Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-20-2010, 10:13 PM   #1
queshaw
queshaw began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx graphite
3g bridge like device?

Hi,

I got confused when I ordered my kindle dx (graphite colored) and thought it had wifi support. Whispernet does not reach where I live, so I have no network access, unless I drive into town.

I know next to nothing about 3g. Is there something that can plugin to my LAN that broadcasts and receives the 3g signal so that I can have network access?

Someone pointed out AT&T's microcell:

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/why/3gmicrocell/

But I can't tell if they are saying that you need AT&T service, because you need it, or if it's like someone saying "use 2 cups of lady brannaghans slug paste", when any ordinary slug paste would do.

Do you know?
queshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:07 PM   #2
paperwastage
Groupie
paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle DX Graphite
the KDXG only has 3G/2G, so far from looking at the FCC ID and specs, no hardware support at all for wifi

so you can only use cellular connection for internet... you can still transfer files via USB

you sure you don't have ANY at&t signal at your place? 2G/EDGE still might work, at lower speeds

microcell requires you to have a plan imo, since whenever you use it, the minutes still get deducted from your plan even though the traffic goes over your broadband...
paperwastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2010, 12:19 AM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
load books via computer, its easy
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:34 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by queshaw View Post
Someone pointed out AT&T's microcell:
From AT&T 3G MicroCell™ Frequently Asked Questions:
Quote:
Q. Is AT&T 3G MicroCell compatible with devices like the Kindle™, Nook™, Sony Reader, or QUE™?

A. Not at this time. Support for these non-traditional wireless devices on 3G MicroCell is currently being reviewed
Even if this was not the case, you would still likely need an AT&T prepaid cell phone contract in addition to the MicroCell.

Side-loading via USB works well enough. Or you can return the KDX and get a Kindle 3.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 02:59 AM   #5
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
The newer GSM based Kindles all use the AT&T network so it would have to be a AT&T microcell. The problem is that you have to be the owner of the AT&T account to be able to associate it with your microcell. As the owner is Amazon, this means that a microcell won't work. It would be a security risk if you could associate any cell account to your microcell without proof that you own that account because you'd be able to intercept the calls or data.

Unless AT&T and Amazon come up with a new service where they offer microcells, this won't work and also can't be hacked to do so either.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2010, 03:12 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
The newer GSM based Kindles all use the AT&T network so it would have to be a AT&T microcell.
That's true in the US, but not of course elsewhere. In the UK, for example, they use Vodafone.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:54 PM   #7
ConstantineXVI
ConstantineXVI began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
The newer GSM based Kindles all use the AT&T network so it would have to be a AT&T microcell. The problem is that you have to be the owner of the AT&T account to be able to associate it with your microcell. As the owner is Amazon, this means that a microcell won't work. It would be a security risk if you could associate any cell account to your microcell without proof that you own that account because you'd be able to intercept the calls or data.

Unless AT&T and Amazon come up with a new service where they offer microcells, this won't work and also can't be hacked to do so either.
Thanks to the K3 having wifi, the chances of that are very close to nil.
ConstantineXVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:12 PM   #8
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's true in the US, but not of course elsewhere. In the UK, for example, they use Vodafone.
Oops yes. I'm in the UK so thats even more of a mistake!

Vodafone if its a B00A K3 and AT&T if its all other Kindles
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle dx, slug paste