Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-20-2010, 01:21 AM   #1
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Unable to download metadata, covers

I seem unable to download any metadata and covers - a new problem that I first noticed a day ago. It occurs with all files - azw and mobi, purchased and free books. I get this error message for the providers:
Google books - error 10061 - no connection because the target machine refuses it
ISBNDA - error - Could not fetch ISBNDA data

I have obtained another licence through the ISBN but no dice, have also downloaded the latest calibre and still no luck. I have the update 2.5 but as these books havent been loaded onto the kindle yet, that isnt the issue.

Obviously I can load the data manually, but something has happened.

Help please?
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 05:43 PM   #2
rjaaa
rjaaa began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I am having same issue as posted on 5/17. Not only does this affect Metadata downloads, it also impacts Fetch News. Please, someone help solve this issue!
rjaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2010, 06:09 PM   #3
doodlefutz
doodlefutz began at the beginning.

Device: nook
I'm going to have to chime in on this one. I just got my first (official) ereader- and discovered Calibre!

Unfortunately, I'm having the same problems as Pushka and rjaaa. I'm running on win7 x64- and everything except the network connection works fine. When I try to fetch metadata though, I get the same error messages that Pushka described. I've tried to connect on two separate networks, with and without the router, with windows firewall disabled, and added calibre as exception to the firewall. I've even gone so far as to uninstall and try previous versions- I've tried 6.50 through 6.53 inclusive, with no luck. If it's any help, the previous versions of calibre throw different error codes for google books- I get an 11004 error (if I remember correctly). I've registered for an ISBNDB key as well, but that doesn't work either.

Any suggestions?
doodlefutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:52 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The only thing I can think of is broken proxy settings. Run a news download and in the log there will be a

Using proxies:

line that should tell you what proxies are being used. If they're old/broken you need to go into your network settings and remove them.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:53 PM   #5
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlefutz View Post
Any suggestions?
I know it's no help to you, but all the metadata fetch options work correctly for me. It's unlikely to be a Calibre problem. It's more likely to be an aggressive antivirus, firewall or internet security program you're running. Do you have anything like that?
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2010, 09:02 PM   #6
doodlefutz
doodlefutz began at the beginning.

Device: nook
It totally was the proxy settings. I had contracted some virus a few days ago, and thought I had cleaned it out. It turns out that it set some proxy options that I had missed. Anyway, it works now!

Thanks for the pointer.
doodlefutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 12:24 AM   #7
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlefutz View Post
It totally was the proxy settings. I had contracted some virus a few days ago, and thought I had cleaned it out. It turns out that it set some proxy options that I had missed. Anyway, it works now!

Thanks for the pointer.
This is exactly what happened to me in the last three days. But unlike you I dont have a clue how to fix it. I searched for proxy settings but am clueless! My IE doesnt work - no doubt this is part of the deal - but I use firefox anyway. Helllppppp Step by step please.

PS OK, so I got IE working again by removing those settings - it was using a proxy, but still cant get metadata happening.

PPS OK, my fiddling with IE have now fixed up Calibre too! Thanks Kovid! All good now.

Last edited by Pushka; 05-22-2010 at 01:14 AM.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote