Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-18-2012, 07:06 PM   #1
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
"Sharpness" and "Kobo Styling" question?

Can anyone tell me what the type settings for "Kobo Styling" and "Sharpness" actually do?

As far as I can tell, Kobo Styling does nothing at all, and the Sharpness setting seems to be so subtle that the only difference I can see in the preview is that the type seems to get slightly grey at the minus end of the slider (at least with Caecilia).

Since they are not documented anywhere I can find, can anyone knowledgeable describe what these features really do?
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:45 PM   #2
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Who cares about Kobo styling.

Oppa Gangnam Style!

Sorry - couldn't resist.

IIRC, Kobo styling was removed from the functioning of the firmware, but the checkbox remained as a vestigil control. I think there was a post from Sameer at some point about having fun checking and unchecking the box.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2012, 09:14 AM   #3
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Kobo Styling does seem to have one effect. In some books with footnotes (specifically, Kobo's own .kepub-formatted books), toggling Kobo Styling off will fade out the footnote's link so that it's only barely visible (the _ under the footnote link is faded no matter what, however - just the number/asterix is affected). Just checked in one of my books (Noam Chomsky's "Hegemony or Survival") to confirm.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:25 AM   #4
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
I'm pretty sure sharpness sets the 'aggressiveness' of the anti-aliasing on fonts.
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote