Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-08-2010, 03:43 PM   #1
hpjrt
Connoisseur
hpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watch

Device: kobo
Anyone know of a good cookbook ebook site?

I'm just having a dreadful time finding ebook versions of cookbooks.

Since I now have a Sony PRS 650, my daughter-in-law would like to use my 1st generation Kobo for cookbooks/recipes. Great idea since their kitchen is so small it wouldn't accommodate an open cookbook along with the preparations!

So ... I would like to start off her "collection" with a good, basic cookbook ... the sort of "how to cook anything" idea. The problem? Well ... I've been able to find some cookbooks in pdf format ... that format sucks on the Kobo. Converting it to epub is just cumbersome. Basically I want an already properly formatted ebook.

Kobobooks.com has precious few cookbooks available ... and none of them are good, basic cookbooks. They have the latest fad-type cookbooks ... but I can't seem to find the really good, basic ones.

Anyone have a good site for purchasing good, basic cookbooks?

Thanks

Mary
hpjrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:32 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Mary.......have you tried your library?

Well, wait, that would be epub.....but thats the only other source I can think of...........
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:34 PM   #3
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Mary.......have you tried your library?

Well, wait, that would be epub.....but thats the only other source I can think of...........
Epub should be fine, she has a kobo
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:38 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
Epub should be fine, she has a kobo
Correct......I just misread her 'converting to epub is cumbersome'.....
Old 11-08-2010, 05:21 PM   #5
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Try Google searchs like: "ebook retailers" for listings of sites that offer ebooks, then
search on those sites for "cooking"

Luck;
Ken

A sample:
http://www.diesel-ebooks.com/cgi-bin...me-ebooks.html

If you then go to the Cooking section (2000+ebooks) and select the "Reference"
subsection (80+ebooks) you might find some that meet your needs and pocketbook.

Then there is always "Inkmesh"
http://inkmesh.com/search/?start=0&q...A%22Cooking%22

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 11-08-2010 at 05:51 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:23 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Try Google searchs like: "ebook retailers" for listings of sites that offer ebooks, then
search on those sites for "cooking"

Luck;
Ken
or go here to our own wiki, and check on 'free ebooks' and 'ebook stores'
Old 11-08-2010, 07:20 PM   #7
hpjrt
Connoisseur
hpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watch

Thanks everyone!

desertgrandma: I use the library a lot ... but in this case, I want to be able to give the book to my daughter-in-law ... already on the Kobo ... so borrowing from the library isn't an option at this point ... and thanks for the Wiki link ... I don't think I've seen that before ... although I recall seeing references to it!

Mary
Old 11-08-2010, 09:11 PM   #8
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Here's a recent cookbook that's currently free @ Kobo. Author lastname and publishing house name kind of match up, so it may be self-pub, but it's nicely formatted with pictures and chapter marks for each individual recipe.

Also, you may want to look at Project Gutenberg's user-contributed cookbook shelf selection. Some of their stuff will be a bit dated, but some will still be solidly written basic cookery that perhaps goes into a bit more helpful detail than today's trend towards glossy themed recipe collections.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:19 AM   #9
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Some of their stuff will be a bit dated, but some will still be solidly written basic cookery that perhaps goes into a bit more helpful detail than today's trend towards glossy themed recipe collections.
In general, most older cookbooks do not go into as much detail as most modern cookbooks. Older cookbooks assume you know how to butterfly a whole chicken. Newer cookbooks about basics assume you don't know you should take out the little plastic bag of goop before roasting.

I've started putting together my own cook book of sorts. As I come across recipes I like I clip them and paste them into WordPad. My Sony can read that format directly--I assume you could convert it into something else with Calibre if you can't. I tag the heck out of the recipes with Calibre so I can find something I'm looking for easily.
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:20 AM   #10
ThePage
Connoisseur
ThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 4, eBookwise & Literati
I think that they are scarce everywhere - at least in one's preferred format.

Among the few Multiformat currently offered at Fictionwise is one possibility that comes close: Old Fashioned Family Recipes by Marilynn Mansfield who also has her Cookie Crazy Cookbook on the site. Books I've purchased there are - Heavenly Cookies Cookbook by Janette Dixon and Sassy Southern Classy Cajun by Sylvia Dickey Smith.

Both Sylvia and Marlyn also have fiction books offered on the site.
ThePage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 06:01 PM   #11
hpjrt
Connoisseur

Thanks everyone! I'll check out all these things. I appreciate the input.

Mary