Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-09-2010, 12:03 PM   #1
kristinanoel
kristinanoel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
please help: library books on kindle dx w/ a mac?

Hi there

just got a Kindle DX from a friend who's fallen in love with the iPad. I like it, but what I would REALLY like is to access the mobi books available from my library. (I know. sony. but can't argue with a free e-book reader...)

I'm on a mac. Is this possible? I've been scouring the forum for help, and I think I know the basic steps required:
find the kindle PID, borrow book from library using kindle pid, alter drm, fix mobi for kindle use, transfer (usb) to kindle.

Has anyone out there done this from a mac? Would you be able to walk me through it?

thanks!

PS - I'm not a book stealer - i just want to access the stuff my library has! It disappears in 3 weeks, which is fine by me.

pps - other newbie kindle questions:
1. is it possible to show books in my 'home' screen with thumbnails of the covers? how?

2. when shopping the kindle storefront, I don't see prices on the books on the browsing screens - have to go to the book detail, which seems kind of tedious. is this a setting I can change?
kristinanoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 12:16 PM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have not been able to use library books on my kindle but that is because my library does not have ebooks for download... but to answer your question, yes it can be done and on a mac
There are python scrips out there that you can use to get the PID for your Kindle. Once you have that you can either download the book and remove the DRM to read it on your Kindle or you can "fix" the book to be able to read it on the kindle all DRM'ed and what not. If you ask me it is better to just remove the DRM all together.
You are going to run in to moral dilemmas that, well, I am not going to talk about since people do what people do.

I can email you the scripts if you need them or you can google: MobiDeDrm.py Kindle PID.py Kindlefix.py
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2010, 12:45 PM   #3
kristinanoel
kristinanoel began at the beginning.

yes! please do email me the scripts! I was able to find the kindle pid, i downloaded a book, and it shows up in calibre. I need scripts for
- removing drm
- converting for kindle (unless calibre can do that?)
also - i've never used scripts before, so as much help (step by step) as you can give me would be much appreciated.
thanks!
kristinanoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 01:02 PM   #4
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You need to PM me you email addy
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle dx, library ebooks, overdirve