge marks in the bottom left and right corners too. I first saw it when starting it up when the tree pic came on. It looked like white glowing smears.

Edited to add a pic I took of it:

Last edited by sparklemotion; 10-27-2012 at 02:13 PM. Reason: added image
Old 10-27-2012, 03:39 PM   #54
Michele
Addict
Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Michele, all my books are kindle ebooks, and I have a huuuuge TBR pile, and seem to be piling more and more onto it every day. Also, I love that I can send library books right to my Kindle without having to connect it to my laptop first. And, ultimately, I read so much that the price diffence between Amazon and Kobo would be painful pretty fast. So, even with all these problems, I just can't see myself moving away from Amazon. Yes, I am jealously eyeing the Kobo Glo and reading reviews about it, but I remain with Amazon. I love my kindle books. I love the kindle store. I just want to also love my PW. I did buy the black NT, even though I have last year's silver one, just because, but seem to gravitate heavily to the PW regardless.
I think that maybe the NT has a brighter screen than my Keyboard. Can someone confirm this? I remember some visibility-improving firmware updates on my Keyboard that didn't apply to my model. At $69, and with the PW so bad, I'm tempted to move from Keyboard to NT. Or I could wait to see if Amazon contacts me due to my one-star review and offers me some guarantee of getting a good unit.

Last edited by Michele; 10-27-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:50 PM   #55
Blessedx5
Blessedx5 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Blessedx5 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Blessedx5 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Blessedx5 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Blessedx5 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Blessedx5 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Blessedx5 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Blessedx5 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Blessedx5 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Blessedx5 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Blessedx5 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony prs650
New here. Have been reading along and anxiously awaiting my fist Kindle and PW. Just wondering your thoughts on this: today I saw Amazon change from shipping in 4-6 weeks to 5-7 weeks. Anyone notice this? Also, when I go to look at PW on Amazon, it now says, this page is not available...wondering if anyone has seen this?
Blessedx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:55 PM   #56
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessedx5 View Post
New here. Have been reading along and anxiously awaiting my fist Kindle and PW. Just wondering your thoughts on this: today I saw Amazon change from shipping in 4-6 weeks to 5-7 weeks. Anyone notice this? Also, when I go to look at PW on Amazon, it now says, this page is not available...wondering if anyone has seen this?
The PW page is working fine on the USA site. Are you looking at the page for a different country?
Old 10-27-2012, 04:15 PM   #57
Blessedx5
Blessedx5 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Blessedx5 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Blessedx5 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Blessedx5 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Blessedx5 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Blessedx5 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Blessedx5 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Blessedx5 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Blessedx5 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Blessedx5 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Blessedx5 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony prs650
US here. Seems to be working now. Was strange there for a while...
Blessedx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:48 PM   #58
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
I don't have a Kindle, but from most of the pictures I've seen here of both "good" and "bad" screens almost all have a distinct X or diamond pattern of the lightguide. I'm really surprised that it hasn't been mentioned more because it would drive me nuts.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:09 PM   #59
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
I don't have a Kindle, but from most of the pictures I've seen here of both "good" and "bad" screens almost all have a distinct X or diamond pattern of the lightguide. I'm really surprised that it hasn't been mentioned more because it would drive me nuts.
It was mentioned a lot in the beginning actually, but I think when people started to notice the color hue issue that sorta took over everything and it seems it's been mentioned less since. At least from what I've noticed.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:09 PM   #60
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
It was mentioned a lot in the beginning actually, but I think when people started to notice the color hue issue that sorta took over everything and it seems it's been mentioned less since. At least from what I've noticed.
Exactly. The light cones and the diamond shapes of the guide are already to be expected (not that they were mentioned by Amazon in the keynote speech) - but I had one that had an abnormally white triangular shaped spot in one of the intersections. It was very bright and made it difficult to read the text above (below?) it.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote