Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-07-2013, 12:29 AM   #1
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Battery drained by faulty SD card/reader

Going by other's reports of good battery life, my Kobo Glo battery wasn't lasting as long as it should have, but I think I have found the cause of the problem:

I had a 4GB card in the Glo's micro SD expansion slot, and I was getting about 8-9 hours reading time with WiFi off. It didn't seem to matter whether the book I was reading was on the external card or not.

Yesterday I replaced the Glo's internal 2GB card with an 8GB one, and removed the 4GB card from the expansion slot. (I did this because images were not being cached properly for books residing on the external card, greatly slowing the display of thumbnails). Since then my power consumption appears to have dropped dramatically.

It'll take some time to work out exactly how much it has changed, but based on the last day's use I might now get 30 hours or more reading time per charge.

I can't imagine it is normal for a micro SD card to use so much power, so I guess either it was a faulty card, or a fault with my Glo such as a short-circuit in the card reader. I'd need to buy another card to test which.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:48 AM   #2
voidoid
Connoisseur
voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Going by other's reports of good battery life, my Kobo Glo battery wasn't lasting as long as it should have, but I think I have found the cause of the problem:

I had a 4GB card in the Glo's micro SD expansion slot, and I was getting about 8-9 hours reading time with WiFi off. It didn't seem to matter whether the book I was reading was on the external card or not.

Yesterday I replaced the Glo's internal 2GB card with an 8GB one, and removed the 4GB card from the expansion slot. (I did this because images were not being cached properly for books residing on the external card, greatly slowing the display of thumbnails). Since then my power consumption appears to have dropped dramatically.

It'll take some time to work out exactly how much it has changed, but based on the last day's use I might now get 30 hours or more reading time per charge.

I can't imagine it is normal for a micro SD card to use so much power, so I guess either it was a faulty card, or a fault with my Glo such as a short-circuit in the card reader. I'd need to buy another card to test which.
Please keep us posted about any conclusions or even strong suspicions that you reach. This is interesting stuff.
voidoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:04 AM   #3
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have been testing a new micro SD card (Sandisk Ultra 16GB) for a few days and there seems to be little difference in power consumption compared to no card at all. I estimate about 30-35 hours reading time with wifi off. (Can't be exact without a much longer trial).

But when I put my old card (Kingston 4GB) back in the slot it is clear within a few hours that the battery is being drained at a much higher rate. Even with no books on the card, just having it in the card slot is enough to cause the drain. So it seems clear that the fault is with the card itself.

Last edited by GeoffR; 01-20-2013 at 01:04 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-20-2013, 01:52 AM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@GeoffR; just wondering if you could watch the Glo with the old card in and see if it ever does sleep? I'm curious as my experience on my Touch was that the unit would start to sleep, and then wake right back up again,

Thanks!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:59 AM   #5
GeoffR
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
@GeoffR; just wondering if you could watch the Glo with the old card in and see if it ever does sleep? I'm curious as my experience on my Touch was that the unit would start to sleep, and then wake right back up again,
The bad card doesn't stop the Glo sleeping, and I didn't see it wake up unexpectedly. In fact the bad card didn't seem to have any noticable effect on the function or stability of the reader other than using a lot of power.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:31 AM   #6
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Perhaps a process gets started identifying or reading the card's contents and fails to shut down despite the ereader going into sleep mode? Maybe it's some sort of minor hardware or software compatibility issue with certain brands or the firmware has a bug that only shows with certain cards -might even be the card doesn't somehow follow the spec... though it seems likely Kobo could bulletproof whatever routine gets stuck with a timeout of some sort, or an override that shuts the microSD hardware down anyway. I think I recall seeing other posts about this sort of thing happening only with a certain brand/size card, possibly with the Touch.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote