Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-17-2011, 04:07 PM   #1
Cy1clown
Cy1clown began at the beginning.

Device: eBookwise
Calibre in Linux mint

I am having problems with calibre in linux mint. I had the version listed in mint synaptic installed 0.6.42 and upgraded to 0.8.0 I then had two icons in my menu list. I tried to uninstall the old version and got an error "E: calibre: unable to securely remove '/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/manual/epub.py'" now my synaptic will not install any updates and fails with that same error every time.
Can anyone help me with this problem?
If I wanted to how would I completely remove calibre and start over?

Thanks
Jon
Cy1clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:15 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
sudo rm -rf /usr/lib/calibre
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2011, 04:17 PM   #3
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
The official binary installer does not install to that location nor does it use synaptics. You will need to contact your distros support channel about issues with uninstalling their package.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:34 PM   #4
Cy1clown
Cy1clown began at the beginning.

Device: eBookwise
Thanks for the replies. I also posted a question in my distro forum.
Am I correct in that the sudo rm -rf command will remove the files in the listed location?

Thanks
Cy1clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:35 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Yes, rm -rf means delete all files in the listed directory as any subdirectories.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2011, 04:42 AM   #6
hairybiker
Banned
hairybiker began at the beginning.

Device: Tolino Shine 3
open a terminal
enter
sudo -s
rm -rf /opt/calibre
rm -rf /usr/lib/calibre
apt remove --purge calibre

that should remove both versions you installed, then just install the downloaded version as the package version is very OLD.
hairybiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:16 PM   #7
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
I am using Calibre in Mint Linux.
I always install from official Calibre page.
You copy and paste one line.
Quote:
sudo python -c "import urllib2; exec urllib2.urlopen('http://status.calibre-ebook.com/linux_installer').read(); main()"
You might want to uninstall Calibre you installed from Ubuntu repositories, because Calibre from official pages installs to /opt directory by default. Then it places symlinks for Calibre binaries to /usr/bin
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote