Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you still buy an audio book if you already read the book from cover to cover?
Yes 18 25.35%
No 31 43.66%
Depends on the book or the narrator 22 30.99%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-11-2013, 02:00 PM   #1
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Audio Book Poll

If you already read a printed book or an ebook from cover to cover, would you still buy the audio book version? If you have a favorite narrator, who is he or she?

Last edited by Julius Caesar; 09-11-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:06 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
No; but I might check it out from the library.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2013, 02:43 PM   #3
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I have certain few authors that I collect in audio and print, and of that few, there's a smaller subset that I'll also get in eformat. It's a very short list, however. I find that listening to books, I'll catch things that I glossed over in the reading, and vice versa - plus, a really good narrator can add depth to the book.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:48 PM   #4
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Of course. The first audiobooks I purchased were all books I already owned and had read, sometimes multiple times. The audiobook versions gave me a different experience.

Narrators--I don't know, I haven't run into one I disliked.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:50 PM   #5
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Don't tend to re-read books a lot, but if I were to re-read a favorite, I might consider the audiobook version. For example, next time I read Harry Potter, I'd like to listen to the Stephen Fry narrations.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2013, 02:56 PM   #6
wawasteele
Addict
wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 1st PW, Sansa Clip Zip, Samsungs: GT 7.0 Plus, Note4, GT 4 10.1"
I voted "no". However, the answer for me really should be "highly unlikely". I don't normally reread books. I just have too many books I want to read or listen to (and the list keeps growing) that I will never get them all read in my lifetime. But there are a few books that I have reread and I probably will again. So, someday, I might be in the mood to reread a book and decide to do it in audio just so it's a bit different.
wawasteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:17 PM   #7
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Not as a matter of routine, though if I had access to both formats (library, friend, special Audible/Amazon deal), and if I was going to reread in any case, I might choose to try the other format the second time.

I can only think of one book off the top of my head that I actually have both eye-read and ear-read, and that was Jurassic Park. Barely counts because I think the audio version was abridged.

My current two favorite narrators are Susan Ericksen and Grover Gardner.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:26 PM   #8
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I used to travel a lot for a living, both driving and flying. On long drives I would buy the audio books of my favorite reads. I found them much better at keeping me awake than playing music. Now I do not travel as much and I listen to my favorite pod casts. They are mostly cooking, Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me and Car Talk.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:31 PM   #9
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, ..., Glo
If it's a story I really liked then I will still get the audio. Audiobooks allow you to keep doing other things while you "read" so I can re-read something and not have to carve out special time to do so.

ETA: I said "Yes" but probably should have put depends
gabby98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:34 PM   #10
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Lucky!
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:38 PM   #11
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I chose "Depends", as I do like to reread and revisiting the story in the other format is entertaining for me. I listen to stories as I work in the yard and house to make the time pass quicker and the work doesn't seem like work when I am entertained.

I do have an absolute favorite for short listening times: Oscar Wilde - The Importance of Being Earnest - performed by L. A. Theatre Works. It was a freebie from Audible and I have found it hilarious to listen to and cheer me up when doing boring, repetitious chores.

So far, I haven't found a narrator that I absolutely hated. I usually listen to a sample before downloading, just to make sure I do like the narrator and how it is being read.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:39 PM   #12
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Of course. The first audiobooks I purchased were all books I already owned and had read, sometimes multiple times. The audiobook versions gave me a different experience.

Totally agree. Most audiobooks that I have, I also have the ebook (or paper book) version. Listening to an audiobook is a different experience and frequently gives me a totally different read on the story.

There are a number of readers that I really like.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:44 PM   #13
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
It depends for me as well.
"The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings" narrated by Rob Inglis are absolutely spectacular. It gets to the point that one can differentiate each character just by the different voice and inflections that are used by the narrator.
I also love "The Dresden Files" as read by James Marsters.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:06 PM   #14
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Another depends.

I'm a big fan of Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey and Maturin Series. I own all the ebooks, a few of the pbooks and I'm slowly adding the Audible books. There are two releases of those books. One read by Simon Vance and one read by Patrick Tull. Simon Vance is my favorite.

Also I've read and have the Audible books for Joe Abercrombie's The First Law Series read by Steven Pacey who's another of my favorites.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:18 PM   #15
Dhevi
Zealot
Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Galaxy S3, Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
It depends for me as well.
"The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings" narrated by Rob Inglis are absolutely spectacular. It gets to the point that one can differentiate each character just by the different voice and inflections that are used by the narrator.
I also love "The Dresden Files" as read by James Marsters.
Pretty much the words ... out of my mouth.

I don't often purchase audiobooks on novels I've already read unless the Narrator reallys draws me in with their performance.

I'm also not too keen on audiobooks that include a lot of sound effects, much like the company Graphic Audio does in their releases. I feel it distracts and sometimes drowns out the narrator on some pieces.
Dhevi is offline   Reply With Quote