Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-09-2013, 12:17 PM   #26461
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
PICS! or it doesn't exist!

cool well water and about to be some brandy
OK, OK. These are from the original building project, along with pics of my first batch of hens.
Spoiler:

Fresh squeezed orange juice to go with the output from the girls...
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:59 PM   #26462
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Nice coop. I grew up with backyard chickens and rabbits and the daily eggs were nice, but I really hated when it was time to eat the chickens and rabbits.

Morning coffee in my cup.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2013, 02:26 PM   #26463
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Local varmints are an issue around here, so that mesh goes 18 inches into the ground. So far, in 4 years, we've had no issues with any varmints getting into the coop. But we have lot a couple of chickens to predators while they were free-ranging about the yard (and across the street and down the block, and wherever. ) Both times when the weather fooled me and it started seriously raining, causing them to try to hide where they clearly got trapped.

Eating them isn't an issue. When they get done laying, they can simply retire until they die of old age. Frankly, this breed is not good eating, they are pure layers. But while they are in their laying prime, they reliably pop out an egg every day.

Right now we're down to two chickens, only one of whom is still laying. But we should have four more coming in the next couple of weeks.

Peet's English Breakfast tea.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:29 PM   #26464
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
There is an entire thread on raising chickens at Kindle Boards. Complete with chicken pictures and structure builds
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:34 PM   #26465
CRussel
(he/him/his)

I'm not surprised. Another resource (and one of the best, from what I have seen) is Backyard Chickens.
Advert
Old 10-09-2013, 07:53 PM   #26466
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Local varmints are an issue around here, so that mesh goes 18 inches into the ground. So far, in 4 years, we've had no issues with any varmints getting into the coop. But we have lot a couple of chickens to predators while they were free-ranging about the yard (and across the street and down the block, and wherever. ) Both times when the weather fooled me and it started seriously raining, causing them to try to hide where they clearly got trapped.

Eating them isn't an issue. When they get done laying, they can simply retire until they die of old age. Frankly, this breed is not good eating, they are pure layers. But while they are in their laying prime, they reliably pop out an egg every day.

Right now we're down to two chickens, only one of whom is still laying. But we should have four more coming in the next couple of weeks.

Peet's English Breakfast tea.
Packing up my bags now .... gazing at pics of my new roommates .... bringing a bottle or two of single malt to repay mine kind host .... TajMaHen here I come!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:25 PM   #26467
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Black Boss Porter in my glass ... dark, rich, smooth, malty, with quite a kick!
Old 10-09-2013, 11:43 PM   #26468
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Fresh cup of coffee and finishing off my dinner of roast and potatoes.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:51 AM   #26469
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Packing up my bags now .... gazing at pics of my new roommates .... bringing a bottle or two of single malt to repay mine kind host .... TajMaHen here I come!
Ah, stepping up to luxury accommodations on the premier vacation destination of Canada. We'll roll out the best -- organic mash, fresh water in the feeder, and, of course, fresh hen scratch in the dormant annual flower beds. (Best way to get them turned over for the winter. :P) Nothing but the best for you. Especially since you're bringing single malt.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:26 AM   #26470
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Just water in my glass.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:34 AM   #26471
dreams
It's about the umbrella

My normal morning coffee in my cup, while still yawning.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:53 PM   #26472
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
Ah, stepping up to luxury accommodations on the premier vacation destination of Canada. We'll roll out the best -- organic mash, fresh water in the feeder, and, of course, fresh hen scratch in the dormant annual flower beds. (Best way to get them turned over for the winter. :P) Nothing but the best for you. Especially since you're bringing single malt.
I'll need a reading chair - with a side table for the glass of single malt .... otherwise your preparations sound heavenly!

Oh Canada!

[I'm currently stocking Lagavulin, Talisker, Laphroaig, and Ardbeg -- did I leave any out?]
Old 10-10-2013, 02:04 PM   #26473
CRussel
(he/him/his)

"Reading Chair"? Oh, sure -- we've got a very nice roost for you here - carved out of native Alder, and shaped to exactly the right size. All the chicks have given it their full approval, and there's an excellent side-rail that will do nicely for the table. Heck, we've even got lighting if you like to read in bed. :P (Days get pretty short here, so we tend to turn the lights on to keep the overall "daylight" time up to at least 12 hours. )

Hmmm. A very nice selection of single malts there, though I admit to being partial to the occasional Glenmorangie as well.

Murchie's Russian Caravan tea.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #26474
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Finishing Tea #1, with tea #2 standing by. There's a lot to be said for efficiency.
cromag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:19 PM   #26475
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
"Reading Chair"? Oh, sure -- we've got a very nice roost for you here - carved out of native Alder, and shaped to exactly the right size. All the chicks have given it their full approval, and there's an excellent side-rail that will do nicely for the table. Heck, we've even got lighting if you like to read in bed. :P (Days get pretty short here, so we tend to turn the lights on to keep the overall "daylight" time up to at least 12 hours. )

Hmmm. A very nice selection of single malts there, though I admit to being partial to the occasional Glenmorangie as well.

Murchie's Russian Caravan tea.

Sounds perfect - a reading roost with light! Shaped to fit my fanny!

Hmmm .... I'd love to try the Glenmorangie Cellar 13 ... have any pals in England that would ship us a bottle?

Tags
languages, tea enthusiasts, what is in your cup?