Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 10-28-2010, 12:18 PM   #1
vja4Him
vja4Him
vja4Him began at the beginning.

Device: none
Archos 70 Internet Tablet

I've been looking at the Archos 43, which will do what I want, but then I found the Archos 70!

Looks like I just might get the Archos 70 Internet Tablet .... Anyone have this gadget yet? They are out in Europe, and should be available in the United States soon ...
vja4Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:08 PM   #2
LakeLoon
Wanderer
LakeLoon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.LakeLoon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.LakeLoon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.LakeLoon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3
Apparently now shipping! See here (Engadget) and here (Archos).

Actually, the "purchase" option is not yet live at Archos' website, but it does give the pricing as $274.99 for 8GB, $349.99 for 250GB.

Overall looks very appealing! More features than the Nook Color for only a touch more cash, and way cheaper than the Samsung Galaxy Tab.

Now if only the performance is there . . . something that has been a downfall for Archos in the past . . .
LakeLoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2010, 08:45 AM   #3
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I know this is probably not very helpful but, I know archos from what others have told me about their MP3 players and they seem to be very good products. I have a lot of respect for Archos and their abilities. If they are willing to get me an ereader for the price I want to pay for it, $100 i would definetly line up to buy one.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:09 AM   #4
DuncanWatson
Kindle Convert
DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook (all)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeLoon View Post
Overall looks very appealing! More features than the Nook Color for only a touch more cash, and way cheaper than the Samsung Galaxy Tab.

Now if only the performance is there . . . something that has been a downfall for Archos in the past . . .
The other issue is that the screen is lower quality than the nook color. It is about 25% less pixel per inch than the color nook.

I would be tempted if the apps where there but none of the reader apps I have seen are not the quality of the native ereader apps today.
DuncanWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:59 AM   #5
LakeLoon
Wanderer
LakeLoon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.LakeLoon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.LakeLoon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.LakeLoon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanWatson View Post
The other issue is that the screen is lower quality than the nook color. It is about 25% less pixel per inch than the color nook.
Right you are. But I will note that even a lower-resolution screen can look good (to my eyes) for video. For other applications, including reading ebooks, the resolution might be more of an issue. I definitely want to spend hands-on time with the various devices before buying anything.

The point about reading apps is also fair, although reading is a secondary consideration for me (I will stick with my Kindle for b&w content). But apps can be improved, unlike hardware.

What makes the Archos (potentially) stand out for me is:

* spec'd for 720p playback (maybe the Nook will be able to handle this too)
* HDMI out with non-proprietary cable
* built-in kickstand
* front-facing camera
* FLAC and AC3 5.1 support
* bluetooth 2.1 EDR - I can tether to my phone and, hopefully, my GPSr
* decent claimed battery life (36h music, 7h video, 10h web)
* USB host capability

. . . but I admit, none of these are directly relevant to performance as an ereader! Except maybe battery life, and I don't know what the Nook will do.
LakeLoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2010, 11:57 PM   #6
ypocaramel
Connoisseur
ypocaramel began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-700, Barnes and Noble NOOKcolor)
In general, IPS screens have better color gamut and viewing angles (at least that's the way it is on the desktop, there are measurements to back this up), so if you want a device for reading or sharing photos using the device's screen, and use B&N services, Nook color has the advantage. Otherwise, the Archos has some appeal, yes.

Last edited by ypocaramel; 11-18-2010 at 02:03 PM.
ypocaramel is offline   Reply With Quote