Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-08-2013, 11:44 PM   #31
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Among the postwar Brits and similar:

Hammond Innes:
I can recommend The Angry Mountain, c 1949, which climaxes in a small village being swallowed by lava as Vesuvius blows its top. Innes was stationed nearby when the mountain blew catastrophically in 1945, and he used what he saw and experienced in this novel set a few years later.

Also Wreckers Must Breathe, a war thriller. (He wrote lots of others.)

Desmond Bagley is very reliable.

Early Alistair MacLean. (Caution: His writing fell away badly after Puppet on a Chain.)

Geoffrey Jenkins, South African writer, a good series in exotic locations.

Jack Higgins, although his later Sean Dillon novels became repetitive. His earlier ones are the right length, fast and tough. The Eagle has Landed. East of Desolation. Brought in Dead.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:56 PM   #32
Joshua.P
The Dark Knight
Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
On topic now: The Innocent by David Baldacci.
Joshua.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:01 AM   #33
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I am questioning your logic. How did you come to the conclusion that this book is a thriller? What makes it such?

It is NOT a thriller. You may be thrilled to read it, but that doesn't make it a thriller. It is a mystery. I know some thrillers have mystery elements to them. But in this case, it's a mystery and not a thriller.
What are you, the Genre Police? The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo IS a thriller. Prove that it isn't. Sure, it's a mystery. It's also a thriller. Things can be more than one genre, you know. It's not a mutually exclusive sort of proposition.

Violence, characters in peril, serial killers, and an ominous vibe throughout equals "thriller" in my book. Maybe we could do a little poll, assuming anyone else is even interested in weighing in on such a stupid argument.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:27 AM   #34
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I don't like the genre, but I loved Fatherland by Robert Harris and Shella by Andrew Vachss.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:31 PM   #35
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
I don't read thrillers much but I do like Jeremy Robinson, his books seem to skew more towards the X-Files side than your standard thriller.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:33 AM   #36
kcarscadden
Zealot
kcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavens

Device: iPad Air 5, Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
Try any of the books by Gavin Lyall - all good.

Similar to Lee Child's Reacher books are John D MacDonald's Travis McGee books.
kcarscadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:10 PM   #37
Kane
Kane , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kane , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kane , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kane , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kane , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kane , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kane , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kane , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kane , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kane , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kane , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Sony Reader PRS505
I haven't posted in a long time, but I thought I could contribute here.

I used to run a charity bookstore and I would always recommend the books published by the International Thriller Writers Association, as they are essentially samplers.

http://thrillerwriters.org/aboutitw/publications/

Hope this is helpful.
Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:58 AM   #38
ExEmGe
ExEmGe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ExEmGe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ExEmGe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ExEmGe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ExEmGe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ExEmGe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ExEmGe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ExEmGe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ExEmGe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ExEmGe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ExEmGe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Defining 'Thriller' as any novel where the narator or principal character is in some serious/life threatening hazard,
I'd recommend
The Dogs of Riga (Henning Mankel)
Pompeii, Fatherland & 'The Fear Index' (Robert Harris)
'Deadly Decisions' or pretty well any (Kathy Reichs) Novel
'Rogue Male' (Geoffrey Household) & also 'Rogue Justice'.
'Aftermath' (Peter Robinson)
'Bleeding Hearts' (Jack Harvey - aka Ian Rankin)
'The Constant Gardener' (John le Carré)

Last edited by ExEmGe; 03-12-2013 at 12:11 PM.
ExEmGe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:45 PM   #39
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd also recommend anything written by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child, either individually or as a team. Only one to avoid, IMHO - a book called "Impact" by Douglas Preston, which is just plain silly. Everything else they've written is good or better.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:40 AM   #40
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExEmGe View Post
I'd recommend
The Dogs of Riga (Henning Mankel)
I just got that one! Yay me! I love a good thriller.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:29 AM   #41
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'd also recommend anything written by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child, either individually or as a team. Only one to avoid, IMHO - a book called "Impact" by Douglas Preston, which is just plain silly. Everything else they've written is good or better.
I just read Extraction, which was a really good short story. I want to read their Pendergast novels. Should I begin with Relic? I mean do you recommend that I read them in chronological order?
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:34 AM   #42
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuallee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I am questioning your logic. How did you come to the conclusion that this book is a thriller? What makes it such?

It is NOT a thriller. You may be thrilled to read it, but that doesn't make it a thriller. It is a mystery. I know some thrillers have mystery elements to them. But in this case, it's a mystery and not a thriller.
What are you, the Genre Police? The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo IS a thriller. Prove that it isn't. Sure, it's a mystery. It's also a thriller. Things can be more than one genre, you know. It's not a mutually exclusive sort of proposition.

Violence, characters in peril, serial killers, and an ominous vibe throughout equals "thriller" in my book. Maybe we could do a little poll, assuming anyone else is even interested in weighing in on such a stupid argument.

@JSWolf
: Have you actually read all three books??

Here are some of my recent favorites:
  • John Katzenbach - The Analyst (2 of his other books, Just Cause and Hart's War, were made into movies.)
  • Jussi Adler-Olsen - Mercy (UK title)/The Keeper of Lost Causes (US title)
  • Joseph Finder - Paranoia (his equally good book High Crimes was made into a movie)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:53 AM   #43
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella20 View Post
I just read Extraction, which was a really good short story. I want to read their Pendergast novels. Should I begin with Relic? I mean do you recommend that I read them in chronological order?
Yes, definitely read them in order; there are numerous ongoing plot developments as the series goes on.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:10 PM   #44
BreezyDay
12 Miles and Climbing
BreezyDay rocks like Gibraltar!BreezyDay rocks like Gibraltar!BreezyDay rocks like Gibraltar!BreezyDay rocks like Gibraltar!BreezyDay rocks like Gibraltar!BreezyDay rocks like Gibraltar!BreezyDay rocks like Gibraltar!BreezyDay rocks like Gibraltar!BreezyDay rocks like Gibraltar!BreezyDay rocks like Gibraltar!BreezyDay rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: none
xxxxx

Last edited by BreezyDay; 08-29-2019 at 01:16 PM.
BreezyDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:17 AM   #45
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Dean Koontz has written some that are thrillers I think. Whispers for one.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote