Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-09-2012, 11:10 AM   #61
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
It's an https connection using Firefox from where I currently am in Canada and checking by putting stuff into the basket.
That is indeed curious as I am using Firefox too.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:18 AM   #62
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
That is indeed curious as I am using Firefox too.
Maybe it just doesn't look secure to you because the newer versions of FF no longer display the little lock icon on an https URL and instead changes the background colour of the sitename?

When you click on that coloured portion in the address bar, a pop-up box should show up giving details of the site's security certificate and you'll see the little lock icon there, or a warning if it's actually not secure.

Perhaps you could try again and see what it says?

When I try it now, FF tells me that the page I get from adding a book to the basket which goes to bridgit.geredonovan.com is verified by GeoTrust and when I click for more info, tells me that it's "high grade encryption" with "RC4, 128-bit keys".
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2012, 11:31 AM   #63
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Aw, if they had a "cozy" section, I'd just buy them all. I don't know a thing about mysteries, but my mom likes cozies.
I'm not much of a cozy-recognizer either, but in PPP's sale, Night Kill is described by an included review quote as a "zoo cosy" and the Mew Is For Murder gets comments as both "quirky" and "cozy" if you think you might want to pick up a couple.

And for my fellow Canadians, I'll mention that Relative Danger apparently has portions set in Toronto.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:20 PM   #64
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Quote:
It's an https connection using Firefox from where I currently am in Canada and checking by putting stuff into the basket.
Also secure connection for me using Firefox in the US....
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:48 PM   #65
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Maybe it just doesn't look secure to you because the newer versions of FF no longer display the little lock icon on an https URL and instead changes the background colour of the sitename?

When you click on that coloured portion in the address bar, a pop-up box should show up giving details of the site's security certificate and you'll see the little lock icon there, or a warning if it's actually not secure.

Perhaps you could try again and see what it says?

When I try it now, FF tells me that the page I get from adding a book to the basket which goes to bridgit.geredonovan.com is verified by GeoTrust and when I click for more info, tells me that it's "high grade encryption" with "RC4, 128-bit keys".
Thanks for that. Background color of site name does change color but I receive pop-ups with warnings. I'll just switch systems for the time being.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2012, 07:03 AM   #66
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmac View Post
Everytime I try to purchase I get the checkout error message that my address doesn't match my card I have sent them an email hopefully they can sort it out
Same problem here. Ah well, I can get the book I wanted a little cheaper on Amazon anyway. Would prefer Kobo, but they didn't have it the last time I checked, although they had the first two in the series.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:01 AM   #67
rrosenwald
OS/2 forever
rrosenwald began at the beginning.

Device: none
As much as I appreciate the comment, all of our books are DRM free everywhere.

Robert Rosenwald
President
rrosenwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:15 AM   #68
ATDrake
Wizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrosenwald View Post
As much as I appreciate the comment, all of our books are DRM free everywhere.
Not on Kobo, they're not. Every one of Beverle Graves Myers' PPP-published titles are listed as having the download option of "Adobe DRM ePub", and so were many others when I checked earlier.

This may have something to do with Kobo once having some sort of problem with auto-DRMing the books of publishers who'd made a commitment to DRM-free whenever possible, so you might want to talk to them about getting it fixed, since they do now offer DRM-free books and tell you which ones are in the catalogue listings. (This incidentally, being information that Amazon recently removed from their own catalogue listings, so I don't recall whether I ever saw any indication otherwise on the previous promo books there. And IIRC, Sony auto-DRMs everything as well, and Cory Doctorow had to fight to keep them from doing so to his books.)

I would love to be able to apply Kobo's sporadic discount coupons to the following books in series that I've enjoyed if they became DRM free there.

Thanks for taking the time to respond, and also for offering such nice introductory sale prices and bundled-format-without-DRM terms.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:06 PM   #69
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Quote:
Thanks also for the recommend for the Dobson/Pelletier academic-setting series. I like that sort of thing as well and I'll keep an eye out for them at the library or hopefully upcoming PPP introductory sale.
The first four Dobson/Pelletier books are available at the Philadelphia Free Library, if you have a membership there and want to try them. They were/are Random House, and the last two are PPP.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:57 PM   #70
ATDrake
Wizzard

Another 12 of these 99 cent introductory specials in the new rotation at PPP's now-restored promo webpage, another $11.88 USD spent this evening. I'm quite pleased with this month's selections, as there are a few of my favourite themes in there.

WWII homefront! WWII overseas! Art! Archaeology! East Asia! British snark! Historicals! Academia! Science! Awesome!

Hopefully I'll actually have time to read some of them this time around in the upcoming weeks post-purchase (still haven't gotten more than a few chapters in on February's most promising titles, sigh). <-- aside from the fact that I still have hair and sincerely hope I don't look that jaundiced, this has not been me for well over two months now
Old 04-11-2012, 12:12 AM   #71
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
I liked Murder in Mykonos too, for people looking at these.

Detective new chief guy gets political interference in hunt for serial killer, basically.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:24 AM   #72
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
I love me some first books of series for $0.99.

Sorry scifi bundle, my heart belongs to mysteries and I couldn't resist the Dragon, Faraday cage, erotic novel of suspense, or Confederate guns.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:56 AM   #73
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
I thought that Stealing the Dragon sounded good, I'll have to pick it up through Kobo though as the Poison Pen checkout doesn't like me
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:51 AM   #74
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Torch of Tangier sounds interesting.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:20 AM   #75
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain

The website was great to buy from this time it seems - add to cart put in details press buy - download link and receipt info appears. Job done. Very nice!

The Torch of Tangier was 702 for the year!