Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > BeBook

Notices

Old 09-21-2008, 01:23 AM   #1
Doomorama
Doomorama began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook
Adobe Digital Editions on BeBook?

I just got my BeBook and really like it so far. My local public library lets you borrow ebooks, but most are in the Adobe Digital Editions format.

From what I understand, the BeBook can do encrypted PDFs, but is that the same as the Digital Editions format?

Thanks

Last edited by Doomorama; 09-21-2008 at 01:25 AM. Reason: Changed email notification
Doomorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 07:50 AM   #2
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomorama View Post
From what I understand, the BeBook can do encrypted PDFs, but is that the same as the Digital Editions format?
Digital Editions is the same as ePub, and the BeBook should be able to handle it just fine!
AlfonsVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:24 AM   #3
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfonsVH View Post
Digital Editions is the same as ePub, and the BeBook should be able to handle it just fine!
Not exactly. The BeBook can handle unencrypted ePub, but not PDF & ePub files encrypted using DE's DRM.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 01:40 PM   #4
Doomorama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
Not exactly. The BeBook can handle unencrypted ePub, but not PDF & ePub files encrypted using DE's DRM.
So I guess I'm out of luck then, at least for now. Has anyone heard of Hanlin/BeBook adding drm'ed ePub support in the future?
Old 09-21-2008, 05:25 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
So I guess I'm out of luck then, at least for now. Has anyone heard of Hanlin/BeBook adding drm'ed ePub support in the future?
I don't see why they would do that. There's not much you can't get in Mobi format. What you can't is usually in Adobe format not ePub.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 05:52 PM   #6
mikecook
Enthusiast
mikecook began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Mini, Nexus 7, Sony Reader, Kindle, and others.
Quote:
I asked BeBook about ePub DRM and they replied saying, 'We're working on adding the DRM support'

I guess if the ePub format continues to be adopted by publishers then I don't see why they won't follow through on this.
mikecook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 05:53 PM   #7
Doomorama

I guess I'll just have to try to get my library to start using MobiPocket in the future. I just checked and they have 5600 titles in Digital Editions format, but only 500 in Mobi.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:05 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecook View Post
I asked BeBook about ePub DRM and they replied saying, 'We're working on adding the DRM support'

I guess if the ePub format continues to be adopted by publishers then I don't see why they won't follow through on this.
One "block" would be the fact that they now support Mobi DRM. It's well-known that Mobi demand DRM exclusivity as a condition of permitting their reader to be implemented on a device.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:22 PM   #9
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
Oops! My mistake.
AlfonsVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:30 PM   #10
mikecook
Enthusiast
mikecook began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Mini, Nexus 7, Sony Reader, Kindle, and others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
One "block" would be the fact that they now support Mobi DRM. It's well-known that Mobi demand DRM exclusivity as a condition of permitting their reader to be implemented on a device.
It would be a shame if the Mobi deal limits them from implementing ePub DRM. For me it's great that they have ePub support in the first place!
mikecook is offline   Reply With Quote